Sign in to follow this  

The EU Referendum

Since postal votes can now be posted, I thought it would be a good time to start a thread on the EU referendum. Which way are you voting (if you don't mind sharing) and why?

Don't bite each other's heads off though.

I'll be voting to stay because I believe that the free trade agreement is vital to the North East economy - my friend's Dad is one of the bosses of Komatsu and they are very worried about what will happen to the factory if we vote leave.

I don't get a vote as I've lived outside the UK too long, but I'd be voting 'stay'. Here in Ireland, at least, the EU generally does more good than harm on balance, and from what my family tell me it's much the same back home.

Frankly, though, I'd rather there wasn't a referendum, because nobody really has the faintest idea what the implications will be either way, least of all the general public. Just seems like a potentially dangerous cop-out from the Government, to me.

I'll be voting leave.

It's mainly because of something called the TPD (Tobacco Products Directive), which has classified e-cigarettes as falling underneath their regulations despite the fact that e-cigarettes don't actually contain tobacco. With the regulations, it'd mean a market of roughly 25,000 different items, would be reduced to around 1,000. 

These devices are 95% safer than smoking (according to the Royal College of Physicians), and other studies seem to show that vaping is roughly as dangerous as breathing regular air. Yet with the TPD regulations (which started May 20th), over the next year e-cigarettes are being regulated to a point where the more basic devices, the ones produced by the big tobacco companies, will be the main ones available on the market. And honestly, those ciga-like things are rubbish. I tried one, and ended up smoking again the same day. Then I tried some decent vaping gear not made by a tobacco company, and within a month of using it I'd quit smoking entirely.

The TPD is an EU regulation, and being a member state means we have to go by that directive. Those regulations will stop the sale of the devices which actually work at getting people to stop smoking. 

TL;DR: I'm voting exit because the small minded idiots who came up with these regulations are trying to eliminate devices which have been proven to help people quit smoking, which are the most effective means of quitting smoking, and they clearly don't give a damn about the potential lives saved by these devices (including mine), so they can fuck themselves.

I don't get a vote as I've lived outside the UK too long, but I'd be voting 'stay'. Here in Ireland, at least, the EU generally does more good than harm on balance, and from what my family tell me it's much the same back home.

Frankly, though, I'd rather there wasn't a referendum, because nobody really has the faintest idea what the implications will be either way, least of all the general public. Just seems like a potentially dangerous cop-out from the Government, to me.
Exactly this. The only reason we're having a referendum is because the Tories had to offer one to fend off the threat from UKIP in the general election. However, no one knows what will happen either way and quite frankly members from both sides have been an absolute disgrace with the horror stories they've faked.

@Hughesy I can understand where you're coming from, but some of the EU laws protect workers rights such as paid holidays, ma/paternertiy leave periods and ensuring part time workers have the same rights as full time workers. Would you really trust a Conservative government to keep these?

There's good reasons to leave and good reasons to stay, but I'm voting stay. EU are a necessary evil for the UK as far as I'm concerned at this juncture.

Mexicola said:
There's good reasons to leave and good reasons to stay, but I'm voting stay. EU are a necessary evil for the UK as far as I'm concerned at this juncture.
But you don't even live in the UK :p 

Mexicola said:
The united free state will come soon enough. Just you wait for it. ;)

Mexicola said:
Mexicola said:
The united free state will come soon enough. Just you wait for it. ;)
When I googled united free state, the first result was an African football club... They're coming to play in the UK? ;) 

This x1000000000000000
I'll be voting leave.

It's mainly because of something called the TPD (Tobacco Products Directive), which has classified e-cigarettes as falling underneath their regulations despite the fact that e-cigarettes don't actually contain tobacco. With the regulations, it'd mean a market of roughly 25,000 different items, would be reduced to around 1,000. 

These devices are 95% safer than smoking (according to the Royal College of Physicians), and other studies seem to show that vaping is roughly as dangerous as breathing regular air. Yet with the TPD regulations (which started May 20th), over the next year e-cigarettes are being regulated to a point where the more basic devices, the ones produced by the big tobacco companies, will be the main ones available on the market. And honestly, those ciga-like things are rubbish. I tried one, and ended up smoking again the same day. Then I tried some decent vaping gear not made by a tobacco company, and within a month of using it I'd quit smoking entirely.

The TPD is an EU regulation, and being a member state means we have to go by that directive. Those regulations will stop the sale of the devices which actually work at getting people to stop smoking. 

TL;DR: I'm voting exit because the small minded idiots who came up with these regulations are trying to eliminate devices which have been proven to help people quit smoking, which are the most effective means of quitting smoking, and they clearly don't give a damn about the potential lives saved by these devices (including mine), so they can **** themselves.

Some people will actually get out to vote now for the first time in years and that will be the only bunch to vote leave. Thus UK will remain in EU.

L33TPilot said:
Some people will actually get out to vote now for the first time in years and that will be the only bunch to vote leave. Thus UK will remain in EU.

What an ignorant post, I've been voting for many years and voting to leave. 

If I believed the 'leave' bunch had any real justification over and above scaremongering their way through the campaign I'd consider leaving. As it is however, anyone who thinks the money  supposedly 'saved' from been in the Euro Union will solve issues around trade, taxation, immigration  and employment then good luck, thinking there will be a nice pot of money for the government to spend on good old Blighty is naive in the extreme- they already spaff billions of that away al on their own.

Oh and as for immigration don't be fooled by the hyperbole about how Britain will suddenly be able to control it's borders better, it won't, Europe has little to do with the mass influx of non-European 'better life' seeking migrants/geuine asylum seekers and more to do with the fact our immigration policy is shambolic and this has not changed in the last 15 years.

Don't get me wrong the 'stay' lot are full of it too, scaremongering their way through but at least there is some level of basis because we have experienced it for the last 40 or so years and while it's not all rosy it's not all that bad. Though I'm sure the Daily Mail readers would argue otherwise.

Voting leave!                                                                    

Personally I'm voting remain. This is no way me advocating the EU, I think it's a pile of rubbish in its current state, but by leaving we can't simply ignore it. In any case here is my reasons for voting remain, make of them what you will, they are simply my opinion.

1. The economic argument doesn't convince me. I don't think we will be in a stronger economic position without the EU, we will have to rely far more heavily on trade with the United States as trade with EU countries would be more difficult as by leaving, we would have to go through more red tape to trade successfully with EU countries. I'm not sure our economy is strong enough to go it alone, we don't really produce much anymore.

2. If we left, we wouldn't really leave. We would be so hung up in bureaucracy that we wouldn't actually leave the EU for at least 5 years in my opinion, especially seeing as the Prime Minister and the leaders of the main opposition parties do not want us to leave either. Therefore for that reason also I can't see leaving being beneficial.

3. The Immigration argument doesn't convince me, once you cut through the rubbish spouted by both sides, immigration will remain pretty much the same whether we are in the EU or not, as a post has said above, the EU doesn't have a major impact on our immigration levels, seeing as we haven't actually taken a great deal of European migrants compared to other countries.

So there are my three main reasons, I don't think I've articulated them as best I could have, but either way... I think this referendum is a stupid idea though, neither side has really given us any facts, and there doesn't seem to be any neutral document that gives us a proper for and against argument. The general public hasn't got a clue about the benefits and cons of the EU (myself included), and it just seems like a ploy from Cameron to give us something *positive* that he can keep going back to if he screws up something else... like the NHS for example. 

Both sides have spouted some absolute bo***ks throughout the campaign, I for one will be happy when it's over so we can go back to some form of vague normality.

Voting remain. Haven't come across a good argument to leave. And there's absolutely no way I trust the government to run the country without the EU watching them.

I'd be voting stay as although the EU is by no ways perfect, I believe it does more good then harm, it has allowed us to create better ties with other countries and we actually get a really good deal out of it, there are of course things that the EU could do better but overall it's better to be in then out. 

But out the way all the politicians have behaved is an absolute disgrace the amount of rubbish that has come out of their mouths is ridiculous but they are politicians what do we expect?

One last thing, anyone that backs Michael Gove is an idiot so another reason why I don't support leaving 

I'll be voting to stay. 

In my opinion the best way to help shape the future of Europe is to actively be involved in the EU. I don't see the EU as a bad thing, our economy will only suffer if we leave according to experts. The immigration issue wont be solved by leaving, if we cut off immigration to Europe can you imagine how that would leave us in the eyes of the rest of Europe? 

What if we ever wanted to rejoin? We would never get such a favourable deal as we have now. Honestly I cannot think of a good reason to leave. I don't trust the conservative party, and I'm not sure on the exact details so correct me if I'm wrong, but they would be able to change certain laws that the EU prevents them from doing. I don't remember the specific things, I saw/had a discussion on reddit about it a while back. 

And to be honest I'm not massively against a European super state, which I admit puts me in a minority. 

What I don't get is if it's so bad and the end of the world then why would David Cameron even allow us to vote on it?  UK managed very well before the EU was a thing and will again if we leave... 

Hughesy said:
What I don't get is if it's so bad and the end of the world then why would David Cameron even allow us to vote on it?  UK managed very well before the EU was a thing and will again if we leave... 

yeah I'm not 100% sure which way to vote personally however I am leaning towards leave as I feel in some cases we're better off managing our own affairs. Plus I think all this Euro business and stuff and some countries not being able to pay their way will end up dragging us down with it if we stay. I don't like the idea of fitting the bill for somebody else's mistake.

The Tories made a promise in their manifesto that the country would vote on the EU membership, it was a way to lure people over who were thinking about voting for UKIP, and as the country is a democracy we get to vote on things.

I don't think you can compare how Britain was before joining the EU to now, the world has changed a lot since then.

One of my big worries is the government renegotiating trade deals, no way will they make them fair for the people but rather look for deals that make them/their friends richer (just look at all the other privatisation the Tories have been a part of). I'm also worried about other things like worker's right, human rights laws and other regulations that the government will look to change when given free reign.

The EU isn't perfect, and staying in means we need to look at renegotiating our deal with them, but staying in is just the better choice to me.

We were last not in the EU though over 45 years ago, it's quite a different world we live in now and frankly the only thing I trust less than the EU is our own governments (be them red, blue or whatever) Carte blanche for these idiots is not a good thing, they misuse and pervert the powers they do have already- do you really feel the government represents & is looking out for you?

It's a firm stay vote from me.

Hughesy said:
Before we joined we hadn't felt any of the benifits of being in it. When we joined British Leyland was the biggest manufacturing industry and we know how that ended. In the EU investment is encouraged by companies and our rights are protected. Out of it we could very well end up back in the 70s - alone and with frequent protests.