Sign in to follow this  

What do you want in F1 2014? GAME IDEAS

I'd like to see an automatic setup type feature. Similar to F1 2006 on PS2. From memory, you drove for a few laps and the engineer would give recommended settings according to the way you drove. (eg: ratios, wings, balance). You could then decide to either keep, scrap or further fine tune the settings. It might help those people who rely on other people's setups that are not familiar with setting up. I'd like to see an advanced model of this or even a basic one.

Hatta said:
Great stuff here guys. Keep the ideas coming. 
So your going to listen to us this year and use some of the things we want or are you just getting us to make the forums look busy?
I'm pretty sure the staff looks at and considers all the suggestions in this thread, but due to the licensing and development strategies, it's not always possible to implement all suggestions that are made here directly into the game.

Would it be possible so we can have our own career number? I know you've had troubles before with being able to change the original car livery to put stuff like this on there, put it would be a nice addition if we could do it this year. We'd be able to choose from any number that isn't already taken by current drivers, test drivers etc.. You could even stretch it out so our race overalls could have them on, and implement them into the HUD, like in real.

Liam12d said:
Would it be possible so we can have our own career number? I know you've had troubles before with being able to change the original car livery to put stuff like this on there, put it would be a nice addition if we could do it this year. We'd be able to choose from any number that isn't already taken by current drivers, test drivers etc.. You could even stretch it out so our race overalls could have them on, and implement them into the HUD, like in real.
I guess they may be able to stretch to that given you can choose your number on the Moto GP13 game depends on the license though

Hatta said:
So your going to listen to us this year and use some of the things we want or are you just getting us to make the forums look busy?
I'm pretty sure the staff looks at and considers all the suggestions in this thread, but due to the licensing and development strategies, it's not always possible to implement all suggestions that are made here directly into the game.
Name one thing they have added that was asked for by the community.

ALot of you are saying the AIs' racing line needs to be improved, and I totally agree, many a time in career I would be passed by a car and then they swerve over to my side of the track and brake 50-100 metres before my braking point so I smash into the back of them.

GUYS CODEMASTERS CANT USE THE PROPER TV HUD WATCH THIS SO YOU DONT EXPECT STUFF THEY CANT DO BEACUSE THEY DONT HAVE THE PERMISSION FROM THE FIA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKq1T5WMa1U&list=UUK2tPYS2j64EWU0K5x9lveA

Id also like to back up Tommy Martinezs' point, Codemasters work under license(s) restrictions so that puts and end to helmet creator, drivers swapping teams and TV graphics. 

I just thought it was important to make the point again.

Would be much better if Codemaster made a statement about what is not possible rather than have people post videos about stuff they are not 100% sure of or ramble on and on.

Hatta said:
I believe the safety car was very frequently as I recall after 2010's release

Hatta said:
Erm... most recently Classics?

Hatta said:
Safety Car.

Liam12d said:
Hatta said:
Erm... most recently Classics?
yeah I think the classics were as well

Would be much better if Codemaster made a statement about what is not possible rather than have people post videos about stuff they are not 100% sure of or ramble on and on.
I only mention the points Im 100% certain of, so don't worry about wether it's legit or not :)

better doppler effect during replays
better/more complex engine sounds
helmet cam- view from inside helmet, you can see the driver lean into the corners.  (I think theres a youtube video of one from the view of a caterham)
allow use of clutch and 6 spd shifter on older f1 cars 
bring back 3 practice sessions
interactive pit stops
warm up lap
formation lap
bring back 2010 pit design
ability to drive classic cars in and out of pits
ability to create your own audio name as in 2010
longer qualifying session for classic cars
SENNA
adjustable boost for classic cars
Nordschliefe
old Monza
old Spa
old Hockenheim

It's a small thing, but I'd really love to see a camera angle included that's on the side of the air intake, just like Senna's famous lap video of Monaco. Additionally, being able to view on either right or left side.

Better Replays Less bugs And the option to turn things on/off. Add in everything and let the player decide what they want. Definitely podiums and keeping track of the seasons results in full so we dont have to make our own excel spreadsheet. Proper online servers

I hope this post is read and some points are considered, as this has taken a while to write out, and I think there are some genuinely decent thoughts :P It's gonna be in two parts. The first post here is my thoughts on F1 2013 and how some things could be improved, and then the second part will be my F1 2014 ideas.

F1 2013 thoughts and improvements
I have played F1 2013 for a few months now and it is a pretty good game, offline at least, but I have noticed a few things which are just a bit weird and I hope they won't be in future F1 games. These may sound really pedantic, but trust me, if all these little things were ironed out then the game would be better in my opinion. By the way, I am on the PS3.

1) Floating bollards
This is often seen for me at Nurburgring T1, Bahrain T10 (I think) where basically, a car hits the bollard on the inside of the corner, and the top half of the bollard just floats randomly beside the bottom half which is in the right place. Why doesn't the whole bollard just come out and lie on the track, or at least the top half? It shouldn't just float in mid air.

Also, on the subject of bollards, if one of them is knocked over in a session, they shouldn't come back the next lap. I'm thinking of the swimming pool chicane at Monaco for example. Often the bollard is knocked over and a lap later it is back.

2) Sudden driver movement on steering wheel when crossing the line to finish a race
So you cross the line at the end of a race, and the driver really quickly turns either left or right almost so quick you can't see it. Why does this happen? The car should just continue straight and then take a few seconds to glide into place. Again, really pedantic, but I can't think of other racing games that do this.

3) Better radio comments at more logical times
I was in a league race the other day and I just came out the pits. I was on fresher tyres than the car ahead who just passed me. The engineer said something like 'The car in front set a much faster time on that last lap, we need to up the pace.' Well obviously he just set a quicker time as I just lost 20 seconds by going through the pit lane. That is of course a valid comment when in the middle of a stint, but to say it just when I come out the pits is unnecessary.

Also, for 3 laps I was behind a car and the gap went from 2.9 behind to 2.6 to 3.1. Why then does the engineer come on the radio and say 'You are doing really well, you're two seconds quicker than the car ahead'? Surely he should be saying something like 'You need to up the pace, you're just about falling behind the car in front'.

4) Grand Prix mode getting mixed up between F1 2013 and F1 Classics
I was in the middle of a custom season on F1 2013 on Grand Prix mode and was about 10 races into my 16 race season. Anyway, I wanted to go onto F1 Classics and do a Grand Prix custom season there, so I did. Anyway, I came back another day to continue my 2013 custom season and the race was different and despite saying 'Go to Race' on the 2013 section, I actually turned up in the 1980s car in the place where I was in my classic custom season! So I lost my progress in the 2013 season and had to start again. This means that if I want to do a long 16 race season then I actually can't do any classic Grand Prix otherwise I'll lose it. That shouldn't happen.

5) Logical corner cutting boundaries
There are some corners in the game where you can completely cut a corner and receive no warning, but there are others where you cut it marginally and receive a warning. For example, you can completely cut T4 at Australia and receive no warning, but you can only just cut a bit of a corner in Austin and receive a warning. It doesn't make sense. The system should be that if you put all four wheels off track when taking the apex of a corner, you cut it. On the outside of a corner (e.g. final corner at Abu Dhabi, long right hander at India) you should be able to run off the track and receive no warning because they do that in F1, but actually cutting corners needs to be refined in my view.

Right, time for part 2.

F1 2014 Ideas
These are just some thoughts and if I was in charge of making an F1 game, I would like this.

1) Replays from other cars
It would be great if you were able to view replays from other cars, not just your own. For example, if you heard on the radio 'Your team mate has just retired', then you can go to that driver and look at what happened.

2) Game menus like F1 2010
I really like the 'Live the Life' element on F1 2010, where you were in the paddock and the menus were floating around the team trucks. I don't mind the current menus but a return to that would be great.

3) Real life scenarios in Scenario Mode
I really enjoyed completing the scenarios, but I think it would be great if you could include some real life scenarios, ones that actually happened over the last couple of years. This may be tough, but some of these would be great.

4) Helmet designer
This would be epic. They say the driver's helmet defines his character. Let's have this. You race as yourself in career mode, you should be able to use your own helmet.

5) Warm-up/Formation lap
Pretty simple, the formation lap, where you can go out and firstly get a feel for the conditions and also warm up your tyres. Then you line up on the grid and from there the start procedure is as it normally is.

6) Fuel saving meter
So for this year in F1, fuel saving is pretty important, and therefore I think it would be great if there was a little meter in a corner of the screen showing your current fuel use. Have a look at this little sketch I've done here. Something like this would be good. The player can easily see how much fuel he has used. The bar here is currently green which means he is doing good fuel saving, but that bar can change colour to amber (right on target) or red (below target). Below that you can also see a detailed look on where you would end up. So at the moment he will have enough fuel for another half a lap.

7) More realistic damage
I think the damage should have a setting which is something like 'Extreme', so therefore the slightest contact will mean you lose some front wing for example. Also, the wheels should have tethers (the things that stop the wheels flying off). All crashes where the tyres come off have tethers keeping them on the car, and the game should have this.

8) Bahrain pre-season test in career mode
The new cars have taken a long time to get used to, and all the teams were finding issues with the cars. It would be good to have a one hour long session where the player can get to grips with his new car and try out different aero packages, fuel saving methods, etc. Perhaps the engineer can give the driver 5 or 6 different tests to do in that one hour.

9) Car control in the pit lane
I think the driver should have the option to have control in the pit lane. So the driver has to slow down to the pit lane speed limit, otherwise they will have a penalty. Then you have to get the braking right for the pit box.

10) Car control off the line
Instead of just flooring the throttle, an option to have control at the start would be great. So you have to have the throttle on, and with the brake too. To make it easier, the driver doesn't have to have the brake fully on. As long as it is on, the car shouldn't move. Then as soon as you release the brake completely, the car goes. If you jump the start you get a penalty. If you are on time, well done.

11) Another decade added to the classic cars with a couple more classic tracks
So to extend the current 80s and 90s cars and four tracks, I think another decade should be added. Either the 70s cars or the cars from the 00s. I think the 00s cars would be better actually, and maybe a couple more classic tracks too, preferably from the 00s. Perhaps Magny-Cours or Istanbul Park.

12) More competitive AI at the start of a race
Even on the hardest difficulty setting, which I find hard to keep up with in the race itself, I can make up at least 7 places at the start, due to early braking from the AI and them generally being slow. They need to be upped a bit to make it harder for the driver to make up places.

13) Improved HUD
I think the HUD can be improved a bit, and it would be useful in my view to see where other drivers are. I've done another little sketch here, and you can see the main difference is the left hand side, where I think there should be a list of the full 22 drivers with their 3 letter name. Here you can see where everyone is, and how far behind they are too. Maybe little icons could come up if they get a penalty (penalty flag), or their name could turn purple if they set a fastest lap. Or green if they set a personal best. And in the place of the old KERS battery is the fuel flow meter I discussed earlier.

- Manual control everywhere (Pitlane, Formation lap, false starts, stalling engine)

- Realistic & more sensitive damage
- Controls ideal for wheel
- Realistic physics
- Proper setups (e.g. like in rFactor)
- Forced cockpit view
- H-Shifter + clutch for classic cars (The lack of this was the most disappointing thing in F1 2013)

those are my wishes for F1 2014
Cheers
Edited by TheEqualTester