DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Explain the different surfaces at Pikes Peak

So as I understand it, it used to be gravel and then they made it asphalt but... why the different gravel surfaces? One is harder and darker, the other is almost like sand...

the gravel surface was always inconsistent due to several factors

> the road was shaved into the mountain, which is composed of granite bedrock, and decomposed granite, ... so the base varied from the loosest sand & gravel, to sections as hard as, .... um, granite.
> during practice week, spinning tires on the more 'solid' parts of the road would blacken the surface, they 'rubber in' as a racing circuit does. most of the gravel is reddish from the predominantly red granite in this region.
> weather, auto traffic, and erosion, all push loose gravel off the roadside, so millions of tons of gravel were continually trucked up the road to resurface it, and so it was always changing. this overwhelming intrusion of gravel is what was killing the mountain, and the reason it had to be made tarmac.

> i have lived here, and driven this road, and photographed the hill climb for over 40 years .... the level of faithfulness to the appearance of the 'three' different versions of the road surface is brilliant.

OK, but that would explain some parts being one way and other parts being another... What we have in the game is the WHOLE circuit being sandy or the WHOLE circuit being darker. No?

Or is it like, one year you'd have a certain type of darker gravel, then they'd resurface the whole thing with that sandy one (for example)...?

pEst410 said:
What we have in the game is the WHOLE circuit being sandy or the WHOLE circuit being darker. No?
Wait, wut? Could you show a screenshot of what you mean? Asking, since I have a sneaky suspicion you're mistaking tarmac for gravel on the Mixed version. Sorry if it seems offensive, just seen enough... strange things that I just prefer to make sure nowadays.

yeah, i'm not sure what his confusion is rooted in ... there are only three versions of the road in the game, and there's weather, we are all looking at the same thing ... not sure what pest410's question is, anymore

Yeah, I hadn't noticed this until I did the season in Elite this week... Here's what I got:

Event 1: that reddish/brown hard gravel, first a section of the circuit, then the full circuit
Event 2: a section with a light, dusty and very soft gravel. The difference could be felt clearly in the force feedback and in the handling. This was so different from the above that I needed another setup! After this, I got the full circuit... but with the same darker gravel as in Event 1! I did the first go with my new setup and it wasn't great. Then I went back to the setup from Event 1 and did much better.
Event 3: Asphalt, first a section, then the whole circuit.

It will be a while until I do hillclimb again so sorry, no screenshots soon I think... :(

That crossed my mind, however handling really was different, no doubt about that. As soon as I got to the first corner with the same setup and tried to turn I was like woah what's going on. It felt like driving on sand, or with very soft springs, much heavier to turn and harder to shift the weight around. This continued throughout so I needed another setup. FFB also felt less 'stoney' than on the darker gravel, and generally softer... Maybe I'm going mad but the setup thing confirms this: I could barely turn with the previous event setup, needed another one for the soft gravel, and then when on the next stage it was harder again the soft setup felt wrong, while the initial setup worked fine again.  

pEst410 said:
That crossed my mind, however handling really was different, no doubt about that.
Well, if it's raining then naturally handling will be affected -_-

Also, the game lately has some handling shenanigans going around. Well, I say lately, it's been going for a patch or two.

Though honestly, unless you'll provide screenshots of what you exactly mean, it will be hard to tell anything. Since you don't mention which version of Pikes Peak you're running (gravel, mixed, tarmac), just some sections that have no meaning to them whatsoever.