DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slight bends after crests of jumps: can I get a little 'caution' from my copilot???

I've been finding now (maybe because I've jumped to WRC which are more powerful) that the copilots' calls before jumps in Finland are often massively lacking! The typical example is when he tells me something like "crest (or jump), stay middle" and nothing else. So I do as he says full speed, only to find that there's a bend immediately afterwards and I overshoot it! There's countless occasions of this in Finland, so the result is I end up lifting the foot before just about every crest or jump that I haven't memorised to ensure I can adjust after landing just in case, because I certainly can't count on my copilot to tell me 'caution' on the ones that need it.

There's a couple other individual cases of very late calls, most infuriatingly on a stage in Greece where there's a 'right 4' just before the finish and it's just about IMPOSSIBLE to brake in time for the corner from when he calls it! Ruined many a great stage times by overshooting that very last corner! The only way to take it is to know it, and start braking before he even opens his mouth.

The other annoying one is in Germany where there's a very long turn/straight right that you take pretty much full speed for a long time, and then there's a tight corner at the end and again, he calls it too late to humanly take it. At least that one is easy to memorise, since it comes after that long full speed stretch. I've tried setting the calls to be early but then even if these get better, all the others feel too early for me and I couldn't adjust.

Anyway, the jumps thing is the worst, since it really limits my times throughout the entire stage, unless I know it very well. A simple 'caution' on those jumps/crests that have a bend right after would make a huge difference.

It sounds like you're not listening to the distance numbers. He calls the distance between notes in meters, that should be enough information to tell you how far away the next corner will be. For example, "middle over jump 100" should clue you in that you need to be prepared for a corner 100 meters after the jump, regardless of what the corner is or when he calls it. He always calls the notes before you run out of distance, but if you don't pay attention to the distance notes it can seem like they are being called at random times. The faster cars probably make it seem harder to keep up since you're not used to the pace yet, I definitely needed to adjust when my average speeds started going up.

If you're having a hard time judging distances, try lowering your field of view so the road appears closer to 1:1 scale on your screen. This will help you judge the distances more accurately.

Lastly, there is a call timing setting in the preferences menu if you didn't already know, I personally need it to be on "Earlier" to be comfortable.

Thanks, I mentioned I tried the call timings thing, didn't work for me. Can't adjust FOV on PS4. I'll see if the problem is I'm ignoring distances next time I do Finland, maybe you're right. Those 2 other calls in Greece and Germany are not related to distances though, they're just wrong.

There are a few places on this game where codriver give too late/wrong information, and only way I found solving this was to learn the track. Not trying to start a discussion, just informing you that other players experience the same as you with late calls even though regulars inhere will tell you that your driving is the problem.

No offense to the regulars inhere, but no matter what complaint coming here, you will be told that its your driving thats the problem...

Set the calls to early or earliest and you should be fine in Finland. The only thing I've found slightly offsetting about the calls in Finland is that there are parts where the calls come with a bit different timing than the rest where it's possible to lose track of which corner is next (is it a left 5 or a left 2, both were called).

Same thing happens in greece in two places that I know of. That right 4 in the end of one of the greek stages that you complain about is called well in time, only thing is that it should maybe be called as a right 3, or maybe with a caution.

Not sure which corner you mean is too late in germany, can't recall any really bad calls there.

Just get used to running with earlier pace notes and you really should be fine tbh.

Dytut said:
That right 4 in the end of one of the greek stages that you complain about is called well in time, only thing is that it should maybe be called as a right 3, or maybe with a caution.

Not sure which corner you mean is too late in germany, can't recall any really bad calls there.
After I've went off in that right 4 in Greece, I learned to slow down a bit more for it. Actually, I've gone off in that corner more, when driving from the other side (when it's right at the start of the stage, sometimes called ot as left 4 and sometimes as left 3)

In Germany he probably means the straight with the big jump in the middle. When going uphill (opposite direction to the jump), there's a straight where you can go over 200km/h with a square right at the end. With normal pacenotes when he does the call, it's already too late to slow down enough.

Sorry, I missed that you adjusted the call distance. There are some notes that are wrong, I think I know what corners you're referring to. The 'right 4' in Greece should really be a 'right 3 tight keep mid' for example. The corner in Germany you mentioned, if I'm thinking of the same one, is preceded by '400,' telling you it will be a very long straight, but since it ends with a square right it could probably do with a 'caution' or 'slowing' beforehand for safety. I've definitely had some, ahem, "moments" on both of those corners.  ;)

coastkey said:
No offense to the regulars inhere, but no matter what complaint coming here, you will be told that its your driving thats the problem...
We always bring up driving technique because we want to help people improve their driving. Technique matters in this game, and for a lot of new players, that's a new experience. We're not trying to ignore problems the game might have if that's what it seems like, we just want people to learn the game and stick with it because we found it extremely rewarding and we want others to have that experience too.

I kinda agree. There's one spot on Bronfelon *Wales* second sector, super fast section where the driver calls a "right five after crest into left five stay in" except right after the crest there's a slight left. But since you're setting up for the right, you end up flying off the crest into the field. I know it now, but it's caused me several DNF's.

In Finland, I also agree. A lot of the calls are way too late and my co-pilots been set to "very early". It won't mean much once I have every corner set to memory, but for I tell myself that it forces me to drive a little more "realistically" because when I know I stage, I drive WAY faster than I think I would if it were the real thing. You know, self-preservation instincts...

I absolutely love the game and the effort codemaster have put into it. But I think they're lacking a lot in this sort of feedback. Could be easily sorted through updates and they don't seem to respond regarding the pacenotes. Not here and not in twitter.
Pace notes in brazilian portuguese are mind-boggling at times and there's no signs they'll mend it. There's no reason why you should restart your stage 3, or 4 times for the sake of pausing the game and adjusting co-pilot's anticipation for a single corner. It breaks fluidity, specially when you're playing long stages in the masters difficulty.

I know technique and some level of memorization are very important, but so is game support and going through with the promise of dialogue with the product's consumers.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, yeah that's the one in Germany I meant. I think I'll try again to adapt to earlier calls, give it more time. 

There are a few sections in the game where the calls are slightly late, one in Greece for instance, a right 5, tightens to 2, where without some kind of track memorisation can be trouble as I've found you need to brake for the two well before you hear the 'tightens to' segment of the call. 
Yes, you can fix this by making the calls a bit earlier, but then I find all calls a little too early for my liking causing me to loose concentration.
As far as your complaints about Finland, some calls aren't perfect I admit, but I suspect your biggest issue maybe with your under standing of the 'over, into, then' segment of the calls.
Sometimes I think the calls are off, then after a restart and a little more caution in the area in question, I find the calls to give me the warning I needed, it was just my concentration that let me down.
Stiil, after consistent play, you cant help but kind of learn the tricky sections of most runs.