DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this how penalties work?

I've made these assumptions from the start but I'm starting to not be sure about them so is this how it goes? 

Recovery = 15 secs penalty

Recovery before countdown ends, so for example at 5 = 5 secs penalty 

Return by yourself to the road before countdown reaches zero, so if for example countdown at 5 when you return = 5 secs penalty

Is that it? Because I'm starting to suspect that if I return to the road without hitting recovery before countdown ends, there's no penalty. 

There's no penalty when you return yourself to the road, other than the time you naturally loose when doing that.

Also, the recovery penalty varies depending on the "difficulty" of the recovery in itself; I´ve suffered recovery penalties from 8 to 20 seconds...

Generaly, as BadD0g said, is preferrable to get back on track by yourself if its possible.

Oh, another thing: Punctures.
Be careful. The recovery and repair puncture button is the same!
Sometimes you suffer a puncture just about to finish a stage, but you want to get finish lane with the tyre punctured (it gets "repaired for free" for next stage)
If your car needs forcedly to be recovered, hit pause menu and recover from the option there. If you push the button instead, you will get the repair punctured tyre (+1:30min) and the recovery. (+8-20sec)..

I got ruined 2 leagues because of this, +1:30 is A LOT of time

I need to get into the habit of pressing start as soon as I go off piste to reset, often it seems pretty random when the 'Press to reset' option actually appears. Sometimes I'll go into the trees or roll onto the roof and it takes longer than usual to be given the option, not to mention you can save yourself from wiping out altogether when you go off a cliff :)

Habsolute said:
 Spectators...sigh...find a better place to stand, yeah?
Yeah. You'd think they'd have figured out that I always run wide now...

OzoreXS said:
Also, the recovery penalty varies depending on the "difficulty" of the recovery in itself; I´ve suffered recovery penalties from 8 to 20 seconds...
How do you know how much the penalty was? It doesn't show at the end, I think?

I personally prefer to keep the feel of realism, so I will always try and get the car back on the road myself, and if not and I get reset, I take that as 'spectators' putting me back on the road, like they did in Richard Burns Rally. It would be cool to have a feature like that in Dirt.

pEst410 said:
OzoreXS said:
How do you know how much the penalty was? It doesn't show at the end, I think?
It does, if you have the timers turned on in the HUD

I personally prefer to keep the feel of realism, so I will always try and get the car back on the road myself, and if not and I get reset, I take that as 'spectators' putting me back on the road, like they did in Richard Burns Rally. It would be cool to have a feature like that in Dirt.
Yeah, I always try and drive back to the road as well (even if that means smashing the car up in the process!)

tbtstt said:
Yeah, I always try and drive back to the road as well (even if that means smashing the car up in the process!)
Getting back on the road usually doesn't smash your car up as bad as what got you off of it in the first place. But I just hate when you get stuck somewhere so you can't move, especially when going slowly

The worst is when you go on a long, treacherous journey to find your way back on the road, and finally make it back, but then you get stuck on the edge of the road and have to reset anyway. Goodbye, 30 seconds! :D

BadD0g said:
The worst is when you go on a long, treacherous journey to find your way back on the road, and finally make it back, but then you get stuck on the edge of the road and have to reset anyway. Goodbye, 30 seconds! :D
Haha, thought it was just me that kept choosing the wrong spots to try and rejoin the road!

I often have that problem, particularly in Wales where I am left pondering 'I'm sure this car should get back on the road here' only end up see-sawing on the titanium like edge of the track.