Sign in to follow this  

GRID AUTOSPORT REVIEW // Vote in your score!

Well I race mainly sim games with my wheel, and Grids 1 and 2 were way too much arcade. But somehow CM got this one right. This is without a doubt the best mix of sim/arcade driving physics ever. 

Of course I turn off all assist, haven't even tried it with assist to see if it is faster or slower. On a good sim using assist usually makes you a little slower in the turns because the game is taking over and slowing you down for safe run.

I want to bump my score up to 80.

Had some good fun racing round bathurst in the rs5 last night.

GA has not been out of the PS3 since I bought it.

My score of 90 may seem on the high side.... but all I'm really interested in is the handling dynamics across a decent range of tracks.  90 it is.

Has anyone else found the glitch where if you use a flashback as two AI collide in single player all your opponents will swerve in the same direction as the car that crashed, it's great thank you code masters for another incredible game with the coolest glitches of all time.

But if there is one thing i want to do in this game it's mix discipline. I feel like Endurance would be so much more fun with formula C cars!

The game is really great at what it sets out to do. I love how you can adjust the lengths of races and how difficult the AI is and the custom liveries and RaceNet clubs are awesome. Whilst I think the liveries could do with more customisation (e.g. being able to move and resize sponsors) and it would be nice to use them offline but when you're on track you're having a super blast :smiley: 

Some many laudable features like going back to a much smoother interface and focusing on racing rather than stupid arcade drift mechanics that were more like an Outrun game.

However the good is marred by the short dev time causing basics to be forgotten in places and using cheap hacks to cover up failures to finish after the terrible GRID 2. I'm not saying this to hurt the developer's feelings, but as a wake up call to Codemasters in general. The way you go about making games is a style that's not conducive to releasing a good finished product any more. If anything the more open dev styles have shown and proven that an active and included playerbase can and will help with getting the game right. Not all feedback is good, but then not all is bad either. pCARS took this route and it's looking to have paid off in spades. This methodology doesn't need to be limited to just the Sim racing genre in car games, it can easily be applied to arcade and semi-sim too.

Specific elements got my attention though and one of them is Drifting. Shift 2 Unleashed got drift pretty damn close for a Semi-Sim. The point system from GRID or GRID AS however makes more sense than that used in Shift 2. Having said that the balance of the cars in Shift 2 is also superior to GRID AS, but I think that's more  difference in engines and available parameters for the cars. GRID AS in drift feels disjointed as the car seems to have set modes it's switches between which aren't really under the players control as much as the game tries to suggest. Once you get into a drift it feels like it wants to stay there on a specific line, instead of feeling adjustable through throttle or brake application.  Though the Handbrake (e-brake) works nicely to compliment the cars movements.

AI is a big issue. It's good to see the varying skill levels and the different chosen lines with overtaking, but currently regarding the Player it seems to have a sociopathic hatred of racing smoothly. It'll sideswipe, try to spin you out USA cop style, even run full throttle into you in a braking zone to get past (and in most cases wreck you). I get in some disciplines there's a lax view on rubbing panels, but this is a whole different level of rubbing...

Cockpit view, while thankfully returned, currently gives me headaches from the blur as my brain tries to de-blur it, so that mode of racing is out (though using the Racedepartment patch to remove it solves this). Even if it's not fully animated dials or whatever blurring it out was a bad move.

Car handling in race form is actually very good after the initial learning curve. It's still a little overly twitchy on the limit, but it's fun and a good compromise. It there was a more accurate control between torque and tires with the throttle it would help with feel, but hey the engine is old.

Basically for the next game CM, include the community in it's development, they might even surprise you ;)

I'm not going to vote until the save corruption glitch is fixed because otherwise I'm going to give it 0 for being bloody unplayable.

Give me detailed cockpit with working dashboard and mirrors and game gets 100/100. I can't stomach features that have been brutally torn out from the first game (older one) and never fully developed in current, though it has been advertised. Feels a like a spoof...

:(   I give this less than 55% because on the Ps3 game I've had 5 save file corruptions but other than that the game is just ok. Do we really need another racing simulator?

I can't say anything nice about a game that doesn't work. I don't see how I'm supposed to play a game that requires progress to unlock events & acquire in-game items (credits for cars, upgrades, liveries, etc.) when all progress & accumulated awards randomly get corrupted & are unrecoverable due to Grid AutoSport's widespread recurring problem with corrupt save data. I feel swindled by CodeMasters.

"...The patch is coming," they say. This issue should never have needed a post-launch patch. The Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3 are mature platforms, not some unknown new technologies, and CodeMasters has been making games on these platforms for years - something as basic as being able to consistently save & load player data should work at launch, not weeks/months later after patches/updates.

It should be illegal for game companies to charge money at launch for games that don't work at launch. If the game won't work until later, then they shouldn't collect any money for it until it actually works.

The game industry tries to blame things like game rentals & pre-owned/used game sales & piracy for their profit challenges, but broken games like this are exactly why so many consumers choose other routes - because paying full price for broken new games is just throwing money away.

Operator1 said:

I can't say anything nice about a game that doesn't work. I don't see how I'm supposed to play a game that requires progress to unlock events & acquire in-game items (credits for cars, upgrades, liveries, etc.) when all progress & accumulated awards randomly get corrupted & are unrecoverable due to Grid AutoSport's widespread recurring problem with corrupt save data. I feel swindled by CodeMasters.

"...The patch is coming," they say. This issue should never have needed a post-launch patch. The Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3 are mature platforms, not some unknown new technologies, and CodeMasters has been making games on these platforms for years - something as basic as being able to consistently save & load player data should work at launch, not weeks/months later after patches/updates.

It should be illegal for game companies to charge money at launch for games that don't work at launch. If the game won't work until later, then they shouldn't collect any money for it until it actually works.

The game industry tries to blame things like game rentals & pre-owned/used game sales & piracy for their profit challenges, but broken games like this are exactly why so many consumers choose other routes - because paying full price for broken new games is just throwing money away.

Save game bugs are unacceptable, esp. on console platforms. I understand it is a bit more difficult on PC platforms where there is a variety of hardware/software operating that can gang up to cause issues that are difficult to predict.

Thing is, this is, unless I am mistaken, the latest in a line of save game issues with CM games.

I am concerned, because if they don't get some sort of handle on these issues people won't buy the games which will mean no future games (bad news for me because in general I love the games).

If you can look past the save game bug (I can because I've hardly used career mode so far) GA is a pretty good game. I feel sorry for all the people who busted a gut putting this stuff together and have done a great job, only to have the end product made to look bad by this issue.

Have not touched Gt6 since release. I am playing the pc version on my home theater with a sim rig and Fanatec Gt2 wheel. I concur that this is the best mix of arcade and sim period.

It is a good game, but it could be better. I would give it a 95 or even a 100 if it had more of the Grid 1 cars and tracks (like the little formula car (Formula J?), GT2, GT1, LMP2, LMP1 Le Mans cars and Detroit street, Le Mans, Milan circuit, etc. ), time trial mode, text chat, bigger grids (24 should be possible as there were 24 car grids in F1 2010-2012 and 22 in F1 2013), pit stops, ability to create a team for career mode and hire a teammate like in Grid 1, and fully detailed interiors (not blurred).  Other than that, it's a fantastic simcade game!

I voted 75, and I'll explain why later on as I can't really be bothered right now, but while it is a very good game, I think there are a lot of things that could be improved. Maybe I'm being very harsh, but I think there's a lot of little things that could be better.

Would give it 100 if the dlc packs would also be included in the Carreer (only mode I play, so the car packs are pretty useless in my opinion as long as you can only play with them in Custom Cup or online...)

I base my score of 75 on :- 

-7.5 for the save data corruption issue. 

-5 for the issues with the AI, #braking late #aggressive play 

-5 for lack of world leaderboard details

-5 for those moments when you do cock up a bend very clearly and it still gives you a corner cut penalty. This happens eithen when you are avoiding a crash and have no choice but to cut, VERY ANNOYING!! 

As an after thought on this tho, it must be a hard task for the game maker to make that side of things as fair as possible. knowing people will take a faster line off the track if they can get away with it.

-2.5 for the pre one to watch when waiting on the grid. I mean how the heck can some1 have an average of 3263.22 MPH, which makes me think is any of that info given correct.

+75 is for a greatly improved game with alot of depth and progress to achieve. This is a brilliant game and although i gave a 75 if the issues were resolved or not there from the start id of give 90-95.

Would give it 100 if the dlc packs would also be included in the Carreer (only mode I play, so the car packs are pretty useless in my opinion as long as you can only play with them in Custom Cup or online...)

The expansion packs will be for the career mode.

The expansion packs will be for the career mode.

I know, really looking forward to them. I hope they're better DLC than what we've seen so far

Feeling I should bump this up to an 85.

It is a game that grows on you over time. 

Is there a better game on the market for racing (as opposed to sim driving) at the moment ?

TEN OUTTA TEN

I would go into detail but I'll put it simple. No other racing game will pull in this amount of time from me, because no other game manages to get the simcade physics done as well as these guys. I don't care about OMG BEAUTIFUL DETAIL (PCars, anyone?), OMG SO MUCH CONTENT (Gran Turismo, anyone?), so on and so forth. Racing feels right in this game. Intense, hard fought, fun.

The only games I've put more time into have been Trackmania United & Dota 2. In my opinion, a game scores higher for me if it's something I can keep coming back to, keep having fun, and log in much more hours than other games. The only exception would be games that have a focus on single player, like Tomb Raider. I LOVED Tomb Raider, despite its lack of replay value. As long as there's people that still play this game, I'm still going to be all over it. One of the most genuinely fun racing games I've been able to play in a very long time.

I change my vote to 90, after another month of playing i'm absolutely addicted  to this game.
I always compare this game to original Grid and it's almost as great.

-10 points for lack of text chat and spectating mode when joining the session, can't think of anything else that spoils the fun. 

Really am starting to enjoy this game the more I play it, took off 5 points due to lack of text chat and rear view mirror but to be honest I can live without the text chat but not the rear view mirror, will be a solid 100 when we get the mirror.

Really am starting to enjoy this game the more I play it, took off 5 points due to lack of text chat and rear view mirror but to be honest I can live without the text chat but not the rear view mirror, will be a solid 100 when we get the mirror.
It is a shame, CM says the mirror wont come due to technical reasons, the exact reasons im not sure about. 

I like the game a lot but I gave the game a rating of 85/100 due to the fact it is about 85% of a finished product, I don't like how they give us the extra 15% though paid DLC, I have that issue with all games though, not just this one lol.

Once all the DLC is out I might change my rating to 95/100, take 5 off to account for the violent and roadraging A.I! :D

- 5: Frustratingly dirty AI drivers on the hardest difficulty.

- 5: Not allowing me to enter DLC playlists when I have the required pack(s)!

- 5: Ridiculous last lap rubber banding on Ravenwest drivers when they're really behind, and not giving us extra XP for doing longer races Online or off.

- 5: Poor playlist layout design. (Letting players with the most lobby points start at the front always, and also repetitive track voting. Both areas should've been randomised.)

- 5: Corrupted File dilemma. I know this is over and done with, but I want my game to work properly, always.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I bought this game as I'm still going back to it, it's just feels like a game that needed a bit more polishing and better design choices.