DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can I repair a tyre after the on-screen message disappears? (PS4)

So usually when I get a puncture I get the on-screen message suggesting I repair it by pressing triangle and lose 1.5 mins or whatever... I usually just carry on but today it happened at the beginning of one of those long stages and the car became undriveable pretty quickly, so I decided it to repair it. I have on-screen messages off now so I don't even get that message. I was down to the rim and I pressed Start to get the menu and all I had there was the option to recover. I thought 'oh maybe when you hit recover from the menu with a puncture, it also repairs the tyre', but no. So how the hell can I do it if I don't do it straight away???

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, but the car must have come to a complete halt before you can replace the wheel. If you already repaired a puncture, you won't be able to do it again until after the next service area, to my knowledge.

So I have to completely stop the car and then that option will be on the menu? (since I have messages off)

That is correct. Get a puncture, stop the car, then bring up the menu.

I don't know whether it works to replace a wheel that was lost in a crash though...

It doesn't replace lost wheels or wheels on the rim in my experience, I think you need to come tom a complete halt to repair a puncture before you lose the tire.

It will repair wheels on the rim, I'm pretty sure of that. And I think its 1 Tyre repair per stage not just per service area but could be wrong with that.

That is correct. Get a puncture, stop the car, then bring up the menu.

I don't know whether it works to replace a wheel that was lost in a crash though...
No, if you lose your complete wheel you cannot repair a puncture, I had that bad luck about 3 days ago in the Polo on one of the daily stages of Finland.

If you rip off the rim completely, you cannot repair it as "fix the puncture".
As long as the rim is still there, whether with a tire or not, puncture is fixable once per stage.

Also, like others mentioned you do have to come to a complete stop. I'm yet to find a person capable of running at over 100km/h sideways while changing a wheel on a car... and to that making sure the rim won't be scratching the tarmac, so naturally lifting up a car that weighs about 1 ton. All at the same time. If someone does know such a person, a lot of rally and F1 teams will be interested xD

As long as the rim is still there, whether with a tire or not, puncture is fixable once per stage.

Also, like others mentioned you do have to come to a complete stop. I'm yet to find a person capable of running at over 100km/h sideways while changing a wheel on a car... and to that making sure the rim won't be scratching the tarmac, so naturally lifting up a car that weighs about 1 ton. All at the same time. If someone does know such a person, a lot of rally and F1 teams will be interested xD
Sure, but it would make as much sense to force you to stop before recovery and that is not the case. It could be that you could equally press to repair the tyre while moving and the penalty time would imply the few seconds it would take you to come to a hault.

pEst410 said:
Sure, but it would make as much sense to force you to stop before recovery and that is not the case. It could be that you could equally press to repair the tyre while moving and the penalty time would imply the few seconds it would take you to come to a hault.
Depending on where you get a puncture, it's better to not repair and get the car to the finish line. Slower, but not 1m 30s slower. And you having to stop to be able to repair it is part of the "authentic experience". DiRT Rally is advertised as an authentic rally simulator, so naturally no such simple stuff will be implemented.

pEst410 said:
Depending on where you get a puncture, it's better to not repair and get the car to the finish line. Slower, but not 1m 30s slower. And you having to stop to be able to repair it is part of the "authentic experience". DiRT Rally is advertised as an authentic rally simulator, so naturally no such simple stuff will be implemented.
The only times when repairing pays off are punctured rear wheels on RWD cars (especially on the 037, they become very hard to drive and in some cases very slow) and a second punctured front tire on any car (when the second one blows off, it's automaticly race over, so if you already have a front puncture and you get another one, fix it ASAP)

Didzis said:
pEst410 said:
The only times when repairing pays off are punctured rear wheels on RWD cars (especially on the 037, they become very hard to drive and in some cases very slow) and a second punctured front tire on any car (when the second one blows off, it's automaticly race over, so if you already have a front puncture and you get another one, fix it ASAP)
Or you're in a League without restarts and got a puncture at the very start of the stage, regardless of the car. Then a puncture fix is reasonable.

Didzis said:
pEst410 said:
Or you're in a League without restarts and got a puncture at the very start of the stage, regardless of the car. Then a puncture fix is reasonable.
If it's a modern 4WD (Grp A, R4, 2000, 2010), you're better off just driving with the puncture. Even with a long stage, you'll probably lose less than the 1m30s time it takes for a repair. 

What @Didzis said.                                                                 

Didzis said:
Didzis said:
pEst410 said:
If it's a modern 4WD (Grp A, R4, 2000, 2010), you're better off just driving with the puncture. Even with a long stage, you'll probably lose less than the 1m30s time it takes for a repair. 
With just a puncture, that's not bad. Problem is, the puncture quickly changes to a pure rim, which results in having to take a lot slower and inevitably you'll spin few times. So... soaking that 1m 30s is sometimes better... rarely, but it can be.

Didzis said:
Didzis said:
pEst410 said:
With just a puncture, that's not bad. Problem is, the puncture quickly changes to a pure rim, which results in having to take a lot slower and inevitably you'll spin few times. So... soaking that 1m 30s is sometimes better... rarely, but it can be.
Well, I was thinking about driving on the rim. In my mind they were the same thinf, because just a puncture doesn't  really last long, if you're going at it. But with modern 4WD's having one wheel on the rim is really not that bad. With 2000's you can barely feel it handling wise, it just decreases your top speed

Didzis said:
Didzis said:
Didzis said:
pEst410 said:
Well, I was thinking about driving on the rim. In my mind they were the same thinf, because just a puncture doesn't  really last long, if you're going at it. But with modern 4WD's having one wheel on the rim is really not that bad. With 2000's you can barely feel it handling wise, it just decreases your top speed
I think we have two different games, because it definitely impacts handling for me massively. When the front tire is gone, the car barely turns in. When rear goes out, slightly bit too much input and you're spinning out. I can imagine it's a lot easier to control with a steering wheel, but going and saying that it barely makes any difference to handling... nope, just no.

Didzis said:
Didzis said:
Didzis said:
pEst410 said:
I think we have two different games, because it definitely impacts handling for me massively. When the front tire is gone, the car barely turns in. When rear goes out, slightly bit too much input and you're spinning out. I can imagine it's a lot easier to control with a steering wheel, but going and saying that it barely makes any difference to handling... nope, just no.
Ok, it depends very much on the car. On some classes the effects are devestating and on others the cars remain pretty drivable. That's why I said modern 4WDs, because on those it's really not that bad if you lose a tire. You can still quite easily get to the end. On Group B on the other hand it's like a struggle for your life. And also, it seems to be a bit easier to drive when losing a front tire compared to losing a rear tire (of course not losing a tire in the first place would be the prefered option).

EDIT:
Ok, did a field test. Ford Focus 2007, Finland Kakaristo stage. Punctured and lost the tire before the end of sector 2. 

I also lost some time while trying to get a puncture. This is against Open. While less consistent, the Focus is still drivable and didn't really want to spin out

Did another run, Evo in Germany. Managed to get a puncture at the very beginning without losing too much time.

With the puncture (rear, forgot which side):

Control run without a puncture:

Here that's just under 40 second difference