Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Austrian Grand Prix

YODELAYHEEHOOO

I really hope it rains on Sunday, the rain being in different parts of the circuit makes everything 10x better.

MBKF1 said:
YODELAYHEEHOOO

I really hope it rains on Sunday, the rain being in different parts of the circuit makes everything 10x better.
Not when the race is red flagged/behind the safety car...

I want a damp start like Hungary a few years go. We're yet to have one with these new start rules.

huehue                                                                                            

Someone said this on Reddit but it's completely true, the marketing team at Red Bull is the best in the business. Red Bull have got to that stage where they're so big now they can afford to make logos smaller for example and remove certain key parts of their brand in favour of something like this. It's awesome.

Also you think of all the demo runs they have done over the years. They really are pushing the boundaries of where you can take a Formula 1 car, and no other team dares go there. Red Bull must do something like 90% of all F1 show runs.

Even if you're not a fan of them, you can't deny they have only been a good thing in terms of promoting Formula 1. The sport needs another company like them.

Red Bull have always know how to market whatever ridiculous thing they sponsor. Whether it be F1, the air races, moto, rally, that nut job that jumped out of a spaceship, or cliff diving. 

In F1 they have become one of the most important teams. It's kinda crazy how much they've done in such a short time. 

It's why I opposed opinions that stated that Red Bull leaving F1 isn't a big deal as they are "only a sports drink company". Their contribution to F1 is massive and their presence in motorsport is massive. They're probably the most important team in/to F1 after Ferrari.

Too bad that the brashness that's synonym to what Red Bull is all about, can also mean that they can be very arrogant and condescending. But I guess it also means they're not boring.

Suspension failures are always scary. Could make the grid a bit more interesting though.

Why does Croft add a F to the start of Vettel's name, really gets on my nerves  :#

This is getting ridiculous now, yes he went wide but this is flat out dangerous. Penalise the drivers yes, but don't try and kill them! 

Imagine if we have a Indianapolis  2005 scenario :joy: although I doubt it. 

Just when you think it might be someone different on pole, Hamilton gets it by like 1 second... :/ 

What a Q3!

But let's reflect briefly on the fact that most of the excitement in F1 over the past few seasons has come from weather changes and/or freak accidents/failures.

Fun qualifying but tomorrow's race is going to be awful with Hamilton unopposed for the win. Guess the story will be how fast Rosberg and Vettel get to the front, and how fast Button falls to the back.

The new kerbs are dumb. Not really good for the viewers or driver safety when they're launched in to a high speed accident for going a car width too wide, in most cases unintentionally. 

Great quali even if it's still a Merc on pole. I don't think Hulk can challenge for a win but he can defend for his podium... Or take Hamilton out a Button wins (lawls). 

Im torn on the curbs. You have to define the track limits and drivers shouldn't abuse them. If it was a guardrail or wall the drivers wouldn't drive into it or complain when they hit it.  But at the same time the curb shouldn't cause serious accidents.

It's an easy solution in quali to just not count lap times if the drivers go off. But that won't work in a race. This could be really dangerous tomorrow. 

Hughesy said:
Why does Croft add a F to the start of Vettel's name, really gets on my nerves  :#
It's the correct German pronunciation, he's always done it.

Great qualy, I really hope that Hulk can (finally) get a podium tomorrow. If he can't then he never will.

There's been a few more penalties for failing to slow under yellows in Q1 so this is the grid for tomorrow:
  1. Lewis Hamilton
  2. Nico Hulkenberg
  3. Jenson Button
  4. Kimi Raikkonen
  5. Daniel Ricciardo
  6. Nico Roberg (5+, Gearbox)
  7. Valtteri Bottas
  8. Max Verstappen
  9. Sebastian Vettel (+5, Gearbox)
  10. Felipe Massa
  11. Esteban Gutierrez
  12. Pascal Wehrlein
  13. Romain Grosjean
  14. Fernando Alonso
  15. Carlos Sainz
  16. Sergio Perez
  17. Kevin Magnussen
  18. DaniilKvyat
  19. Marcus Ericsson
  20. Jolyon Palmer (+3, Ignoring yellow flags)
  21. Rio Haryanto (+3, Ignoring yellow flags)
  22. Felipe Nasr (+3, Ignoring yellow flags)
Rosberg starts sixth due to some stupid way the penalties are applied.

Johnny Herbert asking the most ridiculous questions as usual on the track parade. I'm fed up of his useless input to the Sky coverage, his 'expert analysis' is never insightful in the slightest and very predictable, he says 'sort of' ALL THE TIME as a means of stuttering, but Sky won't get rid of him as they don't have the balls to do it.

That Sky segment at Red Bull HQ was pretty weak. Needed more time, should have asked more than 2 questions and could have shown off more about the HQ. Disappointed they messed up that opportunity.

MBKF1 said:
Johnny Herbert asking the most ridiculous questions as usual on the track parade. I'm fed up of his useless input to the Sky coverage, his 'expert analysis' is never insightful in the slightest and very predictable, he says 'sort of' ALL THE TIME as a means of stuttering, but Sky won't get rid of him as they don't have the balls to do it.
Herbert should probably retire, and if that's the case I have a great retirement plan he may want to consider - involving a 12 gauge and a wooden cooking spoon.

Platy said:
That Sky segment at Red Bull HQ was pretty weak. Needed more time, should have asked more than 2 questions and could have shown off more about the HQ. Disappointed they messed up that opportunity.

I agree,  just a thought but maybe they weren't given permission to show more than they did. 

Right then, how many places will Lewis lose at the start because he can't control a clutch?