DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips to improve cockpit view? (PS4)

I usually play every driving game (including all CMR and Dirt games)  in cockpit view but with this one I just can't get the hang of it! I've been using dashboard cam since the start, I'm now on elite level on all sports and I'd like to switch to cockpit cam but it just feels wrong, like too far away or maybe it's the field of view which on PS4 can't be changed...? I've fiddled with moving the camera forward, up, tilt, can't seem to get a sweet spot... 

You know what, that's the latest way I  was trying, but still feeling odd so I started fiddling not just with forward/backward but also up/down and tilt to see if I could make it better... Not really. 

I use 0.5 fov in cocpit view on PC which is same? fov that's on consoles. I only move the seat forward in every car until around 50-55% of the steering wheel is still visible. Some cars have that kind of seat position from the beginning, but for the 2010s Hyundai I have to move the seat a lot closer to see gauges(rpm light, gear indicator) over the rim.. I don't change tilt angle or seat height.

Here's what it looks like for example in 1980s BMW M3(in Sweden) https://www.twitch.tv/karik134/v/71837683 and in R4 Subaru(in Wales) https://www.twitch.tv/karik134/v/66104112. I dont have issues with not seeing enough to the sides (I can see the road on the right all the time). Maybe if your driving style is going extremely sideways on left turns so that the road disappears but driving like that might not be any faster.
Tight turns like 1s/hairpins/acutes can cause problems with 0.5 fov, but you should try keeping road position(around middle of the road) same throughout those corners, slow down if car starts to understeer and going too wide.

My advice to stay middle of the road was only for the tightest turns in the game which are the acutes and hairpins (maybe also some 1 corners). If the steering wheel is on the left that 0.5 fov is limiting what u see in acutes&hairpins that are to the right.

I have a 55" TV 145cm(4feet 10inches) from my eyes, I cant go any closer because the tv-stand is on the way of the pedals, but even now in game wheel is pretty much same sized like my 30cm(12inch) rim on the sim-wheel (Thrustmaster Ferrari Alcantara rim). Here's my sim rig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOCz0-hMVvY

Well, at least it's not as bad as Forza 6. Doesn't seem like there's much you can actually do if you cant change the FOV. Otherwise try moving yourself or the monitor. They have a typical FOV so not sure why it bothers you more than any other game.

Hengist said:
JZStudios said:
Otherwise try moving yourself or the monitor.
What's that got to do with the price of bread... or anything in this thread?

JZStudios said:
They have a typical FOV so not sure why it bothers you more than any other game.
Thanks for sharing why you're not sure. I'm not sure about the rectilinear theorem of light propagation. Does it help with this thread? No. However, seeing as we're sharing things that we're not sure about, I thought I'd also join in. :)
You do know the FOV should change based on you're position to the monitor right? Why even change the FOV if that's not you're goal? I guess I'm confused as to why you guys like to complain so much but don't seem to know why. Why alter the camera if you don't know why? You want to change the FOV, but you can't, so move. Do you guys go on the thread of every other racing game and complain about the FOV, or just this one? I mean, not having the right FOV sucks, but on console all the games are pretty much the same. If you seriously want to complain about it, then get a PC and you can edit it to your hearts content. Otherwise, no, there's no option to solve your problem.
Light propagation is child's play.

Well, it seems like I've got used to it somehow... Now with the 2010s Fiesta WRC I was struggling in Greece with dashboard view, but strangely doing better with cockpit view. The key is, I had to get closer to the TV, so now my wheelstand pro is actually going a little bit under the TV unit (as much as it fits), and I'm doing pretty good. The distance is key I find, if the TV was just after my wheel it would be perfect.

Hengist said:
JZStudios said:
Alright, you win I guess? I don't know. You guys sure like to argue.
Nah that wasn't an argument, it was a debate between gentlemen. A debate without any silly name calling being involved, may I add.

It's been a pleasure discussing this with you JZ.
True, no silly name calling. All I know is, the FOV in Forza 6 is atrocious, so I sit closer to the TV. That was my suggestion. Of which apparently Pest has now concluded. Otherwise I play on PC with triples, so not too worried about seeing the other side of the cor on one monitor.
It's a bit dickish, but it feels kinda nice to somewhat brag about, even if my monitors are cheap. Finally got a stand instead of DVD cases and popsicle sticks though.