Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 British Grand Prix

Jiggy said:
I get that the communication is illegal. There really shouldn't be much of a question on that. But how can they penalize a driver for it? The driver can't control what the team tell him. I get that Rosberg asked, and the team answered. But suppose Rosberg didn't ask, how is it his fault that the team tell him illegal communications? What was he suppose to do stick his fingers in his ears saying "nah nah nah I can't hear you"? 

It's already a silly rule with a lot of grey area, I don't know why penalization has to be so silly too.
Same way they can penalize a driver for unsafe release.
Only sort of, The driver still has control and a responsibility to leave the pits safely. The driver still has mirrors and should be watching if it is in fact safe to leave the pits regardless of what the team say. Plus that's a driving related penalty. 

The radio communication penalty is completely out of the control of the driver. He could be driving along minding his on business and the team could say "avoid 7th gear" and he'd be penalized. They didn't punish Alonso when Ferrari told Massa to get out of the way, they punished Ferrari. How is this any different?

Jiggy said:
I get that the communication is illegal. There really shouldn't be much of a question on that. But how can they penalize a driver for it? The driver can't control what the team tell him. I get that Rosberg asked, and the team answered. But suppose Rosberg didn't ask, how is it his fault that the team tell him illegal communications? What was he suppose to do stick his fingers in his ears saying "nah nah nah I can't hear you"? 

It's already a silly rule with a lot of grey area, I don't know why penalization has to be so silly too.
Only sort of, The driver still has control and a responsibility to leave the pits safely. The driver still has mirrors and should be watching if it is in fact safe to leave the pits regardless of what the team say. Plus that's a driving related penalty. 

The radio communication penalty is completely out of the control of the driver. He could be driving along minding his on business and the team could say "avoid 7th gear" and he'd be penalized. They didn't punish Alonso when Ferrari told Massa to get out of the way, they punished Ferrari. How is this any different?
The driver realistically has no way to take a look with so many people around his car to spot a different car and is fully reliant on either the lollipop-man or the green light-system. Also, when they're fitting on tyres, the driver has no way of knowing all four of his tyres are fitted on correctly. That's completely out of his hands. You're still going to get a penalty for it. It doesn't really matter if it's driving related or not.

The Alonso-Massa situation only "hurt" Ferrari because the FIA basically admitted the team-order ruling was flawed and gave Ferrari the fine to somewhat save face. The result itself was in danger of being changed with both drivers disqualified, so there was at least a risk.

In this situation, team radio is being used to give a driver an unfair advantage. Same way if your car has somehow exceeded regulations or doesn't have enough fuel, that's not something the driver necessarily does, but he has gained an unfair advantage because of it and is getting punished for it. Same with this team-radio. Rosberg gained an unfair advantage. Therefore he should be punished. Doesn't matter what part he actually played in gaining that advantage in this particular situation.

Jiggy said:
Jiggy said:

The driver realistically has no way to take a look with so many people around his car to spot a different car and is fully reliant on either the lollipop-man or the green light-system. Also, when they're fitting on tyres, the driver has no way of knowing all four of his tyres are fitted on correctly. That's completely out of his hands. You're still going to get a penalty for it. It doesn't really matter if it's driving related or not.

The Alonso-Massa situation only "hurt" Ferrari because the FIA basically admitted the team-order ruling was flawed and gave Ferrari the fine to somewhat save face. The result itself was in danger of being changed with both drivers disqualified, so there was at least a risk.

In this situation, team radio is being used to give a driver an unfair advantage. Same way if your car has somehow exceeded regulations or doesn't have enough fuel, that's not something the driver necessarily does, but he has gained an unfair advantage because of it and is getting punished for it. Same with this team-radio. Rosberg gained an unfair advantage. Therefore he should be punished. Doesn't matter what part he actually played in gaining that advantage in this particular situation.
I see what you're saying about leaving the pits, but it is still the driver in control, the fact that he is dependent on the team doesn't negate that control and responsibility. 

As for your Ferrari point, what they threatened to punish Ferrari with is of no consequence, what they actually did was fine the team. The FIA are basically trying to save face here too by punishing Rosberg after they kept saying they have to crack down on radio communications. But fair enough.

I think we have to disagree that fixing a fixable fault on the car, or telling the driver what the fault is, creates an "unfair" advantage the same way building an illegal car would. Maybe it's an advantage, but idk how it's unfair. It's only restoring the car to its predetermined advantage, and if the fault can't be fixed by the driver you could argue no advantage was even gained by knowing. 

it was an epic Grand Prix for sure and I'm glad Lewis was able to please his home crowd with a massive victory. Let's hope he continues this trend, cause as it stands, Codemasters have him leading the F1 charge on their game box for is season.

it was an epic Grand Prix for sure and I'm glad Lewis was able to please his home crowd with a massive victory. Let's hope he continues this trend, cause as it stands, Codemasters have him leading the F1 charge on their game box for is season.
I wasn't very pleased with his win, and I was in his home crowd ;) :p