Sign in to follow this  

DLC Alarm Bells!!!

Ive just noticed while browsing the custom lobby list, there are the symbols at the top of the screen for Collisions on/off , entrants, damage, flashbacks, DLC

Seeing the symbol for DLC has me somewhat concerned.

DLC in Grid 2 was a rip off.  It couldnt be used as everyone expected from DLC. 

You say you have learned from the mistakes on Grid 2's DLC delivery.......well I have a question then......

Why do we need a symbol to tell us if DLC is enabled in a certain lobby? 

I can only assume that its going to work the same way as Grid 2.  

Will DLC be available to use in the online playlists, if there are other players in the lobby who do not own the DLC? 
Are you assuming everyone will download a "compatibility pack"?   

This needs to be absolutely crystal clear.  

If its the same as Grid 2,  save yourselves the time and effort and dont release any. 

According to Steam, the cost of buying all DLCs on full price is $65 for Grid 2 while there is All in DLC pack which cost $35.

Grid Autosport Season Pass cost $30 for 8 content packs, you dont need to buy them separately at higher price which is a massive improvement over Grid 2 DLC policy.

The problem is, the only issue remains is how will Codemaster implement DLCs in multiplayer.

IF DLC cannot be used in online playlists, when other people are in the same lobby who dont own it.  

I wont be buying any,  or downloading any compatibility packs.

Car wise yes, you're going to be able to use them in official play lists, tracks - not so much (for obvious reasons).

The option in custom cup is being looked at, currently we're planning / investigating having filters so people can choose which DLC is enabled and as long as people have that DLC they'll be able to join. 

Loore said:
 Car wise yes, you're going to be able to use them in official play lists, tracks - not so much (for obvious reasons).

So........if I buy DLC, I can use the DLC cars in an online playlist, EVEN if 11 people in the lobby dont have the DLC? 

Will there be an option to race in custom cup without losing money every race?.  

I see lots of people playing custom cup,  They must be on minus money.  2 or 3 or 4 people just makes a serious loss.  

Not going to be much fun racing your level 50 car in custom cup, when you notice the repair bill for racing clean.  

For the car packs that's how it works :)

We're still looking at the repair costs, more news on this soon!

Well thats good news Loore.  Thanks.  :D   ^:)^

Another question thats just popped into my head.........

Right now my garage is full. Cant have another slot untill level 80. 

How are DLC cars going to work with regards to garage slots? 

Will I have to buy the DLC cars with game cash and buy a slot  or will they just be in my garage? 

I really dont like these garage slots,  Id like to eventually own EVERY car. 

B-)

Will there be an option to race in custom cup without losing money every race?.  

I see lots of people playing custom cup,  They must be on minus money.  2 or 3 or 4 people just makes a serious loss.  

Not going to be much fun racing your level 50 car in custom cup, when you notice the repair bill for racing clean.  

i just lost 200k yesterday by driving my car. And i got a lot of podiums. Im at a point where the cleanest race possible makes me lose 25%-30% durability which is (7k each) 21k repair cost all together.. FOR A SINGLE RACE. And thats at a mileage of 600 kilometers driven with that car.. not 6000, not 600K, just 600 with a track time of 4 hours. My friend seems to have hit the ceiling with 9000 each sharp. Doesnt seem to go up anymore. And for all i know hes at 800 km.

All this while a loan car that has already driven 14000! KM and got a track time of over 3 DAYS (72 HOURS) gets 1000~ repair cost at a clean race and still gets the same winnings.

And on top of all that the funny part is, you cant drive for your raceclub in a loan car, you will see no club tag in the listing and get some random livery you cant set to yours.

So i actually have to drive loan cars to EARN the POSSIBILITY to drive my own car with my club tag. This shit is beyond broken. Well i can just buy the same car again i guess.. and start leveling and unlocking those tunings.. again.

This is the part where its just not enough anymore to hear "we are looking at it".

@Loore will we be able to use expansions cars in official playlist too, or only the car packs ones?

If repairs were implemented to kill the dirty driving, its failed.  

The handling has pretty much fixed it,

Now repairs are killing our fun,

If repairs were implemented to kill the dirty driving, its failed.  

The handling has pretty much fixed it,

Now repairs are killing our fun,
As I said, we're looking into the repairs, you can expect us to act on it.

@Oscar97 - I'll check, currently I don't think you can but will get 100% confirmation.

I think the best way to solve track DLC problems with segregating online play is to follow in Forza 5's footsteps. Make the tracks free, make everyone download them, and then everyone can play together. It'll never happen, but it would be nice.

The car damage and wear needs looking at. We were promised that the online features would be balanced, they clearly are not, from leader-board's and grid positions to the more game-breaking wear and damage model. 

If this feature isn't made a priority to fix and fast, then I can see the entire multiplayer aspect collapsing altogether.I'll watch this space @Loore and @Codemasters

My solution to the track DLC is to make it depend on the person hosting the game. 

If the host has the specific track DLC, everyone in the session get to play it whether they own the DLC or not. People who dont own the DLC could play it online but they cant practice on those tracks in offline and this way wont separate the online community as well. 

Cmon @loore you gotta make track DLC work in online playlists somehow , someway . No community segregation this time . This will make me and I'm sure others not buy it. I rarely play custom so they would do me no good to buy.

I won't be buying any DLC ever.  It's a scam.

The cars and tracks should be in the original game that codemasters charge £30 - £40 for.

If nobody buys it they will soon get the message.

Cmon @loore you gotta make track DLC work in online playlists somehow , someway . No community segregation this time . This will make me and I'm sure others not buy it. I rarely play custom so they would do me no good to buy.
There are only two alternatives as I see it, they make it more available ie they lose money. Or they make it less available, get more of the money but fragment the players.

it's the tracks that cause the problems, not the cars, so if I had my way I would say to them separate all the tracks out and sell them as separate DLCs. At least then people have the option of a minimum payout to pay for the tracks.

I think a good solution to allow DLC in Playlists is just adding an option to choose what DLC is used. LIke, say, for example, there's Nurburgring and, I don't know, Watkins Glen, but you only have Nurb. When you enter a playlist, you have the option to enter a room with Nurb enabled, or with neither track enabled. This way, you'll be matched with people who have the same DLC as you. I think the way I'm explaining this looks confusing, but you get my drift, right?

The only problem with that is there's gonna be so many different combinations of DLC you can have, so the average Playlist size will suffer.

At the end of the day, I spend most of my time in Playlist, so since I can't use tracks there, I won't be getting any. Maybe some cars, but I doubt that too.

Loore said:

ok, great, thanks, I'll shut up about them then.  :D

Loore said:

ok, great, thanks, I'll shut up about them then.  :D
Junior Johnson once said, if you want to make a small fortune in racing. You will need to start with a BIG fortune.

just some input on dlc, from previous experiences with many games and dlc features. 

for car dlc, it would be unwise to bring back the policy of "only usable if everyone has it." in my time in grid 2, i found ONE LOBBY where i could use any of the dlc i paid my hard earned cash for. to contrast, such games as forza have pre-programed "dlc masking cars", in their case a VW jetta, that shows on the track for people who DONT have the dlc. this SHOULD be your approach, to not only encourage people to buy dlc because they can use the dlc anytime they want, but also because onlookers would rather see the dlc cars then see some less-appealing visual stand in.

OR what you could do is the compatibility pack approach, where each paid dlc also comes with a free required pack, which allows players who dont wanna pay for the cars to still see the vehicles on track. or simply patch in the cars, and make them "locked" unless you paid for the dlc, which, if coded properly, would have the same effect. everyone being able to use their dlc, and those without the dlc still able to see it.

as far as tracks are concerned, i agree with the "if they dont have the dlc, dont use those tracks" approach, one that has tags on such players that warns dlc-holding hosts who has what dlc, and they can kick players who lack the dlc used by players in said lobby. 

thats my 2 cents. dont be offended by any remarks, i am simply a customer who likes using the products he pays for, which is something i hope to get from grid autosport, and something i didnt get from grid 2.

by the way codemasters, i am starting to get annoyed by AI drivers using vehicles we cannot. this list includes the following cars: bmw z4 gt3 (seen in one event used by one driver), nissan r32 super modified car (used many times in many super modified events i run with friends with AIs on), alfa romeo giulietta (used occasionally, not to bothered but its a pain), and the tyler mcquarrie camaro used many times in drift events. are these future dlcs, or are you just pulling the grid one porsche trick, where you could drive them at lemans, you could race against them, but you could not own them? 

~alex98sc10

I think they're future dlc's at least I'd hope they are as there wouldn't be much point in having them there otherwise. We do know that any DLC's will be for both single player and multiplayer anyway so I think they'll be linked and installed straight into the game itself rather than operating seperately

either way those cars have been coded and added to the game, may as well make them dlc (though if they are paid DLC ill be ripped, why should I pay money for something already in the game, that the AIs get for FREE) 

Loore said:

The option in custom cup is being looked at, currently we're planning / investigating having filters so people can choose which DLC is enabled and as long as people have that DLC they'll be able to join. 
@Loore  can you please tell me which official playlist I can use my volvo, and the rest of the touring legends cars? 

Im clearly being a prize winning village idiot, as you have SO clearly stated I CAN use my cars,  Yet im struggling to find where.  

Obviously CM have NOT made the same mistake as in /Grid 2,  that would be just crazy.