DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That joker entry in Norway...

Sick and tired of getting rammed by cars from behind me which are going into the joker while I'm trying to take that right-hand corner. Seriously bad AI programming there. What am I supposed to do, I really don't know how to counter this. I get it like 2 or 3 times per event, just now I was doing great and ended up missing a spot in the final because of this...

Is that the one on Hell circuit? Yeah they don't do quite well there. Just got to know they will go full speed on the inside through up to the joker. Drive accordingly.

Drive accordingly.
How would that work?  :D I think the only way to avoid them would be to hug the right side of the straight before taking the corner, every single lap. Wouldn't help my lap times I think :)

pEst410 said:
Drive accordingly.
How would that work?  :D I think the only way to avoid them would be to hug the right side of the straight before taking the corner, every single lap. Wouldn't help my lap times I think :)
Actually, it would. RX cars don't follow the rules of other motorsports, at least here. In Hell you'll be faster if you stick to the insides for as long as possible, especially with the Supercars.

Why not take the joker in the first lap? That's what I usually do and I barely encounter this problem. 

Why not take the joker in the first lap? That's what I usually do and I barely encounter this problem. 
That's what I do and I frequently get rammed! Taking the joker on the first lap normally means I will catch and pass most of the field by lap three or four, as they joker towards the end of the race I risk getting rammed from behind on lap 4!

I usually opt for a very tight line into the first corner (sticking to the right side of the track), which normally keeps me out of the way of cars heading for the joker.

The Ai lines in some of the RX tracks are quite stupid really, the fact it is fixed each time used to bug me (i.e you'd get the same car cutting across the same line to get to the joker as if the other cars were not there) Now with fully upgraded cars I either hang back, avoid the crush and take the joker before catching them back up or I try my luck bulldoze them back  :D

pEst410 said:
Drive accordingly.
Actually, it would. RX cars don't follow the rules of other motorsports, at least here. In Hell you'll be faster if you stick to the insides for as long as possible, especially with the Supercars.
Well I do veer to hug the corner but if I approach it from the right side of the straight I'll have to slow down too much. I don't enter as wide as the AI though, I go from about middle.

The problem is not when I'm taking the joker, it's when the AI is doing it.

KK78 said:
The Ai lines in some of the RX tracks are quite stupid really, the fact it is fixed each time used to bug me (i.e you'd get the same car cutting across the same line to get to the joker as if the other cars were not there) Now with fully upgraded cars I either hang back, avoid the crush and take the joker before catching them back up or I try my luck bulldoze them back  :D
Yeah I guess I have to strategise like that, and maybe go from the right edge of the straight if I think guys behind me will take the joker. This is so stupid I've even seen the AI ram each other there once or twice. 

pEst410 said:
Well I do veer to hug the corner but if I approach it from the right side of the straight I'll have to slow down too much. I don't enter as wide as the AI though, I go from about middle.
Slide and try to put the front wheels over the curb. That way you'll be slowing down just as much as you would've otherwise, maintaining about the same speed and going a shorter route. Like I mentioned, don't apply the same racing logic to RX. It just doesn't work as you would imagine it to work.

I have to say, taking that corner tighter from the right especially when having a car behind me worked quite well. Btw in the final, the whole field crashed into one another at the first corner/joker entry while I cruised past them all to have a very easy race and win it :D Finished the season 4th though... again  :s