Sign in to follow this  

F1 2016 Setup Guide - Part 1 Now Available!

Thanks a lot xyadas, this guide will help me get the maximum enjoyment out of the game! I will be rereading the much of this as I experiment with different setups. Just some feedback and a few questions, if you don't mind:

-With the on and off throttle differentials: Are there times when you would have a big difference between these two options? Like one being 50%, the other at 90%? Or will they generally be balanced with both settings moving based on driving style/track? I heard elsewhere that a big difference between the two can cause severe instability

-In the suspsension section you say

"The rear suspension also determines how quickly the rear tyres are loaded when accelerating which means it can also help the differential"

What do you mean by "help" the differential? Is it that a soft suspension will give more grip to the rear, allowing you to run a more open differential, giving better stability while maintaining acceleration?

-I still don't really get what anti-roll bars do or why increasing them gives better responsiveness. This isn't a question but just feedback on that section.

Thanks again for creating this, it's very much appreciated. I have searched a lot for similar guides and have not found one as comprehensive at this!

^^
the easiest way to understand anti roll bar is as follows: every corner has three parts; entry, apex and exit. ARB affects apex. So if the front of the car wants to push wide at the apex then you would soften front ARB.  If the back wants to step out then you would soften the rear.  Btw, great work on the guide Xyadas. 

@gruaiggorm weight transfer is an advanced concept that I haven't really put into the guide yet as this initial coercion just focused on the basic setup theories. As progress is made the suspension and differential interdependency will be explained. Good point though! All the interdependencies will be explained in detail soon.

@coolieboy that gives me an idea for the setup charts!

@gruaiggorm forgot to answer your questions, sorry! Was busy running around at work, lol.

-With the on and off throttle differentials: Are there times when you would have a big difference between these two options? Like one being 50%, the other at 90%? Or will they generally be balanced with both settings moving based on driving style/track? I heard elsewhere that a big difference between the two can cause severe instability

Generally speaking this is only a problem if the coast side is significantly more open (less coupling or lock) than the power side. It's a condition known as trailing throttle oversteer. So say the power side is set to 90 and the coast to 50. If you were to start applying power coming out of a corner but then suddenly lift off completely, it would suddenly throw a huge amount of torque to the outside wheel and probably spin you out. Hence the name trailing throttle oversteer.

What do you mean by "help" the differential? Is it that a soft suspension will give more grip to the rear, allowing you to run a more open differential, giving better stability while maintaining acceleration?

I need to clarify that one because of the inter-dependency between the front and rear suspensions and what effect they both can have with differential settings. Nothing is ever terribly easy to explain with the differential. It's one thing to understand it, and another to try and explain it.

Nice work Xyadas. Yesterday I enjoyed the F1 Belgium GP live at the circuit of Spa-Francorchamps and while I was waiting for the action to start, I really enjoyed your Setup Guide. I'm even a bigger fan knowing what it takes to setup the car. Magnussen's engineers should read your guide !
I'll try it out tonight. 

I really look forward to "Circuit Specific Setup Suggestions". I 'm sure understanding the circuit specifics will give a head start.

The struggle we keep running into is simplifying the explanations and details to match the game. It's almost frustrating how simple the setup options are compared to what they could be but it's still a fun challenge to make a guide for :smiley:

@Larenjeira more to come! It'll be a somewhat lengthy timeframe before the next release is made available but it's a huge one.

@Xyadas - Great guide, it must have taken a lot of your time. I have 1 question though - it says having less on throttle diff result in increased traction, but also says that more on throttle diff has increased traction. I dont understand how this could be the case, as surely the opposite amount of diff would mean the opposite amount of traction?

I have most probably got this wrong, but I always struggle understanding the diff settings, so it would be great if you could explain how this affects the car. Thanks and well done again on the guide.

Great guide @Xyadas.
I just have a few suggestions:

1) Would be good if you can add some images with explanations and examples of how the things works and how they impact on changes,

2) I would really want to know how do I start to setup a car, what should I start to tune first, secound, third and so on in order... Should I start with downforce settings then suspensions, or maybe tire pressure and camber and then look for downforce? How do I find that compromise between each parts,
Because reading the guide its obvious that many settings can give you the same effect of understeer or oversteer, but its not clear what should you tune, should it be downforce, or maybe front spring, or the camber?

3) Give examples of setting the parts for different tracks.
For example - On the track like Monaco you would need to set the downforce between frond and rear to be equal in compared with other track like Monza etc.

Cheers

@Foreverchamps it does take quite a bit of time, especially with Toyota demanding most of my time, lol. For the power side differential, less locking force gives you more feel for traction. You get more warning before you lose traction and spin the tyres because it feeds power to the outside tyre more and more until it exceeds the traction circle for that tyre. You feel this with an increase in rear steer as you apply more power since the outside tyre will push the car more than the inside tyre. Consequently there is less outright traction for accelerating out of a corner. With more locking, you can better utilize the traction circle on both rear tyres, hence the better outright traction. Does that better clarify the situation? The differential is not exactly easy to explain. It's one of those things learned better by demonstration than from reading. When our videos start rolling out in the future they should compliment the written part of the guide very well.

@Andreirf 
1) As the guide progress (and it already has quite a bit) more images and diagrams will be placed to complement the text.

2) That is one of the additions in the guide for the next published version. Here's the cliffnotes version (disclaimer: a very basic example of the order you would want to build a setup. The guide will go into all the detail you need and things to look for or mistakes to avoid): install lap with reference setup or initial setup based on track config and conditions and perform any changes for any immediate issues, wings & tyre pressures, suspension & ride height, anti-roll bars. Suspension geometry, brakes and differential are either personal preference or limited in-game to fine tuning that it prevents any absurd mistakes. Weight distribution is usually static to whatever you like with minor adjustments track to track if needed.

3) It's in the plans to discuss that aspect of setups somewhere in the guide. Will probably be covered in the future under 'track specific setup suggestions' more than likely. And for Monaco I personally set my car for aero understeer and slight oversteer on mechanical grip.

@Xyadas - I think that I understand now - my only experience of understanding diffs is in karting (obviously they dont have any diffs, so it is like having a totally locked diff). Am I correct in saying that with a locked diff, it will understeer and then you may get a snap of oversteer once the tyres give up grip. whereas with a unlocked diff it will oversteer on a continual basis, but this will be easier to control the oversteer as the slide or drift is more predictable. Once again, I may have got this wrong, but thank you very much for explaining in more detail - it is much appreciated :)

@Foreverchamps that is correct! Generally speaking for F1 cars you would want coast (off throttle) side higher than power side, but driving styles may change the gap or even reverse it.

@Andreirf  coming not in the next published version but in the near future. Anything specific you're looking for?

@Xyadas I don't understand how the game is calculating the time and the strategy for tires. It happens that my tyres wear off faster than the strategy that is suggested me by the game.

@Andreirf You need to have personalized data to get calculations done for race strategy. The "projected" is just a guesstimate made up back at HQ if you will. If you run the tyre management programme with all three specs you will get data on your laptimes and wear for each of them and thus the game will be able to calculate a race strategy based on your data. I personally run one tyre management programme in each free practice session starting with the hardest spec and finishing with the softest spec in FP3.

thanks for that, tips there that I have not got from watching all the F1 real races back to 2007.

(I am struggling but getting there with the G27 wheel, OR my car settings)

it would be nice if codemasters allowed for custom controller inputs for a lot of these in game settings (like PCARS does).

Xyadas said:
@Andreirf You need to have personalized data to get calculations done for race strategy. The "projected" is just a guesstimate made up back at HQ if you will. If you run the tyre management programme with all three specs you will get data on your laptimes and wear for each of them and thus the game will be able to calculate a race strategy based on your data. I personally run one tyre management programme in each free practice session starting with the hardest spec and finishing with the softest spec in FP3.
But how can I run tyre management programme in online session or quick session? I'm not speaking about career. 

I can easily beat the projected strategies as far as wear and average times go. They are extremely conservative in my opinion. I'll look into getting some tyre wear information into the next update.

The guide is very helpful, I've used it to work on some new setups to try so thanks for taking the time to put it together.

A quick question with regards to the on throttle diff. During a race when the rear tyres are worn, would you usually increase of decrease the diff locking to help compensate? Also when it rains during a race, which way should I be looking to move it while driving? I've had a play around with it in the game but I'm struggling to tell which is most beneficial to be honest.

My personal rule of thumb is to run the diff locking as strong as possible without becoming impossible to drive. If needed I would incrementally dial it back through a run. I also may adjust it a few times throughout the lap if I really really need every hundredth of a second. The rain is a fun one. I personally find it more predictable to run the locking higher in the rain.