Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 European Grand Prix

So, let's chat! What do you think of the track? I personally really like the look of it so far. Remains to be seen if it will produce a good race.

I like it a lot as well, reminds me of  Macau and Adelaide. I predict lots of crashes in quali and race, Maylander will be busy on Sunday. 

Theres one section i don't like and thats the S type corner looks very narrow and barely a cars width.

It's unfit to race and I expect people to get hurt, but I'm excited nevertheless.

If the UK had a street race we wouldn't need chicanes to slow drivers down, there would be pot holes to do that :joy:

Watching qualifying and I can't see this being a good race other than all the safety car restarts.

He looked like he was drunk, probably the worst standard of driving in a session from him. 

I may be a Hamilton looking for an excuse.
But did it look like the sun dappled at T11 and blinded the apex?

Juice29 said:
Might have hurt him but noone else hit the wall there. He was poor all session, really surprised by it.

Pretty happy with that! :smiley: That being said, with that huge straight Hamilton should make up places pretty easily tomorrow. 

Oh, and what an awesome job by Checo!                  

Juice29 said:
You should work for Sky F1. 

Fortunately for Hamilton this looks like Mercedes' most dominant circuit of the season. Easy 2nd place at least, presuming he keeps it out of trouble. 

Gotta say Verstappen is looking more and more ordinary with every race weekend. On race pace he's close to Ricciardo, but in qualifying Daniel has demolished him at every event so far. 

Of course he does, he's still the one who stepped into a new car during the season and he always showed more of his prowess during the race, instead of qualifying. I would be surprised if he started beating Ricciardo in quali straight away.

Also, typical failures from Hulkenberg and Ferrari again. Great stuff.

Verstappen is still new to the team tbf. Too early to make a judgement.

Jiggy said:
Of course he does, he's still the one who stepped into a new car during the season and he always showed more of his prowess during the race, instead of qualifying. I would be surprised if he started beating Ricciardo in quali straight away.

Also, typical failures from Hulkenberg and Ferrari again. Great stuff.
By saying he's looking more and more ordinary I was speaking comparatively - meaning I don't think he's not at the levels of being the "once in a generation" driver he was touted as being. Multiple time race winner? Definitely. Future World Champion? Probably. But that's as far as it goes. 

Hughesy said:
He looked like he was drunk, probably the worst standard of driving in a session from him. 
yeah it looked like he was always misjudging the braking zones. I don't know how hilly the track is but it looked like that maybe he misjudged because of that. Hard to really say but that's what it looked like to me. Either way not a good session for him in a season that has been somewhat disappointing for him so far but there's a long way to go and Rosberg has slipped u in the past 2 races as well so it's still all to play for.

So disappointed for Perez having the grid penalty. He could've had a real chance of leading the race tomorrow with those long straights. But I guess he only has himself to blame for the incident, but considering the situation he put himself in, he did a perfect job.

Would be very surprised if Lewis isn't on the podium tomorrow. Mercedes are blisteringly quick, he should breeze past most cars on the straight.

Hughesy said:
yeah it looked like he was always misjudging the braking zones. I don't know how hilly the track is but it looked like that maybe he misjudged because of that. Hard to really say but that's what it looked like to me. Either way not a good session for him in a season that has been somewhat disappointing for him so far but there's a long way to go and Rosberg has slipped u in the past 2 races as well so it's still all to play for.
To be fair most drivers misjudged and had to use the run offs.

"Pirelli say Hamilton, all of whose tyres are damaged, will be given a set with identical mileage to the ones he used in Q2, even if not his"
https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/744447354670059522

This seems like a bit of bullshit rule. What's to stop a driver putting in a fast lap and then "accidentally" locking up at T1 while "attempting to do another lap" and getting a free set of tyres to start the race on with no penalty (having to stop earlier or a couple of spots on the grid).

Main thing I take from this is the tyres you make Q3 with you have to start the race on rule needs to go.

My fault for reading Benson first, they are replacing his front left though. Still starting the race on Q2 tyres is dumb.