Sign in to follow this  

GRID Autosport Steam Error Code 2

Question

I got myself a Season Pass, happy that I will be able to race on Silverstone and Donnington but... nope. At first the game had went into an endless loop of selecting which version of GRID Autosport I want to run, aka the "PLAY button". Once I've run file verification, it started throwing up "Finishing Installation 1%" after which it throws up "Steam Error Code 2".

So far I've went through those things (found throughout multiple forum threads and videos and general troubleshooting IT methods):
- verify the game cache (multiple times)
- flush the Steam cache
- move Steam to C: drive
- add "Users" to Steam folder Security settings
- re-install Visual Studio
- run Steam in administrator mode
- run both GRID Autosport exe's in administrator mode
- turn off anti-virus
- uninstall anti-virus
- install back anti-virus
- spam the desktop icon in hopes of forcing the game to run (jokes on you, but that did work quite a few times with other games)
- run chkdsk to see if file integration is ok
- de-select all the DLCs
- currently in the process of re-downloading all the DLCs (including High-res texture pack)

Possible solution: Run the system in Safe Mode with networking enabled. Let the game install, run it, close it and go back. Game should be working perfectly now.

Right now my rating of the Season Pass is -8001/10, as it made a perfectly playable game completely unplayable. Hoping this will change in the very nearby future.

Other info:
Windows 10 64-bit (Anniversary update installed)
i5-3570k 3,6GHz (OC@4,2GHz)
GTX 670 2GB
2x4GB DDR3

8 answers to this question

I'm having exactly the same issue.

GAS was working fine before Anniversary update, for Windows 10. After i did the update, i keep getting Error 2, when launching GAS and nothing seems to fix it.

Windows 10 x64 (Anniversary update installed) <- Pretty sure it was this what broke game

i7 4700HQ 2,4Ghz

GTX 870m 3GB

16GB RAM

Alf72 said:

Windows 10 x64 (Anniversary update installed) <- Pretty sure it was this what broke game

Funnily enough, people are having the same issue throughout multiple games... and not having Windows 10. I asked a friend who also has Win10 with the Anniversary update installed, and he can launch the game perfectly, although yesterday he had to verify the game cache to make it work. I've even create a Steam Support ticket for this, as according to Steam installation code errors, Error 2 should be reported directly to them.
Superd00ps said:
From Steam,...delete the game and reinstall.
I'll be brutally honest, I'm not going to waste 16GB of my data plan just to find out that this won't help. Unless you want to sponsor extra 10GB, then sure.

Ok, I've tried few more fixes that I found, along with few more game cache verifications and they all failed... apart from one.

Run the game in safe mode with networking and let the game install and run. To do that, open msconfig (windows key + R and type "msconfig"), select second tab (probably Launch, not running English Windows, so apologies for lack of good translation) and then select "Safe mode" and "Networking". Reboot.
Then simply launch the game through Steam, let it install and voila, should work.

I was honestly surprised this would work, but apparently Safe Mode is still OP, regardless of the Windows version (how many issues with XP drivers could've been fixed by just going into safe mode).

Hope this helps.

To be honest, it's not the game, it's Steam that's giving you the 'Error Code 2'. The only reliable way of getting rid of it is...........a fresh reinstall of Windows. Something gets buried in the registry to do with an Administrator setting because of the way Steam works and this then prevents a game from running if it encounters a permissions error, which results in giving a Steam 'Error Code 2'. Steam works as a service and thus has administrator privileges and games usually do not, hence the error if something goes wrong.

Okay, not good news, but I have decided to take a proper look at it since I encountered it for the first time and I couldn't get a game running and had to result to resorting to an earlier OS image, reinstalled Steam and the game in question and this alone cured the problem.

I may just take a copy of the registry and then break a game to get the Error Code 2 and then compare both copies of registry and try and find where the problem lies as surely there must be a way of solving these 'Error Code 2' issues without having to reinstall Windows.

Ryu Makkuro's procedure is a good thing to try, nice of you to post something else to try.

Rapster said:
Ryu Makkuro's procedure is a good thing to try, nice of you to post something else to try.
Safe Mode is a good way to go around any registry related issues, since it doesn't really load it, at least not fully. It's just the necessary bits needed to run OS.

Rapster said:
Safe Mode is a good way to go around any registry related issues, since it doesn't really load it, at least not fully. It's just the necessary bits needed to run OS.
The registry is fully 'available' if you start in Normal or if you start in Safe Mode, the difference is in which drivers/services it loads and Windows in Safe Mode allows default elevated privileges, that's why you may end up having less problems if it is a privilege/security issue.

Yours is still a good thing to try as it isn't a destructive technique.

However! Steam, after a long 8 (yes, eight) or so years has decided to fix the 'Error Code 2' issue!

Steam thread:

RESOLVED: Steam Error 2 - Windows 10 Anniversary Update 

So, it seems that Valve only fixes bugs in the Steam client after tens of thousands people have the error and not just a few, because hey, why should they, huh...?

And it only took them 4 (four) or so hours.

So, apparently that's why last night, out of the blue without me fixing anything, when i launched the game again it worked.

I saw Ryu fix here and before i give a go and try it, i went back to Steam and decided to try launch GAS once again. First try it failed, tried to launch again and... GAS started to install ( every time i launched game it was stuck at 1% instalation and giving me error #2 ). After the instalation completed, GAS worked and has been working without any issue, so far.

Alf72, cool!

Glad it worked! Hopefully, it should be okay with all games now and I certainly hope we've seen the last of that error.

To be honest, I'm very disappointed with Valve/Steam for not fixing this years ago. Although I have only been affected by this issue once and was able to rectify quite quickly, I have tried to help people over the years with this issue and have read as people have metaphorically torn out hair trying to resolve this issue which Valve/Steam managed to fix in a few hours. I can well imagine that it was the sheer number of games and people affected this time that they finally looked into the problem and fixed it.

This says a lot about Valve and the way they view their customers.