Sign in to follow this  

How to Report Spam

Hi all,

You may have noticed we've caught the attention of a few spam bots this afternoon.

Firstly we are sorry they've managed to get in and mess up the joint and we are working with the forum providers to get it stopped. 

In the meantime we have tweaked some of the forum settings to better enable you to help us police it.

To remove and report a spam post simply hover over the Flag icon at the bottom of the post and click on the Spam button.

The post should then vanish from the boards where it enters our admin/spam queue.

As a reward we'll be dishing out a special "dats the sound of da police" badge to everybody who reports one of the offending posts early next week.

• Please do not click on any of the links in these posts (for obvious reasons)
  • Please do not reply to any of the spam bots as you may end up accidentally having your account banned and deleted as part of the process (as in no way to get it back)
  • Please do not abuse the system, anybody who does abuse the system will find themselves faced with a ban

You guys are all awesome, again sorry about the teething problems with the new forum but its all part of it being in Beta still.

Any questions or comments feel free to post up below.

• Please do not abuse the system, anybody who does abuse the system will find themselves faced with a ban

What does this mean, precisely- don't flag legit posts for a laugh?

@Justbiglee I replied to the one about Maleficent before reading this... Please don't 'accidentally' delete my account! :p
Now come on, we all know that it would be intentional ;)

@justbiglee I've flagged a load of threads for spam but they don't seem to have vanished from the boards, even though you said they should vanish.

There's 19 pages of spam, meaning there's ~361 individual threads.

I think it'd be best if you shut down the forums for a day or so to fix it properly.

Just marked around 107 posts before I realised that it was pointless. Time for community mods? Perhaps you should set a number of posts before a new user can create a thread?

@justbiglee I've flagged a load of threads for spam but they don't seem to have vanished from the boards, even though you said they should vanish.
I've noticed that the posts only vanish after getting a certain number of flags (4?). Perhaps you could lower this limit if the flag comes from higher ranked users?

There's 19 pages of spam, meaning there's ~361 individual threads.

I think it'd be best if you shut down the forums for a day or so to fix it properly.

Just marked around 107 posts before I realised that it was pointless. Time for community mods? Perhaps you should set a number of posts before a new user can create a thread?
That's actually a pretty good idea. 

yugin96 said:
I've noticed that the posts only vanish after getting a certain number of flags (4?). Perhaps you could lower this limit if the flag comes from higher ranked users?
hmmm it should be doing it after 1 - will take a look at the settings thanks

That idea of a certain number of posts before creating a thread is a fantastic idea. That would undoubtedly stop the spam, or at least reduce it

yugin96 said:
hmmm it should be doing it after 1 - will take a look at the settings thanks
Heads up, they're still not going away after a single flag if they're supposed to be now.