Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 British Grand Prix

Loved it when Mark Webber tried to spin the cheers for Rosberg when they were cheering for Verstappen, brilliant.

MBKF1 said:
The track limits situation is really confusing. For your average F1 fan, it's so hard to follow, and even to me I can't get my head around why particular corners have the limits in place but others don't. They vary from track to track too, it's silly.

In my opinion, if you go all 4 wheels outside the white lines, at any part of the circuit, no matter if you gain or lose time, then your Qualifying time should be deleted, at any circuit on the calendar. Yes, it might be tough luck now and then and it could affect results, but at least everyone will know the rules and the drivers can only blame themselves for going off track. The only exception for times not being deleted would be if a driver has clearly lost a lot of time (i.e. more than 2 seconds or so).

It was so confusing with Magnussen earlier as it was shown he clearly went off track but had no times deleted, but when Hamilton did in Q3, he did have a time deleted. Silly really, I just think the white line rules should apply everywhere.

I agree but I think it's mosly corners which aer potentially less punishing and ones where you might be seeing to get an advantage at least that's how I generally see it anyway. I agree it's tricky to judge though.

Hughesy said:
These rules are stupid, when there's a clear fault they should be able to tell the driver how to fix it. They go on about safety, yet they think it's fine to look at the wheel trying to fix an issue at 200mph.

Yeah I tdepends on whether they can prove he had an issue though but it sounded like he did to me so I'd let that one slide but we'll have to wait and see if it's allowed to stand.

Got to say that was a good race enjoyed that one.
Really? I thought it was the worst British GP in years. The grandstand at Abbey probably had a good time, but other than that it was quite processional bar a few DRS overtakes. 

"Glad to hear that there's no booing here, really shows the spirit of the fans here."
"And now on to Nico Rosberg."
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

True spirit.

VetteIfan said:
Got to say that was a good race enjoyed that one.
Really? I thought it was the worst British GP in years. The grandstand at Abbey probably had a good time, but other than that it was quite processional bar a few DRS overtakes. 
What I meant was it was one of the more entertaining races I've seen this year in that there were plenty of battles going on and people slipping and sliding due to the  conditions being tricky to handle.

I thought it was a good race, 2nd and 3rd was close the whole race, and then close battles further back. There wasn't loads of overtakes, but the racing was good. 

Was anyone else at Club in the GA area when there was a medical emergency? They had an ambulance there and everything, was not long before the race :(

Hopefully they were ok in the end, didn't sound good though.

Hughesy said:
I thought it was a good race, 2nd and 3rd was close the whole race, and then close battles further back. There wasn't loads of overtakes, but the racing was good. 
yeah there wasn't much overtaking but there was plenty of kind of ducking and diving moments. Can we get them can we not thoughts going through some of the drivers heads I think. Luckily Silverstone provides quite a few interesting races anyway. With the slippery nature of the track today due to the weather that kind of had them walking a tightrope or 2 in places as well.

I get that the communication is illegal. There really shouldn't be much of a question on that. But how can they penalize a driver for it? The driver can't control what the team tell him. I get that Rosberg asked, and the team answered. But suppose Rosberg didn't ask, how is it his fault that the team tell him illegal communications? What was he suppose to do stick his fingers in his ears saying "nah nah nah I can't hear you"? 

It's already a silly rule with a lot of grey area, I don't know why penalization has to be so silly too.

This whole jazz about team orders is getting ridiculous. Just drop the damn rule altogether. It never worked, it never will work properly.
Best proof, today's incident. Or how about the one time Fernando was faster than Felipe.

Alright race but Charlie Whiting, leave now. I know you have a care of duty to the drivers and if there are puddles on track then I can kinda understand the need for a SC start. Why on earth was it for so long though? Even Ericsson at the back said it was clear two laps before the car came in, utterly ridiculous.

So Hamilton is only 1 point behind now, still at a huge disadvantage due to the number of components used. 

I mentioned this on Twitter, and I'll mention it here: for once NASCAR has done something right...and that's the use of the Air Titan. I'm not suggesting it be used to dry the F1 tracks completely, that's no fun. But they could easily run before the race starts to remove excess/standing water that would otherwise require a SC start.

Just saying...see links below for more details.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/nascar-nation/nascar-edu/mobil1-technology-hub/nascar-mobil1-technology-air-titan-drying-system.html

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/_/page/NASCAR-Track-Drying-Sweeper

Holy ****, how'd the Americans get a delivery truck to do 568mph?!

;)
'Merica!

But seriously, all they would need is one truck at tracks with potential for rain (or every race for that matter to be safe) and we wouldn't be in these situations.

The Titan dryers are cool and they make sense in NASCAR. And they would certainly solve the having to start behind the safety car issue. 

The problem with today was that they could have started the race without the safety car. If the first thing the drivers do is put for inters, there's no point in having the full wets. And if the conditions were fine to use inters, then there's no reason to start behind the safety car. 

The Titan dryers are cool and they make sense in NASCAR. And they would certainly solve the having to start behind the safety car issue. 

The problem with today was that they could have started the race without the safety car. If the first thing the drivers do is put for inters, there's no point in having the full wets. And if the conditions were fine to use inters, then there's no reason to start behind the safety car. 
I'm only suggesting it be used to ensure proper race starts and/or to hurry up if there are red flag conditions. In no way do I want this to allow them to skip straight to inters...definitely still want full wets.

Or they could just race in the wet considering they have the tyres to do it, which was proved as they went straight on to inters. 

It's a neat piece of kit but it's still going down the road of discouraging wet weather racing, and knowing the FIA that's exactly what they'll use it for. I still like my idea, which is lynching Charlie Whiting and his cronies.

F1 should get rid of these stupid rules, what would have happen if they didn't tell him that the car may have a damaged part? FOM would rather have a car break down on the track and cause a accident. There has been a few incidents that a car has suddenly slowed down and another car has crashed into it.
They should just ban radio communications all together and go back to a era without them and use pit boards to relay infomation to the driver.

I do not agree at all with that track dryer. These are supposed to be the best drivers in the world, they are capable of driving in the wet. If the tyres aren't good enough to handle it then we need a new tyre supplier.

I would like to ask one question though. If the rain came later in the race, would the safety car have come out with the track as dry as it was after 4 laps? I don't think it would.

I get that the communication is illegal. There really shouldn't be much of a question on that. But how can they penalize a driver for it? The driver can't control what the team tell him. I get that Rosberg asked, and the team answered. But suppose Rosberg didn't ask, how is it his fault that the team tell him illegal communications? What was he suppose to do stick his fingers in his ears saying "nah nah nah I can't hear you"? 

It's already a silly rule with a lot of grey area, I don't know why penalization has to be so silly too.
Same way they can penalize a driver for unsafe release.