Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirtgame is up

Heading says it all.

Thank you Codies IT guy, whoever you are.

And down again.                                                                       

So it's not just me.... Sucks because I setup a league and it ends today...LOL

So CM... Are you guys still working on it?

I'm in...but, none of my statistics show up!

0 miles, 0 events, etc., I do hope they're not all lost.

No, it's not.                                                                            

The most annoying thing with this is not so much Racenet is down is the fact no one can be bothered giving any information as to what is happening.The vast majority of data centers work 24/7 so if its a hardware issue, at the data center end this can be addressed quickly by sending in a support ticket by the admins at Codemasters. Secondly if its a issue that requires involvement oF the IT department at codemasters all these systems work on remote access so having to be at work is not a requirement just the login details of the server.
If the issue is nobody works weekends and where no prepared to relinquish any of our private time then just say so it saves the users of the service the necessity to constantly keep trying to see if its been fixed or not.
They have many ways to communicate, Twitter, facebook and the forums, a simple nothing is going to happen till Monday would suffice, then at least we can all forget about it till then.
Its far from life ending the service not working, but simple correct customer relations is not to much to be expected and this wall of silence only annoys and frustrates long term users.

Just did a bit more checking it looks like there services are hosted with Leaseweb based in the Netherlands, who definitely have 24/7 support.

cjl9 said:
I'm in...but, none of my statistics show up!

0 miles, 0 events, etc., I do hope they're not all lost.
Same with me. It used to show my steam nickname when I log in, but now it shows my forum name and 0 stats

been down for around 2 days now? seriously, this is not nice, especially in the weekend. at least have someone on maintenance duty :/

jinCHEZ said:
been down for around 2 days now? seriously, this is not nice, especially in the weekend. at least have someone on maintenance duty :/
Yeah, the timing is rather unfortunate: I planned to do the second weekly and the monthly this weekend!

Well, it's the case with basically every bigger developer. They have working hours from Monday to Friday, so when an issue appears late Friday, it won't be addressed till Monday... at best.

I'm used to it honestly, not really surprised. It is unfortunate this happened on a weekend and that there isn't anyone capable of fixing this issue "on watch", but flaming and blaming them for this won't solve anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the downtime happened due to a DDoS attack. It's not uncommon nowadays.

Who would want to initiate a DDOS attack on Codies? And why?

cjl9 said:
Who would want to initiate a DDOS attack on Codies? And why?
Stealing data, main reason. Account details, maybe even some details about security, many things can be gotten through that. If someone wastes their time into making trainers for DiRT Rally, there sure is someone out there who has a "reason" to launch a DDoS attack.
That said, it's obviously not 100% sure, just some speculation. It can be as well just a hardware malfunction and servers simply went haywire with all the data. Everything is possible, would be nice to know what was the actual reason for the downtime. I sure hope I'm wrong with the DDoS one though...

@RyuMakkuro, this is definitely not a DDoS attack (Distributed Denial of Service). A DDoS takes the target site down as it is flooded with requests. DiRTGame.com is not down. Second, a DDoS attack is not for hacking. You cannot hack a site by just blasting it with millions of hits from different webservers.

That said, I will paste what I wrote in another forum what I believe is happening here:

This has nothing to do with the update and goes way beyond what a patch could cause. The official website is having problems. The homepage shows all stats at zero. The Events page is empty, and the Leagues page throws a 500 error. 500 internal server errors are generally serious breakdowns. Sometimes they can be fixed by a server reboot, and sometimes they can be caused by catastrophic data loss. In between would be maybe a hanging server, or a coding error that causes the webserver to fail to interpret what we are requesting from it through our browsers. I suspect there is something wrong with the RaceNet database. The DB is where all our times, results and stats are stored, so when the official site is showing all stats at zero it is definitely not good news. It might just be a networking hiccup between the webserver and the database, or could be as bad as a catastrophic loss of data in the DB, or somewhere in between.

If the issue means that all our stats are wiped out, I am quite sure that Codies would have a backup of everything. Personally, on every web site or application I design, I run automatic backups every 24 hours of webserver files as well as database tables. If I were running RaceNet I would ensure that those backups were being taken every five minutes at the very least.

Let's hope that they can get it sorted soon.

BTW, as kind of a prelude to this outage, my second league event finished late Thursday night. Friday morning, just before the problems started, I noticed that no-one was awarded points for finishing. The results were logged, but the championship standings were not updated. I suspect that the breakdown was already underway at that point.

Yes, on the occasions I've got into RaceNet all my stats are gone.

Still, it's not the end of the world if I have to start again from scratch.

I love the game.

Seems to be working for me too

Time left to complete the monthly is 10 characters too short.

Might be an idea to employ some weekend staff eh Codemasters. 

Ok site is up again but league still not updated the score from the event that ended last friday in our league.
Any fix for this comming??

Hi all, we're really sorry for this inconvenience - we know it was a massive pain, but unfortunately there wasn't the resource around to fix it until this morning. What's happened has definitely prompted a review of how we approach out-of-hours support though - so the silver lining is that off the back of this, we're hoping to be a lot more prepared in dealing with something similar in the future.

We'll also be re-running the PPIHC Special Event from this weekend too - with increased event rewards - as a second chance and as a sorry for what's gone on. More on that soon, but again - we're really sorry for what happened this weekend.