Sign in to follow this  

The EU Referendum

Bottom line is if you vote leave because you feel it will improve out economy or lessen immigration issues you should really research whether this is really likely. From what I have seen it will make little, if any, difference to either area and could well make the former worse.

fIsince08 said:
Since postal votes can now be posted, I thought it would be a good time to start a thread on the EU referendum. Which way are you voting (if you don't mind sharing) and why?

Don't bite each other's heads off though.

I'll be voting to stay because I believe that the free trade agreement is vital to the North East economy - my friend's Dad is one of the bosses of Komatsu and they are very worried about what will happen to the factory if we vote leave.
Over half of Britains trade is done outside of the EU, with countries that we have no trade agreement with. So no, I don't think it will be a problem if we leave the single market because we seem to import stuff from the US and China just fine at the moment.

Regarding the vote, I don't want to get too nasty, but this is the most important vote that the UK will take probably for the next 50 years. It deserves a bit more consideration than "I'm voting remain because my mates dad thinks leave would be a bad idea".

You should be voting for yourself and your own interests, because you can bet your bottom dollar that the older generations will be mostly voting for theirs.

If you are young then I think key issues are house prices, population pressures are stopping people from buying houses, so if you want lower housing costs then out is probably the best to vote for, services, if we continue to import people then services such as schools and hospitals will become increasingly stretched unless we pay taxes to fund them, wages, if we continue to increase the labour force then there will be no upward pressure on wages and people on low wages will continue to be exploited.

For remain, if you are interested in working in another country in the EU its a good idea to vote remain. Also if you believe Britain should become part of an integrated european superstate its good to vote remain. Britain has a demographic problem, so importing young people can help address that problem (imbalance between the numbers of old and young people). Importing people also helps keep services cheap.

dirt3joe said:
fIsince08 said:
Since postal votes can now be posted, I thought it would be a good time to start a thread on the EU referendum. Which way are you voting (if you don't mind sharing) and why?

Don't bite each other's heads off though.

I'll be voting to stay because I believe that the free trade agreement is vital to the North East economy - my friend's Dad is one of the bosses of Komatsu and they are very worried about what will happen to the factory if we vote leave.
Over half of Britains trade is done outside of the EU, with countries that we have no trade agreement with. So no, I don't think it will be a problem if we leave the single market because we seem to import stuff from the US and China just fine at the moment.

Regarding the vote, I don't want to get too nasty, but this is the most important vote that the UK will take probably for the next 50 years. It deserves a bit more consideration than "I'm voting remain because my mates dad thinks leave would be a bad idea".

You should be voting for yourself and your own interests, because you can bet your bottom dollar that the older generations will be mostly voting for theirs.

If you are young then I think key issues are house prices, population pressures are stopping people from buying houses, so if you want lower housing costs then out is probably the best to vote for, services, if we continue to import people then services such as schools and hospitals will become increasingly stretched unless we pay taxes to fund them, wages, if we continue to increase the labour force then there will be no upward pressure on wages and people on low wages will continue to be exploited.

For remain, if you are interested in working in another country in the EU its a good idea to vote remain. Also if you believe Britain should become part of an integrated european superstate its good to vote remain. Britain has a demographic problem, so importing young people can help address that problem (imbalance between the numbers of old and young people). Importing people also helps keep services cheap.
Yes, but there is still a lot of trade done within it. For that, we'll need to negotiate another agreement with the EU - where we'll have to abide by their rules but have no say in them,

I am voting for myself, I just used that as a relevant example. I want to work in the Mech Eng industry after I graduate from uni and the likes of Nissan, Komatsu and Caterpillar all have bases in the North East alone, there are plenty of others around the UK and I fear for what will happen to them if the bosses decide to pull out. It is likely that all of our exports will face tariffs - meaning we'll have to add 10% onto our asking price to cover it and thus put people off buying it. We'll also face the same problem when buying stuff from the EU.

I don't buy this whole "leave the EU to end immigration" business. Most of our immigration is from outside of the EU and a lot of migrants take the jobs that we either don't want to fill or actually can't fill. The system needs reform, not expulsion. If we had a properly funded education system and NHS then we'd alleviate those problems straight away and don't get me started on the government's house building scheme.

Again, I don't want to get nasty, but to me it seems as though there is a whole theory of immigration being bad and a strong sense of nationalism amongst the older generations. That, on the main part, is whittling away with people in their mid-20s (or younger like me) for multiple reasons and I think that is also what is fuelling a lot of younger voters to choose to stay.

I'm not saying that last point applies to everyone btw.

Yep the whole 'get out the EU to lower immigration issues' is a big red herring, most immigrants (and ironically those that contribute least) come from outside the EU.

Have you got figures to back that up? KK78 said:
Yep the whole 'get out the EU to lower immigration issues' is a big red herring, most immigrants (and ironically those that contribute least) come from outside the EU.
http://news.sky.com/story/1706101/student-waffling-cameron-had-it-coming

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3623371/A-defiant-David-Cameron-claims-leaving-EU-terrible-way-cut-immigration-morning-savaged-public-live-TV-waffling-scaremongering-Brexit.html

Hughesy said:
Have you got figures to back that up? KK78 said:
http://news.sky.com/story/1706101/student-waffling-cameron-had-it-coming

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3623371/A-defiant-David-Cameron-claims-leaving-EU-terrible-way-cut-immigration-morning-savaged-public-live-TV-waffling-scaremongering-Brexit.html
I do.
https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/

41% of the EU migrants last year came with a definite job. 15& came to study and 7% to live with a partner. 32% came looking for work but it's not actually known how many of these were able to claim benefits.

@dirt3joe What do you think is going to happen if we leave? Are we just going to stop letting Europeans in? Of course not. Ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Also, there is already too much strain on those services. We have too many people already.

Remain                                                                                                                      

I'll be voting to leave, without a doubt. Mainly because it will bring some benefits for the family business, but I'm fed up of living in a country controlled by Brussels. We should govern ourselves, we're perfectly capable of it. We should have control of our own borders.

I'm 19 and at university, and it seems the vast majority of my age group will be voting to stay which is pretty interesting.

MBKF1 said:
I'll be voting to leave, without a doubt. Mainly because it will bring some benefits for the family business, but I'm fed up of living in a country controlled by Brussels. We should govern ourselves, we're perfectly capable of it. We should have control of our own borders.

I'm 19 and at university, and it seems the vast majority of my age group will be voting to stay which is pretty interesting.
We do already, just not to Europe. And most of our immigrants are not from Europe. To add to this, immigration from Europe will not cease. 268,000 Europeans came here in 2014 which made up 48% of total non British inflow. We could easily cut that other 52% right down using an Aussie based points system to allow only the best people in. It is just a case of doing it.

I don't think any party other than UKIP would bring in the Aussie style points system, which is a shame...

Lukedfrt said:
I don't think any party other than UKIP would bring in the Aussie style points system, which is a shame...
People keep banging on about a points system, but Australia's system is designed to encourage immigration, not lower it...

My bedroom.                             

Hughesy said:
What I don't get is if it's so bad and the end of the world then why would David Cameron even allow us to vote on it?  UK managed very well before the EU was a thing and will again if we leave... 
It didn't. The UK economy was crap in the 50's and 60's which led to Thatcher who ruined the banking systen...

Juice29 said:
Hughesy said:
What I don't get is if it's so bad and the end of the world then why would David Cameron even allow us to vote on it?  UK managed very well before the EU was a thing and will again if we leave... 
It didn't. The UK economy was crap in the 50's and 60's which led to Thatcher who ruined everything.

Wat. I was under the impression that the UK economy was at it's strongest during the 50s and the 60s? (Post War economic boom, massive increase in employment, decolonisation etc).

Just a quick word of warning for those voting to leave. Read this.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/14/ftse-100-slides-towards-6000-and-pound-falls-as-brexit-fears-dri/

fIsince08 said:
Just a quick word of warning for those voting to leave. Read this.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/14/ftse-100-slides-towards-6000-and-pound-falls-as-brexit-fears-dri/

Google Translate doesn't work. Can anybody read gibberish?

Like Prawn, I can't make much sense of that, but it doesn't seem that bad. It fluctuates anyway, always has done. It just happens to have slipped down a bit in the lead up to the referendum. And it was worse last September and February anyway.

Also, did anyone watch Question Time last week? The one with Nigel and Eddie Izzard on. What the heck was he doing on there, he was dreadful. Mind you, I'm not surprised he was on, it's typical BBC getting some random comedian on a serious show.

True, Question Time should aim for better guests than Nigel Farage.

Platy said:
True, Question Time should aim for better guests than Nigel Farage.
Ba dm tssss

https://medium.com/im-trying-to-fact-check-brexit/fact-checking-brexit-the-conclusion-c1f56ba4cb70#.n53iwu11o

Pretty good (and quick) read on the factual integrity of both sides.

Tomorrow is vote day, and I think the most important thing to say is to vote. That's why we're a democracy so don't miss the chance to have a say.

Just been down to the polling station and voted, stuck to my guns and chose remain. Tonight I'm going to fill my car up with petrol before the prices shoot through the roof tomorrow.