Jump to content Jump to content

10 weeks. No definitive answer. Shambles.

My10

Hmm, FFB still shocking on tracks like Monte Carlo, no feel for the car whatsoever...such a shame, it's a great game but when you get more feel for the car using a controller, something is just not right
@Hengist  @My10
Ive been messing about with the ps4 and ffb for the last couple of days and I think I've finally figured out how to fix it if you are interested? I started off with a completely clean Ps4 and installed all the updates and started playing dirt, the ffb was very much improved yippee. Then something happened (ps4 auto shutdown) and my ffb suddenly seemed a lot worse and appeared to be back to its usual crappy feeling.
I followed the steps below and my ffb returned to feeling great? I know of at least one other person who tried this and it worked for him too :smile:
What you need to do is export the dirt rally save file to a usb drive so you can save your previous progress and then DELETE the save file from the ps4. Next make sure the ps4 and dirt are fully updated and start the game (do not reload the save file yet) put in all the required settings etc to allow you to start the game. Set all the ffb settings to max and start to play a custom event and see if your ffb is any stronger? Hopefully you should notice a real difference?  Then after you've wiped the smile off your face if  the ffb is improved you can then reload the save game file and see if it is still the same?
Id be very interested to know if this improves your Tarmac ffb because it certainly has for me on Monte Carlo & Germany :smiley:
Hengist said:
Thanks for the post madwak,

I'll give it a try. One question, is the usb stick part necessary, or can you alternatively delete the system save data and then reload from a cloud save?
Cloud save would probably work, the main bit is to delete it from the ps4 I reckon and make a new save file by starting the game again. It appears some corruption has appeared on the original save file and ps4 somehow?

@My10 - so? Does your wheel work? Do you freakin' LOVE it?? It sounds odd I'm sure, but I'm happy that you're finally able to have the full experience.

If it has been fixed (see @madwak post) and you're digging the way it feels, join the CRAP DiRT League. There were some problems with Racenet over the weekend and our last event was lost. So, as a test there's one event up now. 8 stages in Germany - Group A vehicles. Post a time - it's fun!! For giggle...my PS4 handle is Dice73AF. Happy rallying, dude!!

madwak said:
Hengist said:
Thanks for the post madwak,

I'll give it a try. One question, is the usb stick part necessary, or can you alternatively delete the system save data and then reload from a cloud save?
Cloud save would probably work, the main bit is to delete it from the ps4 I reckon and make a new save file by starting the game again. It appears some corruption has appeared on the original save file and ps4 somehow?
Awesome discovery madwak. I'll be sure to give this a try as soon as I can! That's all one can do, by giving this a try. The suggestion of possible file corruption certainly makes good scense. Thank you.

Cheers,
1.03 patch made my FFB heavier than before.  Seems consistent thru all vehicles whereas before some cars were good and others had none. Now when I turn everything up to 150% the FFB is twice as strong as before. And I used thrustmasters suggestions were some things were below 100. Before at 150 there was next to no FFB, now the higher u go the stronger it gets. I use T300rs and I know CM said FFB should be the same as before, but to me it is way better. Still not as strong as u wud expect maxed out, but very exceptable. 
Thank you @madwak and @Habsolute. I haven't had time to try your workaround madwak, but I'm optimistic, and I'm also very appreciative of the fact that you've taken the time to ask how the experience is Habsolute - it's over and above anything I expected. I hope to hit you up sometime soon to try and beat you over the finish line :) After a turbulent week on the British Isles, you've somewhat restored my belief that there's still an abundance decent people out there.  Thanks!

@My10 - since I'm Canadian and we're a member state of the Monarchy, I feel you. Turbulent is putting it mildly. That said, I wholeheartedly understand. We'll be racing whenever you have the time...be well and I'll see you on the stages!!

madwak said:
@Hengist  @My10
Ive been messing about with the ps4 and ffb for the last couple of days and I think I've finally figured out how to fix it if you are interested? I started off with a completely clean Ps4 and installed all the updates and started playing dirt, the ffb was very much improved yippee. Then something happened (ps4 auto shutdown) and my ffb suddenly seemed a lot worse and appeared to be back to its usual crappy feeling.
I followed the steps below and my ffb returned to feeling great? I know of at least one other person who tried this and it worked for him too :smile:
What you need to do is export the dirt rally save file to a usb drive so you can save your previous progress and then DELETE the save file from the ps4. Next make sure the ps4 and dirt are fully updated and start the game (do not reload the save file yet) put in all the required settings etc to allow you to start the game. Set all the ffb settings to max and start to play a custom event and see if your ffb is any stronger? Hopefully you should notice a real difference?  Then after you've wiped the smile off your face if  the ffb is improved you can then reload the save game file and see if it is still the same?
Id be very interested to know if this improves your Tarmac ffb because it certainly has for me on Monte Carlo & Germany :smiley:

Anyone else try this? Did you also experience improved FFB? Cheers
Tried it last night, and whilst rally stages are great, anything on asphalt is still off. Not sure if that's how it just 'is', but rallycross for example is close to unplayable...The gravel rally stages are great though
Thanks for that. There is still something a bit weird going on with the ps4 and I'm still trying to work out what it is? For example when the fix has worked correctly the ffb on Tarmac is very good but there also seems to be another scenario where the fix hasn't quite worked and the ffb is improved but not as good as it can be. 
I'll try and explain - my aim was test that the ffb was the same on the T500 and T300 but I was having so much fun with the T500 and very good ffb that I haven't got round to trying the T300 yet (after 2 days). When the ffb is working correctly you can go down through the Sweden and Monte Carlo stages and feel when the wheels are starting to lose grip but when it's not quite right you only start to notice after you've started to lose grip. The force that appears to go missing is the one that you feel when turning the wheel and this is the one that's making it feel weak on Tarmac. 
A little test to see if you have the correct ffb is get ready on the start line on a Tarmac stage and try turning the wheel and see if there is any resistance, if there is none then try tapping the gas and getting the car crawling along and see if there is any resistance? When the fix hasn't worked you won't feel much resistance (if any at all) but when it has worked you will feel huge resistance after tapping the gas and rolling along. It's best to do this test with all the ffb settings at max and the wheel manually locked at 360 degrees using the buttons.
Off to connect the T300 now and see how that performs?  :smile:
I didnt see/feel a difference but I might be doing something wrong re. the cloud save file. 
@My10 - are the gravel stages much better than before? Thanks
@My10 @thurlesdrunk   Have you tried saving your game save file on the cloud and then starting the game from scratch after deleting the save file from the ps4 and playing the game for a bit and bothering about reloading the save file yet?  Note that when you do this all the ffb settings default to 100 and its best to just turn everything up to 150 to give max ffb for testing and also lock the wheel using the mode button to 2 flashes. If this fix has made a difference then you WILL notice it trust me. Also the most important thing is to make sure the ps4 is running 3.55 system software as since this update my ffb has improved dramatically on all my other games :smile:
@thurlesdrunk  @My10
 I've just been doing some semi-scientific testing with my T500 to try and give you some idea of the ffb I'm feeling. I dug out my luggage weighing scale ( the type you hook on your suitcase and then lift it off the floor) hooked it into the angle between the the rim and cross member on my wheel and noted the following,
Whilst stationary on the Tarmac at lyddon the gauge registered 3lbs whilst pulling the wheel to the right, when I set the car moving at just 10mph the gauge registered 10-12lbs when doing the same turn - hopefully this should give you some idea of the ffb that I'm getting on Tarmac? It also did the same at pikes peak (Tarmac and gravel) and at Monte Carlo :smile:

Update - I've just swapped the T500 for the T300 and repeated the tests, at standstill there is NO resistance and at 10mph there is 8-10lbs showing on the scale. 
@Hengist
Thanks for the reply, have you got good ffb already or is it really poor? Any chance of trying my suggestion in the post above with the luggage scale just to see what you are already getting?  Before I got my ffb working correctly the pull on the T300 was only registering about 4lbs which is extremely weak but it now registers 8-10 which is adequate but not as good as the T500 which registers 10-12lbs :smile:
So when I first started it up it was on the stock rotation which is 1080 on the T300. It felt weak with no resistance and was unplayable.
When I dropped it down on the wheel manually to 360 it was like night and day full strong FFB. I did not delete any files or remove the previous patch. I have a TX as well which requires the strength of a Silver Back Gorrilla to manage at times so this is not wishful thinking or any kind of placebo effect. So on my wheel if I don't reduce the rotation it's like it was at launch. FFB is on par with Forza 6. I can feel the little bumps on the gravel dirt stages. Tarmac is horrid but it's that way on the TX as far as small bumps go. I've been as critical as anyone on this but if it had felt this way at launch I never would have had a problem. I'll fire up the TX today and make sure but I can tell you it should be pretty strong now.
Still knackered. I've realised that it's only ever good when it's trying to give you a feeling of resistance or bumps - so gravel etc is fine - but it doesn't give any sense of grip (or the loss of it), so driving on tarmac it just feels like you're skating on ice (even ice seems to give more sense of FFB than tarmac ironically).
Think I'm done with it now, the trial and error has become frustrating and tedious.
Thanks all for your suggestions and support, I'll be back if they ever release a fix.
So I have to say they are pretty close. I did Greece first they are about the same to me. Maybe a bit stronger on the TX as far as torque but not enough to affect my driving. Just did Monaco and maybe it's just me but I felt the TX had more grip.....maybe. If you haven't played it on a TX on a Xbone or PC and your rating the FFB without comparison then it may just the overall FFB that you don't like. I'm going to have a snack break but when I try it again I'm going to run the TX at 900 degrees. If it feels the same and it will then I think there is a weird bug that has to do with the degrees of rotation on the T300. Maybe it has to be set lower manually on the wheel to get strong FFB.
Well, like I've mentioned before, the FFB on tarmac is pretty godawful, there's usually no feeling ever. I'm also pretty sure that they do want to run at 360, so when you try and run at higher it skews the force curve and gives weak FFB. Which is still crap, but I'm on PC and the gravels the only thing that really actually feels any good.

Archived