Sign in to follow this  

Colin McRae DiRT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sFskKnFC_k

So today I started a fresh career of Colin McRae DiRT and managed to get a setup that would run the game at full spec and stream to twitch at the same time.

I hadn't played the first DiRT since it came out back in 2007 (back when I worked in a hifi shop!). Still looks pretty good though it is crazy to think that this was one of the best looking games at the start of the last console cycle, from that to the stuff I see at work now is mind blowing (thats not to say I think this DiRT looks bad).

http://youtu.be/itiWpRT-ZtM

The handling takes some getting used to and the way the brakes act on tarmac is like you've dropped an anchor out the boot, really loving the RAID and Rallycross events though.

http://youtu.be/3R8R8XZxpCU

I'm planning on playing it every weekend (Saturday and Sunday) from about 1pm - You can watch on twitch if you are about or I'll be pushing the highlights to my YouTube

Here is a link to my playlist of all the events so far so take a look and remember the good old days of 1997 when Puff Daddy and Faith Evans were number one in the charts.

How many of you guys played the first DiRT? What did you like/hate/love about it?

I was watching that T1 RAID America, still not sure how you sustained so much damage from those smaller rocks :P Makes me want to find my DiRT 3 disc (since I can't find DiRT 1 or 2 for PC on Steam).

The first DiRT is the only game I've ever gotten all the achievements for on my 360. :) I loved the game from the moment I started playing it. But after playing DiRT 2/3 and Richard Burns Rally, it became clear how 'sticky' the handling felt. The cars didn't feel loose enough in my opinion. But, this issue is gradually being tweaked in your later games and I'm hoping DiRT 4 will be even closer to simulation than its predecessors. :D

Pretty much as CarBoyCam says, I really enjoyed DiRT up until the point when I played DiRT 2 and realised just how off the handling was.

DiRT has some of my fave stages and definately my fave rallycross circuits from the DIRT series, but the handling model is the main reason I rarely go back to it anymore.

Still, loved it at the time and would like to see some of the content from the game in a future title. ;)

Bought this game a while after Dirt 2, since i didnt have a pc that could play any decent games in the first place (bought Dirt 2 with a brand new pc :D ), but fell ''in love'' with Dirt 2, and considered buying Dirt 1.

Dirt 1 is definatly a good game when it comes to car/truck and track distances and selections, loved every moment of playing the game.

DiRT was a bloody good game for the variety and range of cars, as well as the stages/circuits/locations that it had. The biggest negative for me was the physics, I would love to play DiRT 1 with DiRT3 physics. Pikes Peak would be epic if you could do some proper drifts around the hairpins. 

For me, the handling has always felt a bit "off" in the DiRT games. The cars almost felt floaty. They were still enjoyable games to play, but it just felt like the cars didn't weigh enough, or weren't making enough contact with the roads or ground. I'm hoping that changes in the next game. I'm not saying it has to be a full-on, 100% sim, but close would be nice :)

I loved the first DiRT game (it was before my time at Codemasters) although the handling model did have some slightly strange characteristics.

The thing that made it for me was the varied characteristics of the stages. Some were technical, others were fast and flowing. They represented their locations well and it was great to hone your skills on each one to try and achieve the best time. It also has a great selection of cars from classics to more modern machines.

Hmmm I might go dig it out actually....

JonTucker said:

I loved the first DiRT game (it was before my time at Codemasters) although the handling model did have some slightly strange characteristics.

The thing that made it for me was the varied characteristics of the stages. Some were technical, others were fast and flowing. They represented their locations well and it was great to hone your skills on each one to try and achieve the best time. It also has a great selection of cars from classics to more modern machines.

Pssstt @JonTucker you should get yourself one of our shiney dev steam accounts with all the games on ;)

Man, That brings back so many memories. I can't find my PC copy but I still have my xbox 360 version, I should go play it upstairs on my big 65" plasma tele.

Pssstt @JonTucker you should get yourself one of our shiney dev steam accounts with all the games on ;)

You can get DiRT on Steam?

Job has to have some perks :P Sadly its not for sale anymore though :(

Got Dirt 1 but only ever played single-player as the PC I had didn't cope with it well, Dirt 3 for me was all about Gymkhana freeroam, closely followed by outbreak, rally, traillbazer, rallycross in that order.

This was the reason for the Gymkhana preference,
http://youtu.be/_JVbI4WtISM

Favourite rally event Monte Carlo,
http://youtu.be/LAso3TDYGUc

Favourite trailblazer event  Yatta Ridge/ Leopard Rock,
http://youtu.be/j541vwYcChA

For the future? I'd love to see the return of a more rally type format as per the old CMR games along with the best of the more recent titles. 

There was 1 thing I did not liked at Colin McRae DiRT, that was the career mode .
But the first time I drove the Subaru Impreza at the head to head circuit it felt amazing!
It was so much better then CMR2005
Cars did look great too that time! :D

JonTucker said:

I would say "slightly strange" is a pretty kind appraisal of the DiRT 1 handling @JonTucker!

As I said earlier though I enjoyed playing it at the time, it was only after playing DiRT 2 and going back to DiRT 1 when I really clicked how off the handling was.

I'm in full agreement with @Rallycameraman: DiRT 1 stages/tracks with the DiRT 3 handling model would be superb!

Don't know if I am the only one, but I really liked the flowing menu system.  Had a race car (?) feel to it.  

For a interface alone it was well done.  You could see where you have been in the menu tree and pretty much where you could go with each option.

Just bought a NEW copy of Colin McRae DiRT for PC today! Can't wait for it to arrive.

Only recently have i gotten into the DiRT games. I decided to playthrough and finish DiRT 2 first, since its probably going to stop working soon with GFWL and whatnot. I really want to play DiRT 3, but i'm waiting cos i know if i start playing it now, i'll get halfway through and it'll be transferred over to Steamworks, and all my progress will be lost.

Wish CM would hurry with the GFWL removal business, no idea why its taking so long. Don't know who thought it was a good idea to use the service in the first place tbh...

Just bought a NEW copy of Colin McRae DiRT for PC today! Can't wait for it to arrive.

Only recently have i gotten into the DiRT games. I decided to playthrough and finish DiRT 2 first, since its probably going to stop working soon with GFWL and whatnot. I really want to play DiRT 3, but i'm waiting cos i know if i start playing it now, i'll get halfway through and it'll be transferred over to Steamworks, and all my progress will be lost.

Wish CM would hurry with the GFWL removal business, no idea why its taking so long. Don't know who thought it was a good idea to use the service in the first place tbh...
We're still on it don't worry, its just taking a little longer than expected :)

Please don't let Dirt 2 die with GFWL. I can't play Dirt 3 because of the motion sim bug so I will be very sad if Dirt 2 dies.

I might do some testing in Dirt 2 and see what happens if I try to run it offline to simulate the lack of GFWL.

Avenga76 said:
Please don't let Dirt 2 die with GFWL. I can't play Dirt 3 because of the motion sim bug so I will be very sad if Dirt 2 dies.

I might do some testing in Dirt 2 and see what happens if I try to run it offline to simulate the lack of GFWL.
I tried Dirt 2 offline with my internet unplugged and it ran fine. So hopefully it will continue to run fine when GFWL gets turned off. I don't know what I would do if I have to reinstall the game because that would need GFWL.

Avenga76 said:
Avenga76 said:

I tried Dirt 2 offline with my internet unplugged and it ran fine. So hopefully it will continue to run fine when GFWL gets turned off. I don't know what I would do if I have to reinstall the game because that would need GFWL.
Yeah DiRT 2 shouldn't be affected should GFWL be turned off.

Just played DiRT for the first time, really enjoying it so far. I much prefer the handling of DiRT 2 (only one i've played extensively), but i think i prefer the emphasis on rally events over the whole x-games malarkey of the sequel.