Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEUTSCHLAND '16

Rosberg did a magic trick going into the first corner and disappeared. 

Rosberg looked like a pure chump out there today. Dreadful start compounded by dodgy overtaking on Verstappen. Well done.

Edit: AND he lied on radio. "Full lock" my left ballbeg.

Mexicola said:
Rosberg looked like a pure chump out there today. Dreadful start compounded by dodgy overtaking on Verstappen. Well done.

Edit: AND he lied on radio. "Full lock" my left ballbeg.
He tried to do the same thing he did in Austria. He got 10 seconds for that move, so a 5 second one for the same move just without contact seems fine to me.

And, in my opinion, I don't think it's a particularly sporting move to just straight line past the apex and completely block out a competitor. I can think of 4 times he's used this move, and it's only ever worked out once for him.

God what a boring race. Seriously if it weren't for Red Bull's new found speed and Verstappen's navieity than this year would be a complete wash. 

Bit it of a dumb move by Nico. Although Max did move to block in breaking. I hate the move always have. But it's been a move in F1 for years, one that drivers like Vettel, Hamilton, and Alonso have all used without penalty... Why are we penalizing it now? It should be a penalty, but why all of a sudden do the stewards care; no rule has changed. 

Love this 

https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/status/759754608864550912?s=09

If F1 is still this boring next yeah I'm tempted to stop watching it, what with the Mercedes winning every race and Sky motor boating Hamilton every minute of their coverage, I'm getting pretty sick of it. Not to mention this HALO device in 2018. the FIA and their laughable rule changes and decisions. The sport is a joke at the moment, we haven't had a genuinely good season in terms of a title battle since 2012, I was still in high school in 2012. Every weekend you sit down and basically just hope the Mercedes take each other out, and if they don't, you know it's a win for them 9 times out of 10. 

To be clear about HALO and canopies, I'm not against the head protection idea, but actually make a car designed around it, rather than bolting it on last minute. It looks awful, nobody wants to watch a sport with those monstrosities on them - no new fans are going to look at those cars and think they're beautiful.

The only way new fans will come to the sport is if the racing is exciting - from 1st to last, the sport is accessible, the rules are clear and the cars look good and go fast. The sport is screwed if 2017 is another domination by a big team like Mercedes, because nobody will be able to catch them until new rule changes come in. The only way it wont be screwed is if we have a pair of drivers in the dominant car that are equal - like Alonso and Lewis. That would at least create a sort of Senna-Prost esque rivalry that would go to the wire - not because of luck - but because of talent. Rosberg isn't good enough to actually take a title fight down to the wire without luck because Lewis is just that bit faster 90% of the time on race day. 

AMS97KRR said:
If F1 is still this boring next yeah I'm tempted to stop watching it, what with the Mercedes winning every race and Sky motor boating Hamilton every minute of their coverage, I'm getting pretty sick of it. Not to mention this HALO device in 2018. the FIA and their laughable rule changes and decisions. The sport is a joke at the moment, we haven't had a genuinely good season in terms of a title battle since 2012, I was still in high school in 2012. Every weekend you sit down and basically just hope the Mercedes take each other out, and if they don't, you know it's a win for them 9 times out of 10. 

To be clear about HALO and canopies, I'm not against the head protection idea, but actually make a car designed around it, rather than bolting it on last minute. It looks awful, nobody wants to watch a sport with those monstrosities on them - no new fans are going to look at those cars and think they're beautiful.

The only way new fans will come to the sport is if the racing is exciting - from 1st to last, the sport is accessible, the rules are clear and the cars look good and go fast. The sport is screwed if 2017 is another domination by a big team like Mercedes, because nobody will be able to catch them until new rule changes come in. The only way it wont be screwed is if we have a pair of drivers in the dominant car that are equal - like Alonso and Lewis. That would at least create a sort of Senna-Prost esque rivalry that would go to the wire - not because of luck - but because of talent. Rosberg isn't good enough to actually take a title fight down to the wire without luck because Lewis is just that bit faster 90% of the time on race day. 
Hey, your favourite driver won the WDC 4 seasons in a row, you had your fun, now let us Merc fans have ours ;)

Agreed                                         

AMS97KRR said:

Hey, your favourite driver won the WDC 4 seasons in a row, you had your fun, now let us Merc fans have ours ;)
It's not really the same though, I can see why on paper it looks boring, but 2010 and 2012 were two of the best years in history. 2011 wasn't the same level of domination, other drivers still beat Vettel on pace. And 2013 was great until the summer break, after which it was a boring procession. 

2014-2016 has been a soul destroying procession where only 1 team can win 95% of the time. I'm sure you're very happy with the titles, and I don't blame you or Lewis or Mercedes - but that doesn't make it any better, it's still damaging for the sport and boring. If someone watched their first race today, they'd have a very bad impression. 

AMS97KRR said:
AMS97KRR said:

It's not really the same though, I can see why on paper it looks boring, but 2010 and 2012 were two of the best years in history. 2011 wasn't the same level of domination, other drivers still beat Vettel on pace. And 2013 was great until the summer break, after which it was a boring procession. 

2014-2016 has been a soul destroying procession where only 1 team can win 95% of the time. I'm sure you're very happy with the titles, and I don't blame you or Lewis or Mercedes - but that doesn't make it any better, it's still damaging for the sport and boring. If someone watched their first race today, they'd have a very bad impression. 
I thought 2010 was good, but the way 2012 ended was crushing for me. Seriously though, what you're feeling now is exactly what I felt between 2011 and 2013, it was awful constantly knowing that no matter what happened in most races, the Red Bull was still the fastest car and there was a more than good chance it'd be the winning car at the end of the race. There was some occasions like the start of 2012 where things looked good, but then Red Bull would just get back on it again. It sucked. But I'm still here watching.

Thing is, it's only boring if you don't like Merc, Hamilton, or Rosberg. For me, today's race was pretty great, lots of changing strategies, a fair bit of wheel to wheel action, and the stress of worrying whether or not Hamilton's engine would end up with any problems. The very first race I ever watched was much more boring than today's race yet it was still enough to hook me in.

AMS97KRR said:

I'm half way there. One team has been winning everything in the sport in most years since 2000, so that's not really the problem. It's more that the quality of races in general has been awful across the past ~18 months, which isn't surprising considering the action on track is terribly regulated, artificial and the most predictable it's ever been. All the big stories in F1 now are all what's going on in the strategy group meetings, which tells you all you need to know. I'll always be a fan of F1 but at the moment there's better stuff to do in my life on a Sunday afternoon, and it's just easier to catch up with a "highlights" package. 

The good news is that fortunately for motorsport fans, we're spoilt for choice with other great racing series at the moment. 

It's going to be war in T1, warrrrrrr.

Wonder if anyone get's the reference. ;)

It WAS warrrrrrr.

I'm a Ferrari fan... So I haven't had fun in nearly a decade. 

While Red Bull were certainly the fastest car for most of 2010-2013, they were not nearly as dominate as Merc are now. This half year Merc has never been beaten on pace. Even in 2014 and 2015 the 6 losses weren't all on pace. No one can challenge Merc right now. In the Red Bull years there were at least good seasons. 2011 and 2013 are a little different in that they were more RB dominate. But 2010 had a thrilling finish, 4 driver still had a shot at the championship from three different teams. And 2012 started with 7 different race winners. Those are incredible seasons that while one cat was dominant, it wasn't a guarantee like it is with Merc. 

Not trying to take anything away from Merc and Hamilton. They earned their success. It just creates a boring series when no one can challenge the leader. 

While Red Bull were certainly the fastest car for most of 2010-2013, they were not nearly as dominate as Merc are now. This half year Merc has never been beaten on pace. Even in 2014 and 2015 the 6 losses weren't all on pace. No one can challenge Merc right now. In the Red Bull years there were at least good seasons. 2011 and 2013 are a little different in that they were more RB dominate. But 2010 had a thrilling finish, 4 driver still had a shot at the championship from three different teams. And 2012 started with 7 different race winners. Those are incredible seasons that while one cat was dominant, it wasn't a guarantee like it is with Merc. 

Not trying to take anything away from Merc and Hamilton. They earned their success. It just creates a boring series when no one can challenge the leader. 

I think the difference for me is that Rosberg and Hamilton are both capable of winning races, while with the Red Bull it was very much always just Vettel. That's what made it much more boring for me. Random thing, Vettel won 11 races in 2011 and 13 races in 2013, Webber over those seasons... 1 race win. And during both of those seasons the highest amount of wins a competitor from a different team had was 3 in 2011, and 2 in 2013.

VetteIfan said:
AMS97KRR said:

I'm half way there. One team has been winning everything in the sport in most years since 2000, so that's not really the problem. It's more that the quality of races in general has been awful across the past ~18 months, which isn't surprising considering the action on track is terribly regulated, artificial and the most predictable it's ever been. All the big stories in F1 now are all what's going on in the strategy group meetings, which tells you all you need to know. I'll always be a fan of F1 but at the moment there's better stuff to do in my life on a Sunday afternoon, and it's just easier to catch up with a "highlights" package. 

The good news is that fortunately for motorsport fans, we're spoilt for choice with other great racing series at the moment. 

It's going to be war in T1, warrrrrrr.

Wonder if anyone get's the reference. ;)

It WAS warrrrrrr.
I mean that is true to a point, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 are the years when I first started really liking the sport, so I was probably somewhat spoilt - 2011 was the first year of real domination I witnessed, it was probably the worst year I'd watched to date but I didn't mind so much because there was good action but mainly because it seemed like it would be more of a blip to someone like me than a new trend. 2012 was a great year, although less so for @RevolvingPrawn ;) - we had something like 7 winners in 7 races - that's mind blowing compared to the here and now. 2013 for the first half was solid, looked like Vettel might have a challenge until Spa anyway. And then after that second half I was hoping for another good year and it just wasn't. I thought Ferrari or RBR would be closer next year and it would be a bit more bearable, it wasn't any better. I thought the same again for 2016 - No better. 

I've pretty much been watching every week since 2014 just hoping that the Mercedes will crash - That's not what I should be feeling going into a race. And as you said, there is plenty of things I could be doing on a sunny Sunday afternoon, my parents (Who I normally watch it with) have recorded races this year and gone out instead, they never did that in the past (like the weekend used to revolve around F1 - you go out before or after, my grandparents are still like that). And they're proper F1 fans the same as I am, that just tells you something about how bad this era has been for the following of Formula 1. I'll always be an F1 fan too, but right now I just get very little enjoyment out of watching the races. 

Germany's fan base has been declining for years for example - and frankly I don't see it picking up any time soon, because the sport is not that exciting on the whole at the moment. The 3rd-6th place battle is immensely tight right now, it would be a brilliant season - but there is nothing to get excited about when it comes to 3rd place in the championship. I don't really care who finishes 3rd so long as Vettel beats Raikkonen. 

Formula E is actually more exciting than Formula 1 - something has to be done in the future if one team is too dominant, for the good of the sport. My only suggestion would be to put some kind of ballast on a car if it is too fast, bring it down to a level where it could be beaten on outright pace. 

I'd argue there's only been 2 occasions they were legit beaten on pace - Malaysia 2015 and Singapore 2015. And even in Singapore it was more of a funny situation with the tyres. In 2012 the RB wasn't the outright fastest car either - McLaren had a fast but fragile car that year. 

And that's one thing I do think is true - Mercedes and Hamilton have completely deserved their titles and wins - no one can say they haven't. Hamiltons 2nd and 3rd titles were really a long time coming. But that success has damaged the sports image and the FIA don't really help with their stupidity either. We need rules to be consistent for a season, no more in season banning of previously legal car elements (Like Silverstone 2011 with the blown diffuser) unless it is for safety, no stupid rule changes about track limits every 5 minutes - it needs to be clear and simple all season.

AMS97KRR said:
AMS97KRR said:

I thought 2010 was good, but the way 2012 ended was crushing for me. Seriously though, what you're feeling now is exactly what I felt between 2011 and 2013, it was awful constantly knowing that no matter what happened in most races, the Red Bull was still the fastest car and there was a more than good chance it'd be the winning car at the end of the race. There was some occasions like the start of 2012 where things looked good, but then Red Bull would just get back on it again. It sucked. But I'm still here watching.

Thing is, it's only boring if you don't like Merc, Hamilton, or Rosberg. For me, today's race was pretty great, lots of changing strategies, a fair bit of wheel to wheel action, and the stress of worrying whether or not Hamilton's engine would end up with any problems. The very first race I ever watched was much more boring than today's race yet it was still enough to hook me in.
The big problem though, is many fans and the target audience of people we need to get on board are neutrals. If I watched a game of NFL and found it boring, I'd never watch it again. first impressions are important - we need to have most races being considered good races, rather than maybe half we do now (Probably less to be honest). Ultimately you're asking random people to commit their afternoon to the sport on a Sunday - it takes a lot to get people to do that, because if it's nice outside, I could go to the beach or go for a walk around somewhere, go out for an Icecream to a seaside town. Are they going to do that for the current state of F1? Well as seen above, people are starting to watch races in their own time and have put it down their list of priorities.

Young people just don't care about F1 anymore, it gets less and less popular every year according to stats. And no fans means no F1.

Well that's down to the other teams being poor, if they want to win they need to try harder. F1 has always been like this, 1 or 2 dominate, the rest follow. Change the rules, 1 team will find a loophole and dominate.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2015/10/08/the-most-dominant-teams-in-f1-history/

AMS97KRR said:
AMS97KRR said:
AMS97KRR said:

The big problem though, is many fans and the target audience of people we need to get on board are neutrals. If I watched a game of NFL and found it boring, I'd never watch it again. first impressions are important - we need to have most races being considered good races, rather than maybe half we do now (Probably less to be honest). Ultimately you're asking random people to commit their afternoon to the sport on a Sunday - it takes a lot to get people to do that, because if it's nice outside, I could go to the beach or go for a walk around somewhere, go out for an Icecream to a seaside town. Are they going to do that for the current state of F1? Well as seen above, people are starting to watch races in their own time and have put it down their list of priorities.

Young people just don't care about F1 anymore, it gets less and less popular every year according to stats. And no fans means no F1.
I might be a weird one, the first Nascar race I watched I thought was super boring, but I still watch a couple races a season at least :p I do get what you mean though about lower numbers of people getting in to F1, and for me I think there's at least another way to get younger people interested. Put F1 back on free TV in every country, and stop it from being behind a paywall. Younger people generally can't afford Sky TV (I'm 28, absolutely can't afford Sky), so by having less than half the races live it's not exactly a great way to get people interested. And it's gonna get worse when Channel 4 agreement ends and F1 is no longer shown on free TV in the UK.

As for this race though, I still think you're biased to calling it boring because you don't like Merc at all :p For someone neutral it may have just been an alright race, and for me as a Merc fan it was a good race :p

Hughesy said:
Well that's down to the other teams being poor, if they want to win they need to try harder. F1 has always been like this, 1 or 2 dominate, the rest follow. Change the rules, 1 team will find a loophole and dominate.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2015/10/08/the-most-dominant-teams-in-f1-history/
That doesn't always happen, it hasnt always been like that. 2005-2010 was very competitive. That sort of form needs to be recaptured. 

Difference between Austria on Hamilton and here is that Hamilton didn't move in the braking zone. I thought the penalty was harsh on Rosberg today and he only went that deep because Verstappen was moving in the braking zone again. If he'd made his defensive move before or took the normal line then Rosberg wouldn't have ended up so deep in the corner.

Good to see Mclaren making progress though. They should get Vandoorne into that Manor if Haryanto isn't staying and have him there for 2017 ready to replace Alonso or Button in 2018. Plus they'll see how he fares against Wehrlein who's supposed to be another hot prospect for the future.

Hughesy said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nico BOTTLEJOB Rosberg is the Arsenal of F1
Leave Arsenal alone! :tongue: