Sign in to follow this  

Assists On or Off?

I actually find it harder these days to drive with abs on because I don't get any feel for how much grip I have for braking and how much I have for turning so I end up understeering a lot.

I have just started racing with assists off as my club races this way & am finding I prefer it now I am getting used to it, in all my previous racing games I have used both ABS/TC.

One point of interest I'd like to throw into this discussion is the fact that the WTCC does not allow any electronic driving aids, including ABS & TC, even though they may be fitted to the original production car.

The only racing games I ever tweak assists on, are NASCAR games. Usually because it's simply more fun with some of them on low or med settings (those unaware, most nascar games have varying levels of assists, not just "On/Off").

Every other racing game though, I prefer all assist off. A well made NASCAR game can be played with no assist, but none of those have been made in about 10-15 years.

As a wheel user I learn starting with everything off as I think you hide feeling from being transmitted to the wheel with aids on. For instance, the wheel will never go light from locked brakes with ABS on so you miss out on that effect in a way.

Racing line only on online.
Helps with picking up braking points at the start and also just knowing that I've committed to a more conventional line and am in the right when someone tried to fit between me and te wall

Only ABS on.  Everything else off.

I noticed that the Mini Classic has no ABS at all.  Is this the only car that we should be using the handbrake with?  Everything else goes into a mad spin if you even think about pulling on that handle.

All off, completely. Except for rewind because of stupid people online and dirty AI in the game.

I can race Assetto Corsa and iRacing with all assists off, but this game I need ABS and TC on, just because it doesn't have that same feeling. My laps are way slower with them off. It's still too arcadish to me. Still having fun no matter what I use. That's the main point. Not to be man enough.

UPDATE: Been racing with TC off, practicing and practicing, and I've found it's much easier to get quicker lap times. TC on when you are in a slide, slows your car down until the wheels catch. I've been doing much better and can run Very Hard on single player now, and do better in the RaceNet challenges.

All off for me as well as all HUD off and helmet cam only. It takes some getting your fingers used to actually using the triggers as more than buttons. Once you get used to looking ahead your movements become smoother and you don't need assists keep your overdriving in check.

Hyphy said:
I can race Assetto Corsa and iRacing with all assists off, but this game I need ABS and TC on, just because it doesn't have that same feeling. My laps are way slower with them off. It's still too arcadish to me. Still having fun no matter what I use. That's the main point. Not to be man enough.
Well in all honesty the game is more cartoon handling than authentic handling like it says on the box...

I just turn off all assists by default like I do in any racing game. I just can't stand them, cartoon handling or not.

I started all off, and I've played F1'13 and GT6 that way, but here I didn't get a good feel for the braking and after bying the '91 Nissan finally I put ABS on and it's definately better.

Quattro7 said:
Looking to get this game soon. Is it faster to run with or without assists?
It's definitely quicker to run with TC off, but I use ABS as I can't seem to find the sweet spot and always lock my brakes, it doesn't matter what I set the deadzones, etc. on my wheel to. I am always faster with ABS on, rather than off. TC slows you down too much, period. Auto gears, or not, is down to user and how good their gear changes are.

I like being able to choose which gear I'm in for a particular corner, using it as a traction aid, etc., with manual gears, but find I damage my gearbox more often with manual gears. So, it is down to how efficient the player is with gear changes as to whether they use Auto gears or not. I usually find that there isn't too much difference in time between Auto/Manual gears.

ABS on (not Always)

and sometimes TC on to, somehow i cant temper some of the car`s(in the challengers) and i spin out sometimes, especially with the open wheelers.

I cant find the right *feeling* on my analog stick :D , with a wheel in my hands it would go alot easier(i mean in real cars, never had a wheel on my pc, so cant Judge bout that)