Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Am I the only one who doesn't like a stiff brake pedal?

Recommended Posts

I've tried a T150 pedal mod for a couple of days and a G29 for a whole day and always went back to my T150. I just can't get used to that stiffness (had the Microsoft FFB, Logitech Momo and DFGT before). I also like a clear stop to my pressing movement, not to squeeze something and not be able to tell clearly if I squeezed it to 100%... And comparing to my car (while stationary at least), the T150 brake pedal is actually closer (although slightly lighter), while the G29 with that rubber damper is waaaay to stiff...

I'm curious how the T3PA compares... If you remove the brake mod, is it like the T300? Does the brake mod allow you to have it still quite light and feel a clear stop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I bought a T3PA when my T300 pedals started making squeaky noises after a couple of months use (and I really wanted a clutch pedal).

Tried to use the brake mod, as in my day-to-day car I've always prefered a hard brake pedal.
For gaming I hated it for exactly the same reason you stated. Way too hard to press down, with no feedback through the pedal on how hard I was braking or knowing when it was fully down.
I'd say the T3PA brake pedal without mod is still slightly harder than the stock T300, so it's still an improvement. How it compares to the G29 or high end enthusiast pedals I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks, good to know that if I get them, even without the brake mod there will still be a slight improvement.

Btw, did you try spraying inside your squeaky pedals with WD40? It was probably just dust, it grabs to the lubricant inside like crazy (my experience from opening older pedals I had)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have the t3pa pedals, and the brake without the conical mod is exactly the same than the crap t300 stock pedals. You need the conical mod installed just as a matter of justice. It comes with the pedals. Just use it.

Anyway I'm miles faster with the 360 controller in this game than with my t300. So no conical mod no nothing . Just finger triggers :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, tried to lubricate, but didn't help. Possibly I wasn't able to reach the squeaky spot.

At least it was a good excuse to get the better half to agree to the investment of a new set of pedals. The noise is a lot more annoying for those around you that are not wearing headphones. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
foppaldo said:
Yeah, tried to lubricate, but didn't help. Possibly I wasn't able to reach the squeaky spot.
I'm sorry, I'm childish.
Anyways, in my little crappy car I have a super light brake pedal that I'm not even sure actually gets progressively stiffer. I might need new brakes. In my dads 07 Camry he has 4 wheel disc brakes, and a very stiff pedal, so it was weird trying to drive it. It's probably closer to my Fanatec pedals potentiometer that's very stiff, and requires I cut the pedal travel to about 85% since any further is almost impossible and pushes the pedals or me away. You should get used to whatever pedals you're using, as long as they have some resistance. Pedals with zero resistance suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZStudios said:
Anyways, in my little crappy car I have a super light brake pedal that I'm not even sure actually gets progressively stiffer. I might need new brakes. In my dads 07 Camry he has 4 wheel disc brakes, and a very stiff pedal, so it was weird trying to drive it. It's probably closer to my Fanatec pedals potentiometer that's very stiff, and requires I cut the pedal travel to about 85% since any further is almost impossible and pushes the pedals or me away. You should get used to whatever pedals you're using, as long as they have some resistance. Pedals with zero resistance suck.
Yeah I imagine with brake discs it's stiffer, I only have brake pads on my crappy Punto though... I sorta like my T150 pedals, I like that there's some progression at the end and that I can tell when I've pressed it fully since it hits the base, I just wish the spring was a little stiffer. I suppose the G29 brake spring stiffness with a not as hard damper allowing me to feel it hit the end of the progression would be ideal for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I like stiff stuff. Makes it's easier to be more precise. It also give more enjoyable feel than when it's too limp.  Better have it tight. 

Sorry, couldn't resist :)
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @pEst410

Check out the settings I've commented on with my G920 (basically same as G29 but for XB1) in this thread: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/178546#Comment_178546

May be of some help :)


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey mate, i had the same problem with my g920 pedals, i opened up my pedals and removed the "rubber brake mod", now my brake pedal feels perfect, there is still stiffness to it, so don't worry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pEst410 said:
JZStudios said:
Anyways, in my little crappy car I have a super light brake pedal that I'm not even sure actually gets progressively stiffer. I might need new brakes. In my dads 07 Camry he has 4 wheel disc brakes, and a very stiff pedal, so it was weird trying to drive it. It's probably closer to my Fanatec pedals potentiometer that's very stiff, and requires I cut the pedal travel to about 85% since any further is almost impossible and pushes the pedals or me away. You should get used to whatever pedals you're using, as long as they have some resistance. Pedals with zero resistance suck.
Yeah I imagine with brake discs it's stiffer, I only have brake pads on my crappy Punto though... I sorta like my T150 pedals, I like that there's some progression at the end and that I can tell when I've pressed it fully since it hits the base, I just wish the spring was a little stiffer. I suppose the G29 brake spring stiffness with a not as hard damper allowing me to feel it hit the end of the progression would be ideal for me.
Hahahaha, I thought you said Pinto, the crappy Ford that's more often called the chariot of fire, but Punto is even worse. XD I don't know about in Italy, but here near Mexico it's slang for the schnooter.
I'm sure if you wanted you could buy stiffer springs and put them on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZStudios said: Hahahaha, I thought you said Pinto, the crappy Ford that's more often called the chariot of fire, but Punto is even worse. XD I don't know about in Italy, but here near Mexico it's slang for the schnooter.
I'm sure if you wanted you could buy stiffer springs and put them on.
Yeah well, I returned the G29 anyway :) I didn't like the feel of the wheel in my hands (prefer the T150) and didn't like the idea of having to remove 20+ screws and nuts to remove the damper, risking voiding the warranty and then I would have a stiffer spring but less progression than T150 pedals (and I don't care much for a clutch as I mostly play rally or F1)... I remember when I opened the Logitech Momo pedals and then it was a nightmare to assemble them back and still have that spiky carpet bit functioning...

I couldn't even tell much difference in FFB besides it being very slightly heavier. I paid 80% more for the G29 than the T150 and it's certainly not 80% better so I'd rather keep that £££, wait until the T300 gets below £200 and then go there + maybe shifter and T3PA pedals eventually which let me add and remove the damper without opening it, and adjust progression stiffness.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pEst410 said:
JZStudios said: Hahahaha, I thought you said Pinto, the crappy Ford that's more often called the chariot of fire, but Punto is even worse. XD I don't know about in Italy, but here near Mexico it's slang for the schnooter.
I'm sure if you wanted you could buy stiffer springs and put them on.
Yeah well, I returned the G29 anyway :) I didn't like the feel of the wheel in my hands (prefer the T150) and didn't like the idea of having to remove 20+ screws and nuts to remove the damper, risking voiding the warranty and then I would have a stiffer spring but less progression than T150 pedals (and I don't care much for a clutch as I mostly play rally or F1)... I remember when I opened the Logitech Momo pedals and then it was a nightmare to assemble them back and still have that spiky carpet bit functioning...

I couldn't even tell much difference in FFB besides it being very slightly heavier. I paid 80% more for the G29 than the T150 and it's certainly not 80% better so I'd rather keep that £££, wait until the T300 gets below £200 and then go there + maybe shifter and T3PA pedals eventually which let me add and remove the damper without opening it, and adjust progression stiffness.


Are you on PS4 or PC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pEst410 said:
JZStudios said:
Are you on PS4 or PC?
PS4
Oh, then yeah, your options are pretty limited. I'd say, if the TM wheel worked, it's better than the Logitech. Unfortunately reliability isn't it's strong suit. It's almost like it's made in Italy or something. Also the pre-packaged wheel sets they have are an absolute rip off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got a question about the T150 brake pedal: the default brake pedal is already too stiff for me. Is it possible to open the pedal and remove something to make it less stiff? There's been also a brake pedal mod included in the package, but why, does it make the default pedal even stiffer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Makromatic said:

i got a question about the T150 brake pedal: the default brake pedal is already too stiff for me. Is it possible to open the pedal and remove something to make it less stiff? There's been also a brake pedal mod included in the package, but why, does it make the default pedal even stiffer?

What do you mean "it's too stiff"? You can't depress it 100%? If you can, but it's hard, just keep at it and you will get used to it eventually. It's that stiff for a very good reason, which is that our muscles are better at "memorising" pressure rather than postion. Racing cars have extremely stiff brake pedals for this reason. If you remove the thing that's making the pedal progressively stiffer you will lose out on braking accuracy. By the way, start driving with your shoes on if you aren't already. It will be much easier to depress it, just like in a real car. If you still can't depress it completely then lower the in game saturation so that you can achieve 100% input.

Edited by Pistro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm going to go out on a limb (pun intended) and say that yes, many rally car pedals will be stiffer than some daily driver, but not to an extreme level.  You should be able to get by on ~100lbs of pressure (maybe 200lbs for a stiffer brake setup and on tarmac).  It's a bit different to F1 cars which are known to have very stiff pedals.  If you look at rally car onboards, you can see also that there is a lot of pedal movement JUST like many regular road cars.  The idea that a rally car pedal doesn't move much is a bit nuts because they still need a long lever to generate the force required for 4 brake calipers without a booster.

So basically: just like with steering, it's not insane forces.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the conical brake mod with my T3PA pedals for like 10 seconds.  I had to push so hard on the brakes to stop the pedals were sliding away from me on the carpet.   Without the mod my pedals never move around and there is a nice spring resistance built in.  I drive with just socks to avoid getting lead-footed into the trees.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

right now i am using the clutch pedal as brake because my chair rolls backwards if i use the braking pedal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2016 at 6:12 PM, JZStudios said:
foppaldo said:
Yeah, tried to lubricate, but didn't help. Possibly I wasn't able to reach the squeaky spot.

I'm sorry, I'm childish.
Anyways, in my little crappy car I have a super light brake pedal that I'm not even sure actually gets progressively stiffer. I might need new brakes. In my dads 07 Camry he has 4 wheel disc brakes, and a very stiff pedal, so it was weird trying to drive it. It's probably closer to my Fanatec pedals potentiometer that's very stiff, and requires I cut the pedal travel to about 85% since any further is almost impossible and pushes the pedals or me away. You should get used to whatever pedals you're using, as long as they have some resistance. Pedals with zero resistance suck.

i did exactly the same with my g29 pedals:  saturation to 80%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Makromatic said:

right now i am using the clutch pedal as brake because my chair rolls backwards if i use the braking pedal.

that's why i've buyed one of these for 220euro

017.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the opposite side, I'm striving to make my brake pedal as stiff as possible. After installing conical mod on mt t3pa I put a bit of sponge between the cone and the pedal and now I'm finally happy. Of course the pedals must be firmly attached to something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have a G29 and put up with the pedals because I'm a pretty casual gamer nowadays. But back in the day I would have modded or avoided these pedals altogether. These pedals are a perfect example of Logitechs continued decline from a once top tier gaming peripheral company into what now can only be described as largely inconsistent. The brake pedal feels so bad, I struggle to believe they actually tested it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, andmcq said:

Yes, I have a G29 and put up with the pedals because I'm a pretty casual gamer nowadays. But back in the day I would have modded or avoided these pedals altogether. These pedals are a perfect example of Logitechs continued decline from a once top tier gaming peripheral company into what now can only be described as largely inconsistent. The brake pedal feels so bad, I struggle to believe they actually tested it.

i find they are really well builded. make brake are too stiff but  you can simply turn saturation down to 80%  ,  problem solved.

or if you want you can buy a rubber cone to replace the original :

 

https://www.3drap.it/product/brake-pedal-mod-console-for-xbox-ps/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×