Sign in to follow this  

What do you want in F1 2014? GAME IDEAS

There is only one thing i'm going to ask for the new F1:

--- MIRRORS on the bottom of the screen when using the default "over the nose" view (Dunno how you call it).
    I think that being able to see what happens behind you is essential, especially online

Personally I think it's still a case of building on the fundamentals as much as anything. Doesn't matter how many features you have if the fundamentals are not good the game is not good.

Codemasters have definetly made a huge step up each year in this department but more work still needs to be done. My feeling is they have tried to emulate the F1 experience a lot, rather than simulate so much which I think is a good thing but they are lacking in some areas which makes me feel I'm not an F1 driver.

For me the fundamentals are.

1. Handling - Although the handling is quite good I still feel it's a little shallow. When I drive other racing games, especially those like the great Ferrari Virtual Academy sim, I actually want to drive it for the love of driving. In codemasters games I just don't get that feeling, even if it's not totally that far off those games.

I think there are two main reasons for this. Firstly the engine they started with was not really designed for F1. Secondly the aim is more to emulate F1. As long as it looks real, which it does, it should be fine. The problem I get is the feel of the car is just not there.

The handling has improved a lot, particularly in 2012. But I think now with a lot of that work done, more focus needs to be done on transferring that feel back to the driver. The thing is the more feel you get, the easier it is for the driver and the more you can push it to be even more realistic. At the moment although it does a lot right, it's actually quite hard to spin off the track even if you want to in F1 2013.

2. Tracks - This is tied a little into the handling. The tracks are all pretty well done (although a little aged now?) but the problem is I don't always feel like the track is alive. Take a lap around Australia and you will see what I mean from a driving point of view. You can flat line the kerbs, charge over the grass and you go faster, not slower.

There is a balancing act to be found between difficulty here and practicality for everyone. But I think these elements have to be made more alive. In real F1 the grass is generally not good for lap time and often the green astroturf is very slippery.

I've driven a lot of good and bad tracks overs the years. With a good track it just feels natural to be on the road and not run wide everywhere. I'm not totally sure of the fix but I feel it has something to do with the graphics and track physics. It's not just about more powerful graphics but how they are applied. The grass and the like has to look scarier and more alive and the track itself something you have to be on. 

And again a good track makes it easier and more natural, not necessarily harder, even if you were to punish mistakes more. A good track is one those things that just makes the game a lot more enjoyable. In codemasters games I would say just about all tracks can be improved somewhat. The race track is a huge part of a great driving experience.

3. AI - The reason why the first codemasters F1 game ultimately fell short was because the ai. The ai makes or breaks the single player experience.

This is obviously a very tough thing to get right, as otherwise more would get it right. But look back to GP4, more than 10 years ago and it still clearly outclasses the F1 games of today. And imo that means the F1 games of today are just not doing good enough.

The first I think is to make the other cars actually feel like they exist. You touch a car in F1 2013 and almost nothing happens, except the ai being pushed wide. Fix this and you improve the ai a lot without doing anything else. It makes the AI feel totally fake and they don't exist. When you make contact with the ai, it has to feel like a good bang and that you can't just push the ai around. This does not mean you have to have super real damage, just that the ai are real important objects.

Secondly I think the ai needs to be put on a slider to simply save the problem of some being too slow or too quick. Perhaps even one that is slightly adaptive. Everyone has a vast array of abilities and skills and getting a level you are comfortable with is something that is hugely important to enjoying these games, especially as the focus is on providing the F1 experience.

Outside of that the ai is still not up to standard from a racing point of view but I'm sure they are working on this. Mainly improving the braking ability and aggression in defense and attack is where work is still needed.

Again it does not matter how good your other features if the ai is not up to standard.

For me they are three fundamentals that will improve the game massively. Outside of that though there are plenty of areas and other features to work on.

1. Young driver test/academy - Teach people trully how to drive. Not just what the buttons do, anyone can learn that in five minutes. You need a certain level of competency to enjoy this game and to get that F1 experience. We've seen a huge amount of comments from people saying they have too much understeer.

Driven correctly the car will not understeer. But these people simply have not understood they are going well over the tyres slip angles. Instead they should be taught and trained up through the game.

You will get a lot less complaining if people are able to get on top of the driving a lot easier or atleast understand how it works.

The same goes for learning tracks. Of course a lot of it is just laps, but I like the GT system of working on sections at a time. I think you can borrow a leaf from that book as it suits both inexperienced and experienced. Learning and understanding the track really is important for lesser skilled players to enjoy the game.

2. Career - I say overhaul time. The current system just doesn't really work. I doubt that many people really play it all that much. But rather than putting this down to the career not being popular I think it needs to be looked at as to why.

Firstly I think a whole season is just too long with not enough happenning. I'll say something controversial and a lot will disagree with but shorten the seasons length in career. Make 10 to 14 races with perhaps some testing and events in between and rotate the tracks around each year. This will alow more seasons as well with more hapenning and I think players just want to get to the top, a Red Bull, a Ferrari and your stuck in a Williams and the season just becomes a drag.

Plus I think it's very important that changing car performance each season (or perhaps even in season?) comes back as well as an improved more player driven experience with upgrades.

Career has a lot of potential to be a trully great element in the game. You could go even further and add classic cars into the career system. But whatever the case it needs a big overhaul in the way the system and career works.

3. Qualifying, new tyres and track evolution - Qualifying is one of F1's greatest and most exciting events for both drivers and fans. One of the things that the F1 games so far havn't done is give you that edge of your seat feeling much in qualifying.

Set your lap at about 10 minutes to go and you will nearly always end up in that position or very close to it. However in F1 qualifying you often can be 8th at that time only to start to drop right down the order.

For me two things. Not enough track evolution in qualifying (if there is any?) and secondly I think the ai do not put on new tyres for each run. Add to that sometimes the ai will be outside the top ten or whatever and not run again. Any driver near danger should be going out on a new set of soft tyres no quaestion mark.

Qualifying should be a huge exciting and challenging event. You should be wondering should I go out again or save new tyres? Or timing that lap to the last minute to get the pole or beat your team-mate.

4. HUD - I know they are not allowed to use the real tv style hud, but I think we should be getting something more F1 based. The current one doesn't really cut it for me.

I think it's important particularly in qualifying, and perhaps in the race to have more drivers on the left showing. Remember often you are racing a driver on a different strategy many positions back from you.

I think the hud needs an overhaul to create a better experience. Remember whilst it is not realistic it is how we all experience F1 and we are unable to get on the radio and ask for certain gaps. We are really doing the job of an engineer and manager ourselves and we need the info to respect that.

5. Helmet editor - My last one here is to add a helmet editor. I understand other things have to come first but we all dream of being racing drivers and one of the things we love most is helmets. It's a drivers indentity. I think adding this in would add a huge personal touch to the game and the game is all about us being that F1 driver isn't it?

Just my thoughts. Make no mistake, Steve and the team have done a great job over the years and I'm sure they will continue to do so!

Manual control in the Pit-lane.

+1. Was just going to post that full control in the pits would be great to have.

Suggestion: Open testing or 'Test Day' mode to add to the Proving Grounds section.

Why:
I feel the developers really added an extra element to the racing in F1 2013 with tyre modelling and I felt having the ability to drive conservatively to save tyres added a whole new dimension to the gameplay - especially in longer races.

I'm one of these sad people that gets a lot of pleasure from spending an hour or two doing multiple laps around a circuit, trying out different settings, setups and driving styles to see how I can improve my speed. I've even set up a little spreadsheet for myself where I log my laptimes and check how different setups affect my average laptimes and tyre wear, because I really have nothing better to do sometimes.

The only issue is that tyre wear is really important in 2013, but the only way you can test or experiment with settings is in either a race or free practice in Grand Prix or Career mode. Time Trial mode is good to try any car on any circuit, but the track and car settings in Time Trial mode aren't comparable to what they are in a real race situation, plus there's no tyre or fuel degredation as Time Trial mode is all about absolutely laptime only.

You could always practice in the Free Practice session in a Grand Prix or Career mode race weekend, but then you have the potential for 21 other cars to get in the way. If you want to prepare for an online race, for example, it's not always ideal to practice in a FP3 session in Grand Prix mode.

I think it might be a really good idea if 2014 could include an additional mode in Proving Grounds which would allow us to practice on a circuit with full fuel and tyre degradation so you can have a proper test of settings and setups. You can do this in the NASCAR: The Game series with its 'Track Testing' mode, which will even give you in-depth stats about laptimes, tyre wear, max speed, average laptimes, etc and will even separate stats between different runs so you can see exactly what sort of settings are working better for you with no spreadsheet required!

I appreciate the developers have a lot of ambitions about what to include in the 2014 edition and beyond so this might not really be all that important, but I feel this is just one simple addition that might be appreciated by a fair amount of players if it was included.

NEW VIDEO about "Live the Life" mantra and Career Mode for F1 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwLV1BXqrk

My ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtkDHK31y28

Really want a warm up lap and also feedback from the team. An example being like f1 2010, the team tell you if they are happy with you or not.

Hey everyone, 

I'm doing a new video about the communities Top 5 game improvements for F1 2014 and I was wondering if you guys could through in your best ideas! Need Inspiration check out my video

Thanks Forum! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtkDHK31y28

aarava said:
NEW VIDEO about "Live the Life" mantra and Career Mode for F1 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwLV1BXqrk
That intro brought back many memories. I spent more hours on f1 2010  than the new ones put together i think. It was just so immersive.

• Regarding R+D improvements and objectives, I think it would be a great decision to include the Jerez/Bahrain pre-season testing; taking into account how chaotic and unpredictable it all has been so far, the game could reward or punish your performance during the tests with reliability issues in the early races of the season (so you might start like Lotus, struggling to finish the race, Ferrari, always in the top 10 but struggling to find speed, or Mercedes, struggling to entertain anyone).
  • I really don't know how to implement this, but I'd love to see customisable ERS maps, so I can decide where to use my 33 seconds.
  • I don't consider myself a casual gamer, but I've always been an absolute noob regarding setups and the technical stuff overall. A tutorial part or explanatory video would be really appreciated (something included in the Young Drivers Test maybe, the 2003 IndyCar Series game did a great job here; by the way, I don't find my engineers very didactic).
  • Lastly, I know it'll be very hard considering the licensing and all that, but I thought about "regional" sponsors. For example, if I start my career as a Venezuelan rookie, PDVSA will start sponsoring my new team [I'm Argentinean, so you could take YPF instead (I hope I can see the YPF logo on Regalía's car soon)]. It does look impossible, so here's where the fake sponsors come in handy. The teams could also change one of the sponsors of their liveries according to the Grand Prix (Mobil 1, Esso and Gulf Air for McLaren, for example).

My wish list for 2014 Interviews to return Press conferences More varied news stories More helmets Break downs Commentary More realistic damage More classic cars for classic mode Podiums Warm up laps More realistic HUD

I think it would be a great idea to give the Young Driver Test a miss this year. The guys already have a version of Jerez so why not use that as an introduction to pre-season testing instead? It would also be a great way to introduce the player to the new 2014 cars (especially when there hasn't been a YDT in the 2014 cars yet anyway).

My Wishlist for F1 2014:

1. Helmet Creator or custom helmet designs (with the drivers current team sponsors along the visor like in F1 2011)
2. Podiums
3. Press Conferences with proper Q&As
4. Paddock to return
5. Rookie driver being able to secure a seat in a top team
6. Warm Up laps
7. AI tire wear to be the same as Player - In F1 2013 my tires would go off at least 5 laps before suggested stop, and AIs times would still be quick even on 20 lap old tires
8. More non-finishes and mechanical faults
9. All 3 Practice Sessions, with quick pit-stops for Qualifying
10. More interactions off the track, to make me feel like an F1 Driver
11. More technical Engineer who gives more detailed information

In F1 2010 and 2011 I really felt as though I was in the F1 world, answering to the press and having an effect both on and off the track. F1 2012 and 2013 were much better technically but it felt a lot... ...colder than the first 2 games. I want that buzz back!

I think it would be cool if setting up the car was more than just 1-11, Something like Forza. I would also like to see wet weather racing improved. In previous games I could take the dry racing line in the wet and race like in a the dry, if the wet racing line could be added to the game it would truly add to the experience of racing in wet weather conditions. Another thing I would like to see in the game is to be able to influence how long a pit stop takes. It has always been around 3.1 seconds and never a mistake. I would like to see some 2 second stops and also see some bad stops like for example when Red Bull messed up Ricciardo's stop in Malaysia.

I wish I was a moderator lol. http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/82/f1-2014-game-ideas-thread/p1

just had an idea myself which could prove interesting

give F1 2014 or future F1 game a more RPG feel in that you have to think and plan your race weekend out for example using an experience points system throughout the practice sessions where the more laps you do the better the team can set the car up to your liking making the qualifying and race easier depending on what difficulty level you're playing on of course but at the same time you don't want to do too many laps that you wear out your tyres given modern day F1's resource limitations before going into the qualifying and race itself and it'll be up to each individual player to determine whsat they want to do with the resources they have at their disposal now at each weekend

I think adding something like this would spice up the career mode and give it new life

codemasters should bring gp2 and gp3 into the game, so that in career mode you have to earn your way into an f1 drive/test rather than starting out at the young drivers test, also, the career mode needs to be more than 5 seasons, for me thats just too short.

codemasters should bring gp2 and gp3 into the game
Not going to happen I'm afraid, this is 'F1' 2014 after all. Anyway they don't have the licensing for that, and it'd be too much work to create a whole new car (or two) complete with engine sounds, driving physics and the like. I'm sure the majority of players would much rather they focus on polishing the existing game.

Can we join all the multi player platforms into one? Playing on PC, I have never ever found a game online in which I can just join. It would be cool if they were all joined together, so there would be more people. Through this, there won't be any disadvantages for any specific platform because everyone either uses a controller or racing wheel (even on PC) and playing on your keyboard is nearly impossible.

I would like to see the AI overtake a lot more with each other. And when they do overtake each other they should show it in a pop-up window like the one they did in Official Formula One Racing by Eidos and Lankhor. It used to be a cool feature. Also when something interesting event like a car crashes or if a safety car is deployed they can show it on this pop-up window.

The next feature would be the tires. The AI should gamble on the tires when the weather is unpredictable and even when the track is completely wet, if the player is on a complete slick tires, they should be able to drive the car at a manageable pace and not keep spinning-off the kerbs or on long winding turns. All the tires should be compatible to some extent when they are not used on ideal conditions.

Tire temperatures effect should be made more visible for the players. 

Pitstop mini-game from F1 Championship Edition  

The race day atmosphere must be made more lively and they should improve the appearance of the crowd and their response when an overtaking takes place or when their home team wins the race. 

MY SUGGESTIONS: - Another formula like GP2/3 if Licensing prevails however, introduce a fictional formula which acts as a stepping stone to F1 in Career with clear teamlinks (HIlmer-Force India, Arden-Red Bull, ART-McLaren and DAMS-Lotus) - Return of the F1 2010 menu/Paddock, or even the ability to walk around the paddock. - Customizable Helmets - Team do set-up in response to your feedback in practice. - Take team-mates setup/ guesstimate opposition setups. - Customizable grids for leagues (for instance if a GP2 format is used with a top 8 reverse grid. thanks for reading :)