Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRT Rally - info about the next patch

OzoreXS said:
Now this is getting funny.... 970, problems on DR.

Of course is your CPU, your a appreciation is just a vain effort of the CPU trying to process the stuff... and generating bottlenecks with its irregular framerates.
People have been complaining about stuttering on the 970's since the game was released on EA.

Yesterday i turned all the graphics to minimum. Run fine. Just turned Ground Cover ON the problem remains. I will wait for the patch to see what will happen.

WRCPilot said:
Yesterday i turned all the graphics to minimum. Run fine. Just turned Ground Cover ON the problem remains. I will wait for the patch to see what will happen.
Given that the ground cover is effectively filling the screen with a lot of 2D objects, which are computed by the CPU, I would agree with most that it is the cause of your stuttering due to you having an outdated CPU. The fact it has a lot of cores may actually make things worse, as games are better off with less faster cores than more slower ones. Or maybe not the cause, but definitely it has something to say in this.

Something you can try, is to disable pagefile and see if the problem persist. If you have an SSD, then create a pagefile that is about 8-12GB in size on it, remove the pagefile from other partitions/drives. If neither of those things help (creating a big pagefile removed stuttering in Dark Souls 3 for me and few other titles that are RAM heavy) then... I've run out of ideas. The stuttering fix have been deployed a long time ago and people that had it no longer experience it, so not sure if they'll be looking into this very case specific issue yet again.

You may want to re-install your graphical drivers with a software known as DDU. Also re-install your drivers for the steering wheel (if you have one). Last thing I could suggest is trying to force Anisotropic Filtering in DiRT Rally through drivers, namely nVidia Inspector. Useful tool for some extra stuff.
SkiddyMcCrash said:
People have been complaining about stuttering on the 970's since the game was released on EA.
Well, there's also the fact that both of you have a 970 and don't experience stuttering (afaik) for quite a long time now, right?

WRCPilot said:
Given that the ground cover is effectively filling the screen with a lot of 2D objects, which are computed by the CPU, I would agree with most that it is the cause of your stuttering due to you having an outdated CPU. The fact it has a lot of cores may actually make things worse, as games are better off with less faster cores than more slower ones. Or maybe not the cause, but definitely it has something to say in this.

Something you can try, is to disable pagefile and see if the problem persist. If you have an SSD, then create a pagefile that is about 8-12GB in size on it, remove the pagefile from other partitions/drives. If neither of those things help (creating a big pagefile removed stuttering in Dark Souls 3 for me and few other titles that are RAM heavy) then... I've run out of ideas. The stuttering fix have been deployed a long time ago and people that had it no longer experience it, so not sure if they'll be looking into this very case specific issue yet again.

You may want to re-install your graphical drivers with a software known as DDU. Also re-install your drivers for the steering wheel (if you have one). Last thing I could suggest is trying to force Anisotropic Filtering in DiRT Rally through drivers, namely nVidia Inspector. Useful tool for some extra stuff.
SkiddyMcCrash said:
Well, there's also the fact that both of you have a 970 and don't experience stuttering (afaik) for quite a long time now, right?
OK! I will try that. Thanks!!!

OzoreXS said:
Now this is getting funny.... 970, problems on DR.

Of course is your CPU, your a appreciation is just a vain effort of the CPU trying to process the stuff... and generating bottlenecks with its irregular framerates.
Dunno man... personal experience, never had a single GFX problem since the very early access.

Same here with my "poor" MSI GTX960 2GB, with those settings I have constant 60FPS and no trace of stuttering at every location:

I can even set trees and crowd at ultra without problems. The FPS killer for me are shadows and shaders.
(I7-2600, 8GB, 7200 RPM HDD, Win 7, Nv 368.22)

Now that yo post that i remenber one thing. The Water ans Weather settings in mine have to be set to máximum. If i lower the water i have more problems that Ground Cover. Dont understand. 

Things in your system need to be in balance, there is only so much compensation a machine can do.

You have a CPU that's years older and slower than mine, and a GFX card that's the same, but in the other direction.

Components do not work that independently of each other, one feeds the other etc. etc.  I am honestly not surprised you have small/odd issues with your game play when your hardware is fighting amongst itself all the time.  #bottleneck

Things in your system need to be in balance, there is only so much compensation a machine can do.

You have a CPU that's years older and slower than mine, and a GFX card that's the same, but in the other direction.

Components do not work that independently of each other, one feeds the other etc. etc.  I am honestly not surprised you have small/odd issues with your game play when your hardware is fighting amongst itself all the time.  #bottleneck
Yes you are right!!!

Whats your configuration by the way?

And if i try install Windows 10? I have to do a dual boot, because i cant format the drive were windows 7 are now (i need to work with it, and if something goes wrong a lost my files). I have backups but i cant take any risks now ....but i think this dont resolve the problem.

I will wait for the patch and see what happens. If dont fix it, i will do a clean install of windows 10 when i can. If dont fix...i have to buy a new  CPU.

The patch will came this month?

sometime this month for the patch but we still do not have a ETA for it, when Codemasters knows its pass the console cert test then we get a timeframe

SkiddyMcCrash said:
No. It never stopped stuttering. Codies fixed one stuttering problem by remappinng the CPU usage on multicore systems, but the stuttering as reported originally still continues.

SkiddyMcCrash said:
No. It never stopped stuttering. Codies fixed one stuttering problem by remappinng the CPU usage on multicore systems, but the stuttering as reported originally still continues.
Seeing as you have an AMD CPU, just like the other person here who also suffers from stuttering, albeit his is a lot older... well, let me just say this. Intel-Nvidia configs don't seem to suffer from the same issues that AMD-Nvidia configs do, or it's very rare and due to other things (OS in a very bad state, etc.).

The #JustAMDthings is more true than people want to admit. Sure, nVidia and Intel have their own issues, but those are usually stability related, sometimes performance. Only AMD comes up with things that are outright... weird and un-explainable.

Since there are people who have a 970 and don't have stuttering at all, then the cause of your stuttering can't be 970... alone. It's the configuration of your hardware that is producing the issue, which is a scenario that is closest to your statement. In every other way, the 970 isn't the cause of the stuttering at all. Like I mentioned here already, stuttering can be caused by... essentially everything and nothing, which is why it's so difficult to get rid of once it appears.

Just to give an example, @Snaky115 has a pure AMD rig as opposed to my Intel-nVidia one (i5+GTX670). We both have similar play time in DR and perform at about the same level, yet he encountered bugs on a pretty regular basis now that I never did even once. When a bug happens on my side, as far as I remember he always could re-create it or simply it also happened to him sooner or later. Explanation? #JustAMDthings. Another AMD user, @Jepsertti , also agrees with that hash tag every single time.

SkiddyMcCrash said:
Seeing as you have an AMD CPU, just like the other person here who also suffers from stuttering, albeit his is a lot older... well, let me just say this. Intel-Nvidia configs don't seem to suffer from the same issues that AMD-Nvidia configs do, or it's very rare and due to other things (OS in a very bad state, etc.).

The #JustAMDthings is more true than people want to admit. Sure, nVidia and Intel have their own issues, but those are usually stability related, sometimes performance. Only AMD comes up with things that are outright... weird and un-explainable.

Since there are people who have a 970 and don't have stuttering at all, then the cause of your stuttering can't be 970... alone. It's the configuration of your hardware that is producing the issue, which is a scenario that is closest to your statement. In every other way, the 970 isn't the cause of the stuttering at all. Like I mentioned here already, stuttering can be caused by... essentially everything and nothing, which is why it's so difficult to get rid of once it appears.

Just to give an example, @Snaky115 has a pure AMD rig as opposed to my Intel-nVidia one (i5+GTX670). We both have similar play time in DR and perform at about the same level, yet he encountered bugs on a pretty regular basis now that I never did even once. When a bug happens on my side, as far as I remember he always could re-create it or simply it also happened to him sooner or later. Explanation? #JustAMDthings. Another AMD user, @Jepsertti , also agrees with that hash tag every single time.
It must be an AMD cpu thing then, because I have an Intel-AMD system (i5+7870) and I don't really have any stutters

Didzis said:
It must be an AMD cpu thing then, because I have an Intel-AMD system (i5+7870) and I don't really have any stutters
AFAIK Snaky also doesn't have stuttering with a pure AMD build. But like I mentioned, he has some bugs that just make you go "waaaaaaaaaaat? o.O".
It's best put this way. If you have a GPU and/or CPU from AMD, expect... unexpected. It has great performance for the price but AMD neglects to mention that they come with their own set of unique issues.

Ack, my name!

I have had funny bugs with my CPU over time (i fixed texture corruption in Borderlands 1 by OVERCLOCKING the CPU specifically not downclocking anything else >_> .. #JustPhenomThings)

Other issue i had once was in DiRT 2 i stopped my game from stuttering by stopping being a cheapskate and upgrading away from my WD Green boot drive for once! XD Yeah, i know. Then this issue returned for GRID Autosport on my WD Black, but then i disabled replays to avoid that stutter. (60 FPS replay file holy shite)

I think i had stutter for Rally initially, but then they moved the replays to RAM for once.

DiRT Rally? Probably the most stable DiRT game i've had - it helps i got an R9 280X for D-Rally, not an HD 5770 like DiRT 2 and 3.
Ground Cover in D-Rally though. That is a big FPS loss, probably more than i expect it to after the super high FPS of DiRT 2 on max settings.

Still annoyed that i have to use AA to stop vegetation from pixelating. Forgot if this was AMD GPU only issue or wider spread (had this first in Serious Sam 3)

Tyo, i wouldn't go lumping that stuff so completely as you have done.  I will say that the last 4 years of AMD CPUs have been sub par, large die process and poor throughput.

Either way, systems do need to be in some semblance of balance, otherwise you'll get weird stuff going on, such as those things mentioned.  Memory seems to be something that people aren't getting right these days, sometimes through no fault of their own.
Systems didn't really work at all if that wasn't clocked correctly, these days, people aren't even aware whether it is or not, and lots of apps/games don't notice, but it is affecting DR.

Not had any problems with my 6950(70) or with my current 280x.  Running Intel CPU though.

Yesterday i test Dying Light: The Following that contain grass/folliage like the ground cover in dirt rally. Test Crysis 3. Everything fine.
Not a problem with old Dirt games. I dont want to say that who have only AMD CPU suffer from this, because there are people with Intel with the same problem.

If all games run fine except Dirt Rally with ground cover on...i think something is wrong. Dont know. In Dirt Rally EA i think this problem dont exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2gEpdQsyQ this guy have the same CPU that i have and a GTX 660 and dont have problems in any version of the game. Lucky guy :P