Sign in to follow this  

Do you think that Formula 1 should stay as is or change to the 2017 format next session?

Do you think that Formula 1 should stay as is or change to the 2017 format next session? It could either be the same as now or similar to the 2016 format but with more Horse Power and added refueling for 2017. Or would you like to see the full on 2017 format with wider cars and more down force? I have been hearing from Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett that the 2017 cars will be harder to overtake because of how wide / how much down force they have. Overtakes could still be done but I think that the Teams should develop the current cars a bit more. I would also like to see the 2017 cars as well because I think they would have lots of potential. I just hope that overtakes will still be common if the switch does happen.

I am really looking forward to the 2017 cars. It's been 8 years since the last major aerodynamic regulation changes and the cars generally look pretty similar to back then, so wider cars and more aggressive aerodynamics will be more than welcomed by me.

The difference is only 20cm or something in terms of the chassis width and while it may be harder to overtake at street circuits, most circuits these days are over 12m wide and it shouldn't be a massive issue.

The cars will look better, the bigger tyres will look awesome, I can't wait, and with these amazing technical engines gaining more and more horsepower all the time, F1 is going to be properly fast again, as it should be.

Of course it'll be harder to follow a car because of dirty air amounts, but it's been 8 yaers since the aero rules change, the cars look similar and I think we've reached the peak performance of these packages. Next year rules are exciting. The races may gat a bit more boring, because it'll be harder to pass, but we'll have faster, more aggresive cars.
We don't have to change the engine formula, because it's quite good. We have lots of very high BHP, even 900 BHP, the top speeds are good, acceleration is good, we're lacking in aero, this is the part to change (which is changing).
I am waiting for next season, because it'll be a very exciting one, with possibly Ricciardo taking the WDC, thaks to the best Red Bull chassis.

I fear that we are changing to a different formula just when the current one is becoming more and more enjoyable to watch. The cars are fast, louder than two years ago and the racing this year has been really good.

At this point, I would prefer things to stay the way they are.

I fear that we are changing to a different formula just when the current one is becoming more and more enjoyable to watch. The cars are fast, louder than two years ago and the racing this year has been really good.

I can't argue with that, but I think, we're changing the engine policy (if I can call it like that) and of course huge changes to aero. This format os of course becoming very enjoyable to watch, but after 8 years of more or less the same aero format, we need change. As I wrote earlier, we've reache the peak performance of current aero packages, the changes are little. You don't change one bit and get 0,5 advantage. Now you change one bit and you get 0,012 advantage (let's say). With the new format, you can experiment with new bits and maybe get this 0,5 by changing only one.

MBKF1 said:
I am really looking forward to the 2017 cars. It's been 8 years since the last major aerodynamic regulation changes and the cars generally look pretty similar to back then, so wider cars and more aggressive aerodynamics will be more than welcomed by me.

The difference is only 20cm or something in terms of the chassis width and while it may be harder to overtake at street circuits, most circuits these days are over 12m wide and it shouldn't be a massive issue.

The cars will look better, the bigger tyres will look awesome, I can't wait, and with these amazing technical engines gaining more and more horsepower all the time, F1 is going to be properly fast again, as it should be.

Ditto for me too really you've pretty much covered it.

I can't argue with that, but I think, we're changing the engine policy (if I can call it like that) and of course huge changes to aero. This format os of course becoming very enjoyable to watch, but after 8 years of more or less the same aero format, we need change. As I wrote earlier, we've reache the peak performance of current aero packages, the changes are little. You don't change one bit and get 0,5 advantage. Now you change one bit and you get 0,012 advantage (let's say). With the new format, you can experiment with new bits and maybe get this 0,5 by changing only one.
I think the 2017 format will still see good overtakes. I am confident that the drivers will push and overtake like normal. I also think that it will be very entertaining to watch. I am kind of in between. I wouldn't mind if things stayed the way they were, but I am also excited to see the 2017 cars. They look really cool and aggressive which I like. I think it will be really cool to see them go 3 seconds faster.

I think it's needed for competition's sake. The racing has been good this year in some races, but mainly due to the fact that Mercedes have messed up and suffered unreliability a number of times. In normal circumstances, and at tracks not called Monaco, they still have a comfortable margin to everyone else and that will continue for years to come if the regulations don't have a significant shake up. 

VetteIfan said:
I think it's needed for competition's sake. The racing has been good this year in some races, but mainly due to the fact that Mercedes have messed up and suffered unreliability a number of times. In normal circumstances, and at tracks not called Monaco, they still have a comfortable margin to everyone else and that will continue for years to come if the regulations don't have a significant shake up. 
I guess the rule change would destroy Mercedes Advantage.

I'd like a new format. The current aero is getting boring, so it's time for a change. Granted the 2017 rules aren't that big of a change, would have preferred more ground effect, but that's okay. I really like the current power unit, so I'd like that to stay. I'm not thrilled how they are restricting the numbers further, but again whatever. Really I'm for anything that has the potential to spice things up... even if they probably won't.

Refueling should never come back. It's bad enough that the TV cuts to the pits while drivers on track are actually battling... I don't want them to cut to the pits because that's where the overtaking is actually happening now. I get the strategy argument but in the end it only makes for pit lane passing which is not exciting. 

I'd say keep the same format. The aero may be starting to look the same but that is a good thing - it means that the cars are getting closer. That is why we're seeing the likes of Red Bull and Ferrari close the gap to Merc. The power units are fine - we're getting more power than ever before and they are starting to become more equal. I know that they aren't actually changing next season, but still.

The main reason, though, is that I think the rules have gone in completely the wrong direction. I agree with Rosberg, Hamilton and several of the Mercedes engineers. We should've gone for less aero and more mechanical grip. I like the big chunky tyres, but adding aero to cars that already find it hard to overtake is ridiculous. Wait three or four years and we'll be having another massive rules overhaul to reduce the aero because the cars now can't overtake.

Also, whenever there is a rule change there is always one team that dominates. With the gap finally starting to close, do we really want to go back to square one AGAIN and encourage Bernie to go ahead with his idiotic proposals?