F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Is there any way to get a good start off the line?

I'm speaking about offline more than online. I'm not too sure if it's just the difficulty of the AI but rolling starts are fine, I've tried many ways to accelerate of the line.

I seem to be pretty terrible at race starts. Yesterday i was doing a touring car race at Red Bull Ring in the Audi A5. Qualified 2nd place, so i was on the front row with the Ravenwest's in the same car, one in front and one behind me.

I must have restarted 15 times trying to keep up with them to the first corner! No matter what i tried, the Ravenwest on front pulled away much quicker than i could, and the one behind would zoom past within a second or two. Even the Kicker cars were pulling up beside me by the first corner.

Ive tried just flooring it, getting tons of wheel spin, tried half throttle, tried pulling away as gently as possible with no wheelspin and everything in between, but no matter all the other cars seem to have huge amounts of grip i just cant seem to find!

On hard AI difficulty with ABS only, no other assists. Any help?

It varies a bit by car, but in general this works for me: Rev up to near the red line (but not actually hitting the limiter) and hold it there. When the lights turn keep holding that throttle for a moment, then when you get a bit of traction and forward movement, push harder. You want a little bit of wheel squeal as you accelerate, but not too much.

Need about 70-85% throttle on start, but it was pretty much always the case that Touring Cars for the player were slow off the line. I never got them right in the original GRID. Seems very similar in GAS.

Also manual gears are pretty helpful if you can run with them. The auto-gearbox won't change quickly while you have wheelspin so it's easy to find yourself bouncing off the limiter for a bit. With manual though you can shift as soon as you get into the red and it helps with traction on the second stage of the start.

Britpoint said:
Also manual gears are pretty helpful if you can run with them. The auto-gearbox won't change quickly while you have wheelspin so it's easy to find yourself bouncing off the limiter for a bit. With manual though you can shift as soon as you get into the red and it helps with traction on the second stage of the start.
Yeah im using the paddle shifters on a G27, and i find that the cars usually bog down when i shift up to second as soon as i hit the limiter, everyone else seems to pull away at that point.

I'll try later on, see how i get on.

Britpoint said:
Yeah im using the paddle shifters on a G27, and i find that the cars usually bog down when i shift up to second as soon as i hit the limiter, everyone else seems to pull away at that point.

I'll try later on, see how i get on.
I have that problem too and I'm just resigned to accepting that when it comes to race starts the AI do it better.

Would be nice if they weren't always so 'perfect' at starts. I thought the AI were supposed to be realistic?

I seem to be pretty terrible at race starts. Yesterday i was doing a touring car race at Red Bull Ring in the Audi A5. Qualified 2nd place, so i was on the front row with the Ravenwest's in the same car, one in front and one behind me.

I must have restarted 15 times trying to keep up with them to the first corner! No matter what i tried, the Ravenwest on front pulled away much quicker than i could, and the one behind would zoom past within a second or two. Even the Kicker cars were pulling up beside me by the first corner.

Ive tried just flooring it, getting tons of wheel spin, tried half throttle, tried pulling away as gently as possible with no wheelspin and everything in between, but no matter all the other cars seem to have huge amounts of grip i just cant seem to find!

On hard AI difficulty with ABS only, no other assists. Any help?

Ignore the A.I because they essentially cheat off the start line, in like for like cars they will always be faster.

It also makes no difference whether you floor it off the start or try and stop wheelspin, in fact the latter you are more likely to go slower if you rev too low, the only thing that is important is shifting just before you are about to hit the rev limiter, but obviously that is harder to do if it's bouncing off from wheelspin so you either have to guess or know exactly what speed to shift up at. I'm always fastest off the start line online simply because I change gears better than everyone else, I'm sure people probably think I'm cheating because it's noticeably quicker.

I've just been testing that track and car combination on very hard and also the Mercedes and I'm certain the A.I pace is wrong for that track and their speed and acceleration is way too fast in general.

yeah I'm usually bad at starts in comparison with the Ai hbut then I run longer races as I've got mine set to x3 so generally I finfd I can make up for it later in the race sa I can usually run about the same pace as Ravenwest. The only time RW do seem to have a handle on me is in Endurance

yeah I'm usually bad at starts in comparison with the Ai hbut then I run longer races as I've got mine set to x3 so generally I finfd I can make up for it later in the race sa I can usually run about the same pace as Ravenwest. The only time RW do seem to have a handle on me is in Endurance
I find them the easiest to beat in Endurance. I think it's because they wear their tires out very quickly sliding everywhere trying to get away from me.

The rare times I don't beat Aaron into the first corner and he gets ahead, I'm usually past him in a few laps anyway because he slides off. Heh. :L

What I've found working really well is if you keep the revs at the point they drop down too.
Every car has a different point that when the race starts their revs drop too.
The closer you keep the rev limiter to this number the faster you'll actually start accelerating as your revs aren't dropping from 8000-5000 then going back up again.
Then it's all about gradual throttle application
Seems to work for me offline & online and you should at least hold position.

I find them the easiest to beat in Endurance. I think it's because they wear their tires out very quickly sliding everywhere trying to get away from me.

The rare times I don't beat Aaron into the first corner and he gets ahead, I'm usually past him in a few laps anyway because he slides off. Heh. :L
I also noticed Ravenwest aren't as strong in Endurance. In the last Enduro season I did Ravenwest had a shocking performance, 1st race at Spa Reverse Westley rolled his car & McKane went spectacularly wide into the final chicane & smashed into the tire barrier. At the 2nd race at Yas Marina Westley managed to qualify 16th (last!) & McKane went wide at a chicane again & was pit maneuvered by a K&N car when rejoining the track. Was, unexpected to say the least.

For me it's Open wheel I seem to have a good handle on everyone in that one though even RW don't know what to do with me there. I can sometimes beat 1 of them but both of them has proven to be a bit of a handful. I have done it but only on the odd occasion so far. Was thrashed by them at Hockenheim last night though but I had a bit of a nightmare start to the race and that's what cost me as some of the AI decided to try let's ram him off the track. Managed to salvage 3rd but I knew pretty much when I got back up that the RW's were gone as they were already about 1000 ft off in the distance

For me it's Open wheel I seem to have a good handle on everyone in that one though even RW don't know what to do with me there. I can sometimes beat 1 of them but both of them has proven to be a bit of a handful. I have done it but only on the odd occasion so far. Was thrashed by them at Hockenheim last night though but I had a bit of a nightmare start to the race and that's what cost me as some of the AI decided to try let's ram him off the track. Managed to salvage 3rd but I knew pretty much when I got back up that the RW's were gone as they were already about 1000 ft off in the distance
I'd say endurance and open wheel are the easiest, so long as you can get pole. They refuse to overtake me in open wheel - even on the long straights of Sepang, if I'm on the racing line they won't bother attempting to pull past me, they just follow me at my speed. Quite strange, really.

Perhaps that in of itself is something @Loore needs to look into. The Open Wheel AI seems to get confused about the player's racing line. Every other discipline they move around to overtake without any real issues, though with varying success. I've never been overtaken in Open Wheel though.

I'd say endurance and open wheel are the easiest, so long as you can get pole. They refuse to overtake me in open wheel - even on the long straights of Sepang, if I'm on the racing line they won't bother attempting to pull past me, they just follow me at my speed. Quite strange, really.

Perhaps that in of itself is something @Loore needs to look into. The Open Wheel AI seems to get confused about the player's racing line. Every other discipline they move around to overtake without any real issues, though with varying success. I've never been overtaken in Open Wheel though.
I've lost a few places at the start just as with all the  other disciplines but it doesn't take me long once I'm up to speed though to get back past them as usually after about 3/4 laps I'm back in front and starting to pull away. I'm just generally super quick in that discipline compared with the AI. I just assumed that it was just my F1 experience paying off personally

Yep, like you I'm currently running at 3x. When you increase the race length, fast starts are not important.