Sign in to follow this  

GRID Autosport: Hard & Very Hard AI drivers are jerks.

What happened to the AI this time around? During most of my races in Career mode I have had them ruined by either someone spinning me going into a corner even though I gave space, sideswiped by the car I was in the middle of passing, or bumped off the track and then getting penalised for it. I have had a few other scenarios too, but they didn't happen as frequent.

I'm all for a little bit of aggression, but the AI are very stupid at times! It's as if they have no awareness of you or like to use you as their brakes. Even for the Touring cars it's too much, I was expecting more of a light nudging and push experience with that discipline, but most of them felt more like a banger race instead.

It's frustrating, which is a shame because this problem has stopped me from really enjoying this game.

Well I believe the AI on Very Hard difficulty can be rather stupid at times, for example at Algarve on the 1st corner Aaron Westley careened into the side of my car for no reason, despite me leaving ample room. So I restarted, & of course he does it again...

Well I believe the AI on Very Hard difficulty can be rather stupid at times, for example at Algarve on the 1st corner Aaron Westley careened into the side of my car for no reason, despite me leaving ample room. So I restarted, & of course he does it again...
They are just arseholes on that track, a few of them fly into that first corner at full speed with the intention of using the car in front to turn in and also on a few other corners on that track including the hairpin just after the first corner, happened to me multiple times in an endurance race. I tried to get a video of it since it was so ridiculous but the youtube stuff isn't working for me.

I agree with the above posts, it wouldn't be too bad if the AI drivers actually damaged their cars by using such tactics but it's the player who suffers while the AI cars carry on with no damage at all apparently.

I agree with the above posts, it wouldn't be too bad if the AI drivers actually damaged their cars by using such tactics but it's the player who suffers while the AI cars carry on with no damage at all apparently.
They take damage; I've seen a few of them with damaged steering columns or punctures (a Bugatti outright lost its shit and rolled over in a race a few days ago, which was hilarious because it wiped both Ravenwest cars out with it).

They're just very good at dealing with it. If you hit them enough times to damage their steering they do start to struggle to get round certain corners and I've seen them understeer off plenty of times.

Yeh, they definitely take damage, only one has wrecked in a race as you would expect in the street race events, where someone thought it was a great idea to put all the fastest cars at the back on narrow walled tracks, bloody hate it though the A.I do have some spectacular crashes. I'll upload a video of one where they get a tyre blowout and then just go flying :))

I'm racing on Hard in Street only so far and I love the AI in this game. Regardless of what other people are saying about rubber banding and being over aggressive they are the most enjoyable bunch of AI drivers I've played against. I hardly ever have to restart a race due to being spun out or taken out by the AI whereas in Grid 2 I had to use restart a stupid amount of times just to get through the first couple of corners practically every race. Improvements to the handling, user selectable longer race length, reduced collision impacts and the fact that the fastest AI driver doesn't get out in front at the start of the race has probably played a big part in this.

Of course the AI is jerks. They are simply following the race line at a set speed regardless of whats around them. Theres no intelligence involved and its the same whether its very hard or very easy. The only difference between the two is the set speed they are using.
Make a custom cup(single player), switch on racing line and see for yourselves if you dont believe it.
Add that the AI have super cars that dont take damage and is glued to that racing line and you have the jerks we all love to hate.

They take damage; I've seen a few of them with damaged steering columns or punctures (a Bugatti outright lost its shit and rolled over in a race a few days ago, which was hilarious because it wiped both Ravenwest cars out with it).

They're just very good at dealing with it. If you hit them enough times to damage their steering they do start to struggle to get round certain corners and I've seen them understeer off plenty of times.
Yeah I can certainly imagine both the Ravenwest guys falling foul of a trap bringing a smile to your face would me as well. Quite often if I've got one of the better teammates in the game I use them to try to keep RW distracted so they shift their focus away from me when I'm leading.

Here we go:

http://youtu.be/uoANLUfn67U

At the time I wondered what the hell had happened, watched it in the replay and his tyre blows out and the Ravenwest ploughs straight into him :)).

TBH I find the Medium drivers worse than the Hard/V Hard ones. I also find them idiots, but then I'm used to the much better AI from Shift 2 (with mods for the AI).

I have found that bait and switch works well in mid pack if you have an AI with your name on it! Basically line up behind the car in front and duck left or right in the braking zone and either stay level or semi-pass (or totally pass if you can) and the dude behind will just careen into the back of the other AI instead of you.

Just watch out for low level teammates on Attack. They are like unguided missiles!!!