Sign in to follow this  

Gene Haas Given The Green Light For F1 Team

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that a new team run by an American businessman is on track to join Formula One next year.

It will become the sport’s 12th team and the first from America since the 1980s. Formula One has not had an American driver since 2007.

The team is run by Gene Haas, the joint owner of the championship-winning Stewart-Haas Racing team, which competes in America’s Nascar stock car series. “I think Haas will be accepted,” said Ecclestone, the sport’s chief executive. “They have got the money but it’s a question of whether they are going to spend it.”

In addition to his stake in the Nascar team, Haas is also the founder of leading American engineering firm Haas Automation, which has annual revenues of around $1bn (£600m). It gives him the resources to fuel his bid and he is already using it to attract top names, as Günther Steiner, a former technical director of the four-time Formula One champions Red Bull Racing, is understood to be involved.

Source

As someone from the US, I'm cautiously optimistic that we might actually see a US-based F1 team on the grid.

fIsince08 said:
Apparently Barrichello will be one of their drivers...
Queue disappointment...

I hope that isn't true. I would rather they take someone out of GP2 + an American (since it's an American team).

EDIT: I understand the idea of having a "veteran" on the team...I just think there are better options out there.

SynGamer said:
fIsince08 said:
Queue disappointment...

I hope that isn't true. I would rather they take someone out of GP2 + an American (since it's an American team).

EDIT: I understand the idea of having a "veteran" on the team...I just think there are better options out there.
I believe it was said on Sky Sports that Barrichello would drive as a pay driver. Maybe Rossi as number 2?

fIsince08 said:
SynGamer said:
fIsince08 said:
Queue disappointment...

I believe it was said on Sky Sports that Barrichello would drive as a pay driver. Maybe Rossi as number 2?
i was just thinking Rossi might have a chance. it will be interesting to know who the sponsors will be for the team. That should tell us if they'll have money to compete or not. Still going to take a couple of seasons (at least) to be competitve I think.

I could see Scott Speed coming back to F1. He hasn't done much NASCAR recently, his last race was Atlanta last year. He's only 31, so still decently young. 

Alexander Rossi could be a nice choice, as he's young and could provide the team with talent for a while.

For some reason, I just don't see Rubens coming back. But, hey, anything is possible.

I could see Scott Speed coming back to F1. He hasn't done much NASCAR recently, his last race was Atlanta last year. He's only 31, so still decently young. 

Alexander Rossi could be a nice choice, as he's young and could provide the team with talent for a while.

For some reason, I just don't see Rubens coming back. But, hey, anything is possible.
Fingers crossed they can get Rossi, I think he would be a great fit for a new team. As for Scott Speed, he never really took off in F1. 28 races and 0 points. I think having two rookies would be better, so long as they are paired with experienced/veteran technical personnel.

Rossi's apart of the Caterham young driver programme! I doubt it would be Rossi.
Speed? I would say no.

Anyway. I'm pretty sure I saw 2016 on Sky Sports News.
The other team doesn't sound bad. Actually, it does. Led by former HRT boss. I do respect what they did when they were a team. E.g. Malaysia 2012.

Personally, the Haas F1 team deal all hinges on getting the right sponsors and funding. No driver is going to go to them unless they are ridiculously overpaid, or they have a solid foundation.

The Romanian back team is said to be using the Renault engine and will be using the ex Bavarian F1 facility.

The Romanian back team is said to be using the Renault engine and will be using the ex Bavarian F1 facility.
I haven't found a lot of information on Haas's plans, though I did find the following;

Gene Haas is determined to field a start-up team out of the Charlotte area, most likely from a new facility that would be built on land he owns near Kannapolis, N.C

Personally, that's probably the best place to start an American F1 team. While it may be considered "NASCAR country" there in the Charlotte area, it's essentially the racing hub of the East Coast. A lot of resources should be available to Haas if he decides to build the shop there. The real question will be if he can attract the right personnel to help build the team.

SynGamer said:
I haven't found a lot of information on Haas's plans, though I did find the following;

Gene Haas is determined to field a start-up team out of the Charlotte area, most likely from a new facility that would be built on land he owns near Kannapolis, N.C

Personally, that's probably the best place to start an American F1 team. While it may be considered "NASCAR country" there in the Charlotte area, it's essentially the racing hub of the East Coast. A lot of resources should be available to Haas if he decides to build the shop there. The real question will be if he can attract the right personnel to help build the team.
They could build a Facility in Austin and use the track for testing?

SynGamer said:

Anything is possible, though Haas already owns plenty of land in the Charlotte, NC area. Seeing as how the NASCAR team shops are in that area, I would imagine Haas wants to stay close to that. Plus there's a few tracks they could test at on the east coast. Charlotte for the banking, Virginia International Raceway (2 hours away) for road course. And then there's Daytona down in Florida that they could go to if needed. Or Watkins Glenn (further up the east coast) in New York...

Wasn't there another F1 team that was going to be based in Charlotte? USF1?

A quick search brought me this.

lol, I actually saw this posted on another forum earlier today. Honestly, until I see a shop built, people hired, and a car on the track, this US Formula 1 team is still a dream...though I'm cautiously optimistic :)

SynGamer said:
SynGamer said:

Anything is possible, though Haas already owns plenty of land in the Charlotte, NC area. Seeing as how the NASCAR team shops are in that area, I would imagine Haas wants to stay close to that. Plus there's a few tracks they could test at on the east coast. Charlotte for the banking, Virginia International Raceway (2 hours away) for road course. And then there's Daytona down in Florida that they could go to if needed. Or Watkins Glenn (further up the east coast) in New York...
Yes alot of tracks to choice from, Road america would be the better track to test on a road course alot of hard turns to test the brakes.

SynGamer said:
SynGamer said:

Yes alot of tracks to choice from, Road america would be the better track to test on a road course alot of hard turns to test the brakes.
Road America is in Wisconsin I believe, though yes, that would be a better road course to test on. Keep in mind Haas also owns one of the largest wind tunnels around (http://www.windshearinc.com/) and plenty of racing teams from multiple sports use it. So far, of the multiple US-based teams to try and enter F1, I feel Haas has the best chance of making it in and possibly succeeding (after a few years).