Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Austrian Grand Prix

Jiggy said:
Wehrlein got 10th, I thought the Mex was being ironic, what the hell happened?
Rewatch the last lap, Wehrlein passes Guttierez into turn 4 or 5 on the last lap just after Hamilton laps them.

That was an epic race and I didn't think Hamilton would do it. Rosberg deserves penalty points for that though and he needs to remember his contract is up at the end of the year...

Or the 2011 and 2013 seasons. ;)

Hamilton and Rosberg weren't competing for the titles then, so it's kind of irrelevant to what I said. But yes, indeed. 

With Jack Nicholls being in London for the Formula E finale, Tom Clarkson was lead commentator for BBC radio and it turns out he's actually pretty good!
https://twitter.com/allanmcnish/status/749612976760643584?lang=en-gb

Will Buxton's pre and after race-coverage is just out of this world. He makes Ted Kravitz look lame in comparison.

10 second time penalty for causing a collision (which doesn't change the order) and a reprimand for driving with the broken front wing. What a farce.

The fact he tried to blame Lewis though, what an absolute prick https://twitter.com/charlie_whiting/status/749642307901743105?s=09

Hard to believe that some people are blaming Lewis for this incident. Not only was it clearly Rosberg's fault, but the punishment was way too soft.
Race hard, but fair. This was anything but fair. And the best part? Rosberg still claims it wasn't his fault.

And another thing: Those ridiculous Pirelli tyres. Yes, they were old, yes Ferrari took a bit of a gamble. But they should not go from decent pace to exploding on the main straight. What does it take for the F1 in its entirety to rethink their tyre approach? Injury? Death? 'Cos we got pretty damn close to injury last year in Spa. Imagine what would have happened if Seb's or Nico's tyres exploded in the middle of Eau Rouge.

Good race mostly. Was nice to see there was actually a fight for the win. Not sure what Rosberg did that for, he didn't really need to. And if he was gonna hit Lewis, He really should have hit him. It was like he tried to pull a Senna but couldn't pull it off. I could at least respect and justify Rosberg if he actually took them both out. Really I just hate them both. 

It's really starting to physically hurt being a Ferrari fan. I agree the tires shouldn't go from competitive to exploding, but that doesn't excuse Ferrari's strategy. At least Kimi got the podium. But I remember when it was fun to be a Ferrari fan, everything was "stacked" against us and we cheated engineered our way to victory. Now watching Ferrari is like watching a bad comedy. 

Hughesy said:
Might be a penalty for Hamilton for rejoining like that?

For rejoining like what? He got rammed off the road for God sake, it's all on Rosberg... 
I agree that whole incident was entirely Rosberg's fault. In a sense I'm glad he got punished for it both by the stewards and by his car as that was unneccesary even I'd have turned into the corner before that point he clearly moved off the racing line to trip Hamilton up

VetteIfan said:
After hearing that Rosberg had brake by wire issues on the last lap, I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. But he's now basically just blamed Lewis for the entire thing. So clearly reliability worries weren't that much of an issue. To be fair I can see what he was trying to do, if they'd touched tyre to tyre it would've been great defense, but Lewis decided he wasn't going to get driven off the track. Something Nico could learn a lesson from. 

Great entertainment though. Whilst they may be two of the most unlikeable drivers to ever compete for a title, this is x1000 better than any part of the previous two years title "battles". 
Yeah it's almost becoming a lot like Prost and Senna I can see Mercedes giving one of them the boot if this keeps happening though.

This sums up Rosberg stupidity https://twitter.com/novus_discipula/status/749643403416203265?s=09

Will Buxton's pre and after race-coverage is just out of this world. He makes Ted Kravitz look lame in comparison.
Marcus Ericsson reading me bedtime stories while I'm watching the entire race from Jolyon Palmer's onboard view makes Ted Kravitz look lame in comparison.

Hard to believe that some people are blaming Lewis for this incident. Not only was it clearly Rosberg's fault, but the punishment was way too soft.
Race hard, but fair. This was anything but fair. And the best part? Rosberg still claims it wasn't his fault.

And another thing: Those ridiculous Pirelli tyres. Yes, they were old, yes Ferrari took a bit of a gamble. But they should not go from decent pace to exploding on the main straight. What does it take for the F1 in its entirety to rethink their tyre approach? Injury? Death? 'Cos we got pretty damn close to injury last year in Spa. Imagine what would have happened if Seb's or Nico's tyres exploded in the middle of Eau Rouge.
Ferrari took a gamble on tyres it didn't pay off. 26 laps + whatever he did in quali....

(P.S. Yes I am still alive)

Juice29 said:

Ferrari took a gamble on tyres it didn't pay off. 26 laps + whatever he did in quali....

(P.S. Yes I am still alive)
True, but tyres should not explode like that. Even more so without any warning. The telemetry looked normal and the lap times were decent.

But seeing as it is a Pirelli tyre, I bet it was the fault of a random curb and/or some mysterious debris. Kinda like in Spa 2015.

Well well what a race! You've all said it already, but clearly Rosberg's fault, no denying that, so I'm happy it ended up with him on the podium. Was it Martin Brundle who said this in commentary, something like Hamilton needed to finish 1st for his championship, but Rosberg could have settled for 2nd. True words, Rosberg chucked away a solid 2nd place by driving into him.

Can I just talk about Ted 'Hamilton' Kravitz for a moment though. Don't get me wrong, I think Ted is a superb F1 broadcaster. His notebooks are fantastic, and his knowledge of the sport is immense, but he was awful yesterday.

He asked Toto something like 'did you feel a moral obligation to let Lewis win' after he was on the wrong strategy. What a ridiculous question. Mercedes don't care who wins, as long as they're 1st and 2nd. I'm glad Toto said to him 'no Ted, you're completely wrong', it put him in his place.

Also, please please please Sky can you feature Ant Davidson more on the show. Once again, his analysis of incidents is top quality. He can notice things hardly anyone else can. For example, in Spain he was the first person to notice Rosberg's engine mode switch which contributed to the incident. No one else did, and that turned out to be exactly the reason for the clash. Also on Friday when Vettel spun, he noticed a tiny red light on the steering wheel and wondered whether it had anything to do with it, and I'm pretty sure it did. It's this eye for detail which makes him so good, and he communicates this technical complexity so clearly to the viewers. Along with Brundle, I think he's the best part about the Sky coverage. Without those two the last couple of weekends, their coverage was notably poor, so it was great to have them both back.

Compare that to Channel 4's coverage. It's got a little natural bias towards Hamilton which is totally fine because it's dignified and it's fair. Promote the fellow Brit, go for it. Sky just go so ridiculously over the top with it.

Bill Burr's started talking about F1 recently. It's amazing.

https://soundcloud.com/themonday-morning-podcast/monday-morning-podcast-7-4-16

Skip to 23:15, and mind some NSFW stuff.

Mexicola said:

"But this c*nt keeps driving his car!"

I'm howling over here :D

Mexicola said:

Yeeesss, saw this earlier on Reddit, absolutely fantastic!

I quite liked 'fin fin things' in reference to front wings, we should start calling them that now. Also 'Hey f***heads, you're on the same team, how about you don't knock each other out of the race?'  :D

Bill Burr's up there with Hicks, Carlin, Louis CK and Frankie Boyle as my favourite comedians, his stuff is incredible and the fact that he talks about F1 now has made me even happier.

That was awesome, sat in a cafe listening to it with headphones, the cafe is quiet and there's me pissing myself laughing :joy: 

It's even more funny because you know that underneath the banter, he's still having salty nightmares of what happened in Adelaide.