Jump to content Jump to content

Question of the Day Thread

A certain type of hypocrisy. The thing about hypocrites is that they don't know that they're hypocrites. Fact is, anyone who calls someone out for being a hypocrite is a hypocrite themselves. Difference is, I know I'm a hypocrite.

Everyone is a hypocrite, and anyone who says they aren't is a liar and have their head shoved so far up their ass that they've confused their brains with poop.

For me, I'm guilty of this to an extent, but it's being too judgemental. Often I will look at something for five seconds and within that time, my mind will have made a decision on what that thing is going to be like. Often I'll look at something in a negative light and it will turn out to be great. I wish I could have a completely open mind sometimes.

For example, the hotel I stayed at with my music tour, when I first saw it I thought 'hmm, this looks a bit naff, a lot of this looks really tacky'. It turned out to be a great hotel.

PeteTheDuck said:

For me, I'm guilty of this to an extent, but it's being too judgemental. Often I will look at something for five seconds and within that time, my mind will have made a decision on what that thing is going to be like. Often I'll look at something in a negative light and it will turn out to be great. I wish I could have a completely open mind sometimes.

For example, the hotel I stayed at with my music tour, when I first saw it I thought 'hmm, this looks a bit naff, a lot of this looks really tacky'. It turned out to be a great hotel.

That's a good thing in my opinion. If you go around saying "oh this'll be great" all the time, you're going to be disappointed most of the time. Using your hotel example, you were probably thrilled that the hotel turned out to be great unless you were beating yourself up over the fact that you pre-judged something. If it did turn out crap, you can take pleasure in the fact that you were right! 

Always try to be skeptical (but not cynical). There's nothing wrong with prejudice.

Mexicola said:

PeteTheDuck said:

That's a good thing in my opinion. If you go around saying "oh this'll be great" all the time, you're going to be disappointed most of the time. Using your hotel example, you were probably thrilled that the hotel turned out to be great unless you were beating yourself up over the fact that you pre-judged something. If it did turn out crap, you can take pleasure in the fact that you were right! 

Always try to be skeptical (but not cynical). There's nothing wrong with prejudice.

That's a really good point actually. You 're right, I was thrilled that the hotel turned out to be great. I think it's okay to be judgemental sometimes, I just wish I was more open with things. 

Although, I think first impressions mean a lot. With the hotel, I thought it looked a bit naff because the paint was a bit thin in places on the walls, the lights in the letters of the sign were out in places, there was a bit of an odd smell. If the hotel had fully working lights, a nice smell, nicely painted walls, plus some other improvements then I think I would have been pretty impressed from the off.