DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logitech G920, a Wheel Nub's Journey

Going to pick mine up in a minute from a well known electronics store along the lines of 'vindaloos' (or kormas if you're not fond of the fiery stuff...) and 'Personal Computer...um...Planet' for £179! Great price for those of you still thinking about getting one.....would have been longer before I got a wheel but at that price I'm not complaining... :)

And if anyone has any tips on how to setup then thay would be great! Heard about the brake sponge thingy and some people take it out some don't. ...
Also...I know. ..the soft lock option

I run the G920 but can't for the life of me, remember my settings.  I'll try and get on later for a race, il post my FFB settings.

As for the pedals, remove that brake thing if you can.  I kept my old G27 pedals because of the brakes!

Cheers @KevM that would be ace!
I'll try and see if I can get rid of the spongebob 
I've just set the thing to best I can....can't control worth a damn but I'm smiling like a Cheshire cat lol

It'll transform your game friend, it's just awesome!!
Nearly sure it's all 65% except Self Aligning torque at 85%. Centre & Softlock stay at 100%. With G920 pedals, I think I had saturation at 35% to avoid the hard pedal part

Wow! Almost there....I had all at 70 apart from the usual others left at default like you said and the brake saturation at 30! Aligning torque I'll take down a notch.....let you know how I get on lol

Happy Rallying! :).                              

Took them all down to 60 bar aligning torque...that o took down to 70 cos I've got small arms lol although going kart in next week so I guess whacking it up full should come in handy for training my arms haha
The breaks....still a wee bit too stiff for my liking...haven't been able to figure out how to take that damn thing out but I'm sure there's a guide out there somewhere!
Getting better but very tough to get used to after the pad but definately worth the time! 
Thanks for your help @KevM dude :)

Right...having a blast! But...the breaks...no matter how hard I press down it doesn't seem to go 100%. I've read on her and others that the rubber mod on the breaks can be taken out with fee screwdrivers to hand but I've also read that I should give it a few weeks of use and that it should be softer....what are everybody's thoughts on this? I'm loathe to take apart a new piece of kit but if it has to be done it has to be done. My left leg is now huge from the exercise and like what Rafa Nadal's left arm is to his right..MASSIVE....small....MASSIVE....teeny..

@RinusRally

Yeah, I know...that's why I'm kind of umming and aaahing about it. Thing is, my daughter loves DR too and was just starting to get used to the pad but with the pedals, there's no way she'll be able to achieve 100% even with saturation taken right down (she's 9 lol).

Has anyone taken the rubber thingy off? And is there still a progressive feel to it but not as stiff as the 13th Duke of Wybourne in a nunnery?

I race on the G29 - pretty much the same thing, only on the PS4. I'm sure that the pedals are identical. My personal opinion is that the brake pedal is actually the best part of my rig. Don't be shy to muscle it.

I have mine mounted onto a stand, which helps with stability and it not moving. I say stick with it 'til you get used to it. I wouldn't open up a brand new piece of equipment, as someone else mentioned, at the risk of voiding my warranty.

Yeah, I've read great write ups for both G29 and G920, both based on G27 apparently and the G27 doesn't have the stopper.

The warranty thing is what's stopping me atm, think I'm going to wait until after a few weeks of heavy use and see if it makes a difference.

Apparently though, there isn't a seal or anything to break when opening up the base to void warranty...

I've seen some crazy drastic solutions to this, one of them was replacing it with an after market spring for the brake pedal at £30 which I thought was absolutely bonkers! For the record, no, I'm not looking into those kinds of solutions lol

Cheers for all the advice folks!

I should really rename this thread 'Journey of a Wheel Nub' to help others in the same boat as this is my first wheel ever. Crazy thing is, I can drift in a real car but not in game lmao!

Got a plan!! Going to give the brake pedal a few hundred (!) pushes with my hand to replicate use and see if that makes a difference. The consistency of the rubber tube is apparently like dense foam akin to gromits in plumbing!

Did you try 30% saturation on the brakes?  I feel your pain, I had no brake feel whatsoever with the 920 pedals, so sold them with my G27 & kept my old ones...

Lol I don't have that option!
Yeh, brake saturation at 30pc. One thing I haven't done though is to calibrate the pedals yet.....give that a try in half hr when I get back from work 

Yeah, try that.  I ran 30 and when depressed to the spongy thing, I got 100pc brake force!

Since you have warranty on your stuff. 2 years or so. I would advice not to open it your wheel or pedals. Only open it if you warranty is gone or you bought it used. 
To my knowledge, the G920 pedals don't have any sort of seal on them, and if taken apart, you'd never be able to tell.

Success!!!! 
Calibrated....should have done that first lol
And now, much better!!
Got the brake pedal now at 40%, 100% force when down a wee bit on the sponge by around half an inch
Getting close to the pad times and that's with mistakes so defo getting better with wheel. My wee girl's having a go as I type and she's enjoying it massively lol
Thanks for all your help everyone! 

Right, after a few days I'm getting used to it but still far off pad pace. Just sharing this if it helps anyone that if you get a wheel,  don't be afraid to turn the abs off, and maybe all the others too for that matyer. I thought it would help but it defo doesn't!  
Sliding round corners much easier with them all off and also getting my arms in a twist through hairpins but love it!
Next buy maybe a wheel stand......current setup leaves much to be desired lol
Anyone  have any suggestions? Budget around a ton and not much more than that I'm afraid :(

There should be something in the tutorials telling players to turn off  Traction Control and Stability Control, or leave them off by default. They may help a bit in road racing but in rally they get in the way. I can see having ABS on, but still I'm definitely faster without it, and I think most people would be after they adjust to it.

That's my sentiments exactly @BadD0g! Getting better without the aids on was soemthing I wanted to do as I knew it would be faster overall. And that's exactly what we want isn't it? :)

I got the G29 today, also struggling to get used to the brake pedal, 55% saturation seems to work for me atm... At 100% I actually start to hear my chair creaking with the pressure my back puts on it! :smiley:

I have the Wheelstand Pro and like it, although with the G29, the shaft that supports the wheel gets slightly in the way of my braking leg... Other cheap alternatives would be the GT Omega stand (but it's not as easy to fold to put away) and the Playseat Challenge, which doesn't seem very comfortable to me (position is too reclined with no real head support, that would kill my neck). Don't know of anything else in this price range...

Yeh @pEst410, had a look at the Wheel stand Pro V2. Looks like a good piece of kit for the price and the reviews seem very positive. However, like you've pointed out, the middle pole may get in the way; some reviews have stated it doesn't but others have...I suppose it depends on how you use the pedals...Ive got brakes at 30% and gets to just about 90 odd force when it hits the stopper. Slowly getting used to the weight of the pedals and can't help but think a stand would do wonders for my posture too lol

You need a cheap PC desk & get those pedals up against the wall, where you can really stomp on the brakes!