Jump to content Jump to content

I know I've been complaining a lot recently but this by far vexes me the most, the unfair qualifying. So, I was in a Cat B Touring Championship & the race was at Red Bull Ring. After getting some practice I went out to qualify & noticed immediately the benchmark time set by a K&N car was clear 2 seconds off my practice laps. So I'm doing my lap & notice by the 3rd sector I'm up by just over a second, but even with a perfect final sector I'm suddenly down by 1.5 seconds. How the hell does the AI gain over 2 seconds on me in the final sector? To make matters worse Ravenwest come along & shatter that time by half a second. But in the race they are a second off their own times, which makes things a bit more bareable, well until you realise Ravenwest's Audis simply leave you behind on straights...
I noticed this as well, but @headfake is probably right, this only happened when a new fastest time was posted right before I finished a sector.

@jerrymackturner you're probably not racing on the 'very hard' difficulty, because it ain't that easy.

I can confirm this. There are other cars out on the track whilst you qualify and the game can only show you the sector times of the drivers that have finished a lap.

It can be quite irritating but you can learn to guess what sorts of a position your first lap will get you based on the laps that are already done when you start off. For me, I aim for a lap time about 2-3 seconds ahead of the initial sector time splits and that usually gets me from 1st down to 3rd or 4th once myself and Ravenwest have had a lap of the track. Obviously it can vary depending on track and difficulty but that's just what I gauge myself on.
headfake said:
I think that the delta times only include laps that were complete when you started your lap. It looks like you lost a lot of time in the last sector but really it's just that faster laps have been posted.
But when my lap is complete the same lap time is still at the top. I know I'm not slower though the final sector as in the race I'm able to keep up with the lead AI through those corners.
headfake said:
I think that the delta times only include laps that were complete when you started your lap. It looks like you lost a lot of time in the last sector but really it's just that faster laps have been posted.
But when my lap is complete the same lap time is still at the top. I know I'm not slower though the final sector as in the race I'm able to keep up with the lead AI through those corners.
Normally the AI is faster in qualifying than it is during the race, with some weird exceptions where AI has crashed and is trying to make up time, by being 3 seconds faster than the second fastest time of the race (rubberbanding???)
I mean, you can't be 3 seconds faster than the rest, with a car that is damaged
headfake said:

Ais rarely drive as quickly during the race, just as real drivers rarely go as quickly as they did in qualifying. they have to defend their position in a race, which compromises their line and speed, which then hurts their lap times. they also have to pass other drivers, or wait behind them, both of which compromise race lines and lap times. in qualifying, you can get a full clean lap, no compromise, no distraction, nobody trying to pass for position. just the driver the car and the track, which should allow them to hit all their marks and run faster lap times. i have had similar issued in qualifying, and it was down to the fact that i wasnt hitting my apexes correctly in the third sector. during the race, everyone had slowed down, so i was able to keep up in the third sector, and make my passes in the others. its just one of those facts of racing and life in general, you cant be perfect everywhere, so you gotta learn how to make due, and capitalize on your enemies mistakes, and on your strengths, while trying to work around your weaknesses

alexPSCE said:
headfake said:

Ais rarely drive as quickly during the race, just as real drivers rarely go as quickly as they did in qualifying. they have to defend their position in a race, which compromises their line and speed, which then hurts their lap times. they also have to pass other drivers, or wait behind them, both of which compromise race lines and lap times. in qualifying, you can get a full clean lap, no compromise, no distraction, nobody trying to pass for position. just the driver the car and the track, which should allow them to hit all their marks and run faster lap times. i have had similar issued in qualifying, and it was down to the fact that i wasnt hitting my apexes correctly in the third sector. during the race, everyone had slowed down, so i was able to keep up in the third sector, and make my passes in the others. its just one of those facts of racing and life in general, you cant be perfect everywhere, so you gotta learn how to make due, and capitalize on your enemies mistakes, and on your strengths, while trying to work around your weaknesses

All true but not in this game, they adapt to what the player is doing and most players are slower than their best qualifying lap time. If you can match it lap after lap, so will the A.I.

Also what the OP says is true, on some tracks the sector times are way off, test the Sepang short track reversed with the left hairpin onto the straight before the finish. The sector starts slightly before the corner on a straight, has that one corner and then another long straight, no matter what the A.I are always about 1.5s faster on very hard but are much slower in the middle sector but in the race they are the same speed throughout.

Part of me thinks the times are just simulated based on laps times you get as the times the A.I get very suspiciously improve only a little if I'm only just first and dramatically if I'm a lot faster, though I can't be bothered to test, someone else might want to.

The qualifying is simply bugged, nothing more.
I had it in EVERY single quali, that my 1st 2 sectors were 2-4seconds faster than the front runners and in the end just 1 second faster.
Don't know why, but this always happens, when an AI player is in front. If I try to beat my own time, the sector times are perfectly fine.
So there is nothing unfair about it, just messed up. Just as TheKazzyMac said, plan 2-3 seconds ahead and you know, if your time is good for pole. If it's just too hard, you should probably decrease difficulty. :P
  • 5 years later...

Yep, I've just bought the game and wanted to see if anyone else is having issues with qualifying. I've just done the first race in the tuner class at San Fransisco in the wet. I qualified first with a time of about 49sec, AI on 52sec. During the race, same track conditions, the AI best time is 4secs faster at a high 48. Are code masters aware/fixing this does anyone know? I'd be a little dramatic saying it's unplayable, it's just making it unenjoyable so far! From the brief time I've had with it the street circuits seem the main culprits

One gripe that I have with qualy is that supposedly it is a "one lap qualy". But you can do it as many times as you want. But also, you cannot configure the car between laps, you gotta advance to the race, configure the car there, and then try to qualify again.... I mean, it is all functional but is kinda weird. I would really love if they can rework the system somehow.

Like, give us three laps max. But in  between every lap, let us configure the car. Once three laps have concluded, take us to the race at once. Maybe let us reconfigure the car once more, but that's it.

Because as it is now, the system is very exploitable. As I said, it is functional, but kinda negates the purpose of "one lap qualify" if you can repeat it indefinitely. 

Edited by Leocp
  • Agree 1