Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014: Advanced Weather Model

Hey everyone,
Wanted to talk about my idea for an advanced weather model for the upcoming F1 2014 game.

Advanced Weather
So, perhaps having a little computer on the left whilst your sitting in the cockpit, you can click on and see advanced weather. For example: Humidity levels, Wind Speeds and Directions, Chance of rain, e.t.c. Being a little optimistic, maybe even a weather radar showing where the rain is around the circuit.

Humidity Levels
Having Humidity levels (% as the measuring tool), affects how fast the track dries. For example, in Singapore the humidity levels are very high so if it were to stop raining, the track would dry very slowly, and the opposite for if the humidity levels are low.

Sector by Sector Weather
In F1 2014, I'd like to see a slightly bigger emphasise on the amount of water that is on per sector. In F1 2013, the amount of water on the circuit is generally the same all around the circuit. Having an almost dry sector 3, and wet sector 1 for instance - would spice up the strategy, having a debate on whether to put the dry or the wet tyre on.

Circuit Temperatures
So, in the practise session, maybe cooler temperatures in relation to the qualifying and race temperatures, and the circuit temperatures varying when the sun is out, or it's overcast - and that having an overall effect on the temperature on the tyres. For instance, Monaco Practise - the tyres don't get temperature in them. Also having a thermal camera just like in real life, would also be stepping up a notch on the replay cameras.

That's all I can think of, if anyone comes up with any new ideas related to the weather, please tell me and I'll add it in.

Thanks, 
xSilverArrow

Hey everyone,
Wanted to talk about my idea for an advanced weather model for the upcoming F1 2014 game.

Advanced Weather
So, perhaps having a little computer on the left whilst your sitting in the cockpit, you can click on and see advanced weather. For example: Humidity levels, Wind Speeds and Directions, Chance of rain, e.t.c. Being a little optimistic, maybe even a weather radar showing where the rain is around the circuit.

Humidity Levels
Having Humidity levels (% as the measuring tool), affects how fast the track dries. For example, in Singapore the humidity levels are very high so if it were to stop raining, the track would dry very slowly, and the opposite for if the humidity levels are low.

Sector by Sector Weather
In F1 2014, I'd like to see a slightly bigger emphasise on the amount of water that is on per sector. In F1 2013, the amount of water on the circuit is generally the same all around the circuit. Having an almost dry sector 3, and wet sector 1 for instance - would spice up the strategy, having a debate on whether to put the dry or the wet tyre on.

Circuit Temperatures
So, in the practise session, maybe cooler temperatures in relation to the qualifying and race temperatures, and the circuit temperatures varying when the sun is out, or it's overcast - and that having an overall effect on the temperature on the tyres. For instance, Monaco Practise - the tyres don't get temperature in them. Also having a thermal camera just like in real life, would also be stepping up a notch on the replay cameras.

That's all I can think of, if anyone comes up with any new ideas related to the weather, please tell me and I'll add it in.

Thanks, 
xSilverArrow

Do they not have sector by sector weather already? I've found some parts of the track to be wet while others are wet.

I would like to see more dynamic weather changes. At moment it seems like any change in weather will be a min of 20-30mins making showers that pass over quickly impossible. This might make 100% races interesting but means there is no point having it in a 25% race for example. Chances are it will remain the same all the way through or within in the last couple of laps. Also career weather is terrible. Its a pre made loop which it picks a point on randomly. Terrible way of doing it. I have played around with values in the database and have had some great races. Remember a 25% race where there was 3 light showers that lasted 5 mins throughout the race. But as I said it doesn't work in career mode.

Good post, however probably a step too far towards "geekdom" for a CM game.

What I'd like to see -

1) Some live cameras spread around the track whilst you sit in the pits, so you can see how wet it is out there. That could just be put in a window top right and either toggle through the cameras automatically on timer or L1/L2 to move back & forth.

2) The word "random" springs to mind - all seems a bit contrived/been here before. As above, nothing sudden happens - all very slowmo. Understand why though, CM are trying to make the weather "fair play to all", but would prefer it to be a bit unfair like it is in real life but with good information from pitlane about tyre temps etc.

3) "Outlook" to accompany "percent chance of rain" - then percent chance of rain could actually mean just that.

4) Ability to set up a race with a fixed Outlook and percent chance of rain, so in the event of multiple disconnections we can get back to where we were (fixed grid positions too pls). 

Fair play to CM though, had two no assists league races this week in rain and absolutely exhausted afterwards. Felt like a huge achievement just getting through them. Rain effects are top drawer.

How about "Live Weather". They did it in Tiger Woods golf franchise why not F1?

They also do it in iGP, it's a really good suggestion. Weather not temperature however, because temperature could maybe affect the tyre temperatures.

MikeJohnno said:
Hey everyone,

Advanced Weather

Humidity Levels

Sector by Sector Weather

Circuit Temperatures

Thanks, 
xSilverArrow

Do they not have sector by sector weather already? I've found some parts of the track to be wet while others are wet.

:-?

i think the weather system just needs to be revamped i mean back in 2010 yes it was a radical idea and it was top of the line kind of thing but now its sort of slipping i mean its still good but its not like real rain where it could back off for like 2 mins then just become torrential in 1 lap the current one its either drying or its getting heavier theres no unexpected surprises same with when its drying i mean yes a dry line forms but after a while the whole track is the same and you dont need the line after a while, it should take far longer for parts off of the racing line, specially kerbs and grass to dry up, and puddles shouldnt just disapear in 1 lap unless its really sunny, its the same aswell for getting wet if theres a rubbered line it shouldnt be as grippy as other parts, f1 drivers try to avoid the usual dry running line because the rubber laid down actually reduces the amount of grip, we should feel it aswell. i think just the whole weather system in general could be brought more into 2014 instead of using the same thing year in year out, and make the rain spectrum like how hard its raining wider, maybe it could be spitting for a number of laps not just spitting for 1 lap then its raining and a down poor should cause serious puddles not just oh its wet just follow normal line and slow down a bit, we should be made to change our driving attitude in accordance to how wet it is, i mean full wet should be absolutely hammering down. also temperature is the same it should play a much more vital role on tyres and overall car performance, heat should cause more oversteer and cold should cause understeer kind of thing. thats my opinion anyway.

The database already seems to contain enough power to do most of what your asking. I think they have toned it down and kept it steady because the ai would be all over the place and so player will always be clever enough to win by miles. 
I mean for example at the moment the engineer can say we are expecting heavy rain in 5 mins. Then 5 mins later it starts to spit but it falls on the same lap as ai pit stop. so they all pile in for slicks just to go back in the next lap for inters. The player is clever enough to say i'll stay out and make these tyres last and pit once. Or even when getting the 15 min notice changing to lean fuel and taking it steady to cover the weather. The ai needs to be able to react like this before the weather can be improved.
Another thing that really bugs me is the rain %. the rain is not chance of rain its % of the race that it will be raining. ruins it