Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[POLL] DiRT Rally - VR Support - Will you use it?

As shown at E3 last week, official Oculus Rift support is on it's way for DiRT Rally.
I was wondering how many of you own a VR headset atm, or are considering getting one in the near future.

Other owned:
  • 1   Oculus Rift DK2
Other soon:
  • 1   PSVR

I have a feeling the VR fans like us do not often come to these forums and there has been a certain degree of hostility to VR in the past here from people who believe it is niche and a waste of resources.  Funny actually for those of us who know how perfect sim racing or rallying is for VR but some ideas die hard.

Hengist said:
Option 6 (specify in comments) further details: PSVR.
Oh right, probably should have added that as an option as well... Forgot about PSVR for a moment.

Sounds awesome, but I doubt I will do it because I'm afraid I'll become motion sick, I get airsick and seasick, so buying a VR will mostlikely make me throw up after an hour of play :lol:

Spokster said:
Sounds awesome, but I doubt I will do it because I'm afraid I'll become motion sick, I get airsick and seasick, so buying a VR will mostlikely make me throw up after an hour of play :lol:
Yeah in hindsight I took quite a bit of a risk, and after the first day I had some regrets because of the headache I had the day after. But I've been playing for 15 hours over the last few days, and except it's quite hot to have it on for a couple of hours I don't have any complaints. 

But all this is different per person, so don't think you can do anything with this information. 

One thing I noticed is that driving backwards feels really strange for some reason.

Spokster said:
Yeah in hindsight I took quite a bit of a risk, and after the first day I had some regrets because of the headache I had the day after. But I've been playing for 15 hours over the last few days, and except it's quite hot to have it on for a couple of hours I don't have any complaints. 

But all this is different per person, so don't think you can do anything with this information. 

One thing I noticed is that driving backwards feels really strange for some reason.
Well I won't be driving backwards in dirt rally much, I'll most likely restart the stage if it comes to it. :tongue:

Beyond my wage packet for the moment, that and I would need a massive gpu upgrade first. :( 

I plan to do a massive upgrade and jump onto the VR bandwagon in the future. But prices need to come down a bit and more games that I really want has to come out before I can justify the cost. Right now I blow all extra cash on HEMA gear and events :-)

Own HTC VIVE. Vr supports rocks in assetto corsa, no doubt it will be as awesome in dirt :D

I own a Oculus Rift CV1. Simracing in VR (if well implemented and setup) is just amazing. 
A game like assetto corsa turns into somthing else when using a VR headset. If something is of game Physics fore example or seating position it is so obvious because the experience is so lifelike in VR youl will notice something is wrong. The flipside is that if everything is setup right its just mindblowing. 

I am really looking forward to Dirt Rally in VR!
I will only buy the game if it has VR support cause I simply dont care for racing on a flat monitor anymore. Just does nothing for me after VR. 
For people who have a bad (racing) experience with VR i encourage you to try it again and use a sim like Assetto Corsa or I hope Dirt Rally in the near future and make sure that everything is setup correctley especially recentering the positional tracking relative to your seating position and steering wheel. If this is off, it all breaks down. 
Make sure IPD is setup correctley aswell and try to do a couple of short sessions to get used to the SDE, Motion Sicness (if there is any) and god rays. Your body/brain will start to filter them out after a couple sessions. 

I'm googeling Dirt Rally VR support every day hoping that the game is patched.
I really hope the VR mode will have:
- an option to change seating position
- an option to change cockpit vibration/movement
- an option to lock vision to horizon or carmovement
- no boundries to movement (like Iracing) as it instantaniously breaks immersion.

Too expensive for me, but I'm definitely in favor of the game having proper support for both headsets for people that have them.

Question for people with VR and wheel. Do you keep the steering wheel visible or turn it off?
Only played Project CARS a lot so far, and I have it visible. In project cars it has the same rotation as your actual wheel. So it looks like it are your arms and steering wheel that are turning.
Since it's al 3D and you can actually focus your eyes at the road, you don't really see the wheel that well, but you notice it, and that really helps the immersion.
I also played a bit of F1 2013, and it felt weird because I saw the wheel turning, but not the same amount as I was doing with my actual wheel. In that case I would probably turn it off, but not sure how that would feel.

I have just completed a 10 lap race against 20 ai at Rouen France in the 1970's Lotus F1 and man is that intense !!!  And a ridiculous amount of fun,  VR is just so awesome compared to a flat screen, even better than 4K on a big screen.  Like mdan said, you gotta get the whole setup correct which isn't really too hard but like anything new you learn as you go.  Regarding motion sickness, that is killer when you feel it and the trick I found is to do short session of like 10 to 15 minutes with long breaks in between over the first 3 or 4 days. It seems to get your brain accustomed to it as it is all to do with the middle ear fluid and the brain/body expecting movement which doesn't occur.  I had a Dk2 for about 18 months and by the time I sold it last October I never felt any dizziness or motion sickness at all.  But now with CV1 I only have had it few weeks and I had to go through the motion sickness again and it actually felt worse but it has now passed after 8 days.  You can take Ginger or any motion sickness tablets and they do help alot but after a few days you no longer need them.  Dirt Rally in VR on the Dk2 was really good once they got the kinks out and the way the cockpit camera worked was really well done and I never felt sick at all,  these guys will nail it absolutely this time around and will be the reason they are taking their time to get it done perfectly before they release it,  no worries about that.  B)

PS. TurboDevin,  mate how did you get F1 2013 working in VR ?  I still have that but never got VR going ... or do you mean with that Vorp program ? I don't have that and no interest to buy it as I think it is well over-priced, but interested to hear your thoughts on how F1 in VR is.  I am hoping F1 2016 will have native VR support as it will be a definite purchase if it has, otherwise I would not play it. Like someone else said, it is impossible to go back to 2D racing after VR, it just feels lifeless unfortunately.

PS. TurboDevin,  mate how did you get F1 2013 working in VR ?  I still have that but never got VR going ... or do you mean with that Vorp program ? I don't have that and no interest to buy it as I think it is well over-priced, but interested to hear your thoughts on how F1 in VR is.  I am hoping F1 2016 will have native VR support as it will be a definite purchase if it has, otherwise I would not play it. Like someone else said, it is impossible to go back to 2D racing after VR, it just feels lifeless unfortunately.
Yeah it was with vorpX, but it didn't work properly. Was 3D, but headtracking wasn't working. I need to spend some time on it to set it up right I think, because it should be possible with opentrack or some program like that. Nothing like official VR supported titles. I haven't played F1 2013 much because I prefer the DiRT and GRID series over it, but if  F1 2016 gets VR support I'll get it, otherwise I'll wait till I've finally completed a single season in F1 2013 and buy the next F1 title that does get VR support.

Btw: Doesn't look like there is much HTC Vive love around here, so good thing Oculus has priority right now, based on the poll results at the moment. Would love to see the HTC Vive supported as well tho.

Got an Oculus DK2 and as long as that works with the new update (which i believe it will as other applications still work with the newest Oculus Runtime) I'll be using it.

Sadly don't have the money for VR and my PC is too weak for that anyway. Maybe someday... *stares into the distance*

After getting used to it, VR is simply the only way to play DR for me. Every attempt with a normal screen just feels laughable. So very much looking forward for the official support, as the new 90fps HMDs are on such a different level compared to DK2.