Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Throttle on Bumpy Straights

After viewing replays and listening to the throttle I noticed that on bumpy straights where constant small inputs are needed  I am off and on the throttle quite a bit (not 100% throttle though). Is it better to have constant throttle to keep the tires spinning or does it not make a difference? How do you handle those longer straights with lots of bumps that constantly need small inputs to keep going straight?

I tend to keep a steady throttle input and adjust my speed with left foot braking, I feel more comfortable doing that than lifting. As Porky said, the best method is the one you're most comfortable and confident with.

I personally from 100% throttle go to about 50-70%, depending on the bumpiness. Makes the car more stable and allows me more control over it. Naturally if there are "flat" moments in the bumpy straight, I go to flat out mode, braking when needed, etc.

Generally speaking, Porkies advice is more than on point. As long as you stay on the road and doesn't slow you down to snail pace, that's more than good enough method. Going steady at 80% can prove faster than going flatout and slowing down a lot every few meters to avoid unappointed meetings with a tree.

Thanks for the feedback. Just trying to make good habits early on. Gunna try the methods mentioned. Left foot breaking is tough for me to keep the car balanced sometimes and not too much weight going frontwards. Will try lighter breaking.

Or you could try lighter braking.   :)        

Full throttle anytime you can go flat out. This way first car might not own you by 30 seconds or so. Perhaps by 20 only

For me it depends a lot on the car and setup aswell. On RWD I generally throttle control more, on FWD it's pretty much keeping it floored and adjusting by left foot braking. 4WD I combine both, but depends a lot on the generation of 4WD cars. A group B monster with it's old crappy suspension has to be handled differently from a modern WRC car. 

Full throttle anytime you can go flat out. This way first car might not own you by 30 seconds or so. Perhaps by 20 only

I Find what you are doing to be all right. I suppose it depends on the car too. I daily drive an Evo X with 307WHP. Occasionally when traffic is out of the way I go WOT. This is where Dirt feels very good. The Evo X R4  in game accelerates with the feel of my Evo X IRL. A  good AWD system will react quickly and put power to appropriate wheels and for the most part negate the negative effects caused by the bumps. I would however, not ever try this in my RX-7 FD. That car needs a fairly smooth road to go WOT or it can become less predictable. What you are doing is just fine. 

Please put this sarcasm in one of the numerous threads that complain about AI times. Doesn't belong here.

Porky was on point, as said before. I usually just let off the throttle a little bit or simply adjust my speed accordingly.
 fernandito01 said:

uh oh ok ok folks then maybe maybe...., 15 seconds only doing a god-like perfect stage?
Just get good and stop b*tching. The only ones struggling with the AI is the people that puts zero effort into the game - meaning the tiniest minority, that everybody could do without anyway.

Lazy little cucumber.

thRoTTle thRoTTle Samy, go full thRoTTle.. go flat out, do not stop. Crash into a wall, do not stop... thRoTTle! You need a diesel Bulldozer for that because it only has one seat. No co-driver needed, just thRoTTLE.

git good zcrubz! lol

diz iz iziest AI eva! u put zer0 effort nubz! CM didn lozt ther mindz when dezignin AI taimz! xD

luzin' iz fun!

git good zcrubz! lol

diz iz iziest AI eva! u put zer0 effort nubz! CM didn lozt ther mindz when dezignin AI taimz! xD

luzin' iz fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccFpr74tG0U

git good zcrubz! lol

luzin' iz fun!

Or he could follow the advice of the people who can beat the AI.

sorry, haven't got time to read the whole thread so it may have been mentioned, but lifting off shifts weight to the front, and can induce oversteer, causing you to leave the road. But the main thing is finding something that works for you

sorry, haven't got time to read the whole thread so it may have been mentioned, but lifting off shifts weight to the front, and can induce oversteer, causing you to leave the road. But the main thing is finding something that works for you

Indeed. After jumps, I feel the car is more stable if I am on the throttle as soon as it hits the ground.