F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

If you had to pick one F1 driver to win who whould it be.

bigfatmee said:
jumping into rons McLaren team was pretty good support too tho lol but like that 14 year old Californian girl said " WHATEVER"

Hard to compare because Lewis had to perform well in the lower classes to get that seat. Ron's not his daddy either if I'm not mistaken. 

bigfatmee said:
jumping into rons McLaren team was pretty good support too tho lol but like that 14 year old Californian girl said " WHATEVER"

Hard to compare because Lewis had to perform well in the lower classes to get that seat. Ron's not his daddy either if I'm not mistaken. 

agreed Lewis may have been funded by McLaren but he still had to produce results and he did so deserves his place in F1

He didn't really have it hard in F1 at the start though, like Vettel, Alonso or Raikkonen. He jumped straight into a winning car.

Poor Raikkonen for arriving in a top team only in his 2nd season.

Poor Vettel for arriving in a winner team in his 2nd full season which then went on to dominate F1 more or less in 4 years.

:(

Both had to prove themselves in a below par car first. Are you mentally challenged? You cannot dispute what I said. 

Raikkonen in 1 year proved his worth (some what against the odds) and got a McLaren drive and Vettel managed to pull off some great results in a Toro Rosso and got promoted to Red Bull. Sorry if you don't like it, it is a fact. Buemi didn't prove himself, and didn't get promoted, Ricciardo did and got rewarded. Is that hard to see for you or something?

So I suppose Hamilton didn't have to prove himself before he got his ride in a McLaren?

Are you suggesting, if Lewis had started in a worse team he would have never made it to a top team?

How can you flag that for abuse? You must be the easiest person on Earth to insult. 

They gambled when they promoted him, they didn't know he'd turn out to be a good driver, they took a risk and it paid off.

No, when did I say that? Putting words in my mouth. I'm saying, Hamilton never proved himself in a lesser car before he got his chance at a top team, like a fair  amount of other top drivers have done now and in the past. 

AMS97KRR said:

No, when did I say that? Putting words in my mouth. I'm saying, Hamilton never proved himself in a lesser car before he got his chance at a top team, like a fair  amount of other top drivers have done now and in the past. 

Then this is just another lame attempt to look for anything negative to talk about I suppose? Because, you know, if a driver's got the talent, it shouldn't really matter if he started off in a midfield car or not.

What difference does it make that he got straight into a top team like McLaren? Isn't it even more difficult up there with all those expectations regardless of your experience? McLaren gave him the chance because they wanted him to deliver, which he did. He lost out to a far more experienced guy by 1 point.

Hamilton was not in a position where he could afford to not finish his first 5 races of the season without any consequences as Vettel did in his first full season in 2008, most of the time due to his own fault. If anything, Hamilton's first two season at McLaren were far more astonishing than Vettel's 2007 and 2008 seasons pressure-wise. Battling for points and battling for the WDC are two completely different situations to find yourself in, as they say, it's on top where the air gets thinner and thinner. 

So yeah, to sum up: You're clutching at straws for whatever reason. Probably frustration about Vettel once again losing out to Daniel and Seb's reputation crumbling faster than the PiCK UP!-Cookie I'm about to eat while being amused by your comments.

I'm not saying Hamilton isn't talented at all, I am just saying.

Anyway, he wasn't expected to win the title in 2007. they just wanted a decent first season, they probably would have been happy with some podiums and a 4th place in the WDC. 

Vettel's 2008 win in the STR is better than Hamiltons first win, hands down. Vettel  nearly robbed Hamilton of the title in 2008 and finished well in the races after the first 5. 

"You're clutching at straws for whatever reason. Probably frustration about Vettel once again losing out to Daniel and Seb's reputation crumbling faster than the PiCK UP!-Cookie I'm about to eat while being amused by your comments"

I'm not really frustrated at all. Most reasonable human beings understand that people have ups and downs and this year just isn't Vettels year, just like 2011 wasn't Hamiltons and that 2008 wasn't Raikkonens. Raikkonen was nowhere in the second half of 2008 and first bit of 2009, yet in 2012 he came back better than he was then and in 2013 looked just as good. Give it a couple of years and then we'll see where everyone stands, far too early to judge now. Ricciardo could fade away next year into obscurity while Vettel is winning. But of course, if that happens then we all know what people will say.

Can't say I care about most people's opinion on certain drivers as 90% of commenters on various sites (PF1 being by far the worst) are too deluded and blinded by their own fanboyism to see things reasonably. Things are great right now for Vettel, but time will tell, you can't write off 5/6 years (2007-2013 was on the whole, good) of good driving based on half a season, especially because of the new cars being radically different. 

@AMS97KRR‌ 

How was Hamilton's first win worse than Vettel's? Sure, Vettel had to cope with the wet but he was never really challenged, whilst Hamilton had 4 (?) SC restarts to deal with.

Wet weather is far harder than some SC restarts, Vettel has had to deal with those before too.

Well I think Ricciardo's first win was better than both Hamilton and Vettel because Ricciardo is boss...

7-3 in qualifying
7-1 in races
100- minus 80 in reputation

And in comparison to the Mercedes-duel

6-4 in favour of Rosberg in qualifying
5-4 in favour of Hamilton in races

Nico, is a Silver Spoon Fed brat...He's only German due to his parents, he grew up living the life in Monoco. Lewis Hamilton is a true Racer. But the Rivalry almost reminds me of Hunt, and Lauda. 

I wish there was a SMH-tag you could click on for posts like these.

7-3 in qualifying
7-1 in races
100- minus 80 in reputation

And in comparison to the Mercedes-duel

6-4 in favour of Rosberg in qualifying
5-4 in favour of Hamilton in races

It isn't 7-1 in races. 

Australia - Vettel (Retired with issues, issues in Quali)

Malaysia - Vettel (Ricciardo retired, although he was behind anyway close to the end)

Bahrain - Ricciardo

China- Ricciardo 

Spain - Ricciardo (Vettel retired from Quali)

Monaco - Ricciardo (Vettel DNF'd while ahead + Issues in Quali )

Canada - Ricciardo

Austria - Ricciardo (Vettel retired)

Britain - Ricciardo 

Germany - Vettel 

Statistically it is 7-3 but Vettel has retired 3 times right near the start of the race so really it should be more like 4-3. 

Monaco -  probably would have been 1 point to Vettel over Ric due to the nature of the track.

Austria - no reason why he couldn't have beaten Ric, although nothing suggests he would have

Australia - Probably wouldn't have, but Ricciardo was running an illegal car so he got DSQ'd anyway. 

Then in Britain, Red Bull have an awesome strategy for Vettel which puts him behind Ric.

But whatever right?

I never get why people insist on putting Vettel ahead in Australia. I don't care how the FIA ranks DNFs and DSQs- Ricciardo did the full race distance while Vettel did around five laps; any reasonable person would give that point to Daniel. So the score really is 4-2.

AMS97KRR said:

But whatever right?

You realise you are just asking to be flamed with baiting comments like that.

yugin96 said:

I never get why people insist on putting Vettel ahead in Australia. I don't care how the FIA ranks DNFs and DSQs- Ricciardo did the full race distance while Vettel did around five laps; any reasonable person would give that point to Daniel. So the score really is 4-2.

AMS97KRR said:

But whatever right?

You realise you are just asking to be flamed with baiting comments like that.

I don't care, he always has to be right, even when he is clearly wrong. If I asked why Hamilton was behind in standings it is either "DNF'S DUE TO ISSUES!!!" OR "MERCEDES SABOTAGE!" if I ask why Vettel is behind it is always "RICCIARDO IS A BEAST M8, VETTEL IS A FRAUD AND SLOW"

To be honest, I wouldn't even count Australia, but if people are going to count Austria and Monaco, I am going to count Australia. Out of 8 races it is 5-3, not counting Australia it is 5-2. I accept that Vettel has been out done a little, but not by much and not as often as the stats would have you believe. Britain and Canada are examples of strategy going against him and instead for Ricciardo, although full credit goes to Ricciardo for his excellent performances in this season.

Discounting the races you mentioned that Vettel has had problems in, it's 4-2. Still a pretty big margin when you view the battle as 4-time WDC vs young teammate in his first season in a top team.

Enough of this, though- it's off topic anyway.

One last point I'd like to make on that - Vettel has had less track time than Ricciardo so you have to take that into consideration.

AMS97KRR said:

One last point I'd like to make on that - Vettel has had less track time than Ricciardo so you have to take that into consideration.

Sorry, but you do realise that Sebastian Vettel is a 4 time world champion, ranked equal 3rd on the all time championship winners list, with 39 wins, 64 podiums, 45 poles and 23 fastest laps? We're over half way through the season now so Vettel should be completely used to the cars now. That's a frankly ridiculous point and that makes no difference to my thoughts. 

Daniel Ricciardo has been in F1 for two years at, lets be honest, a lower midfield team and now he's come into Vettel's back yard and Dan is really making Seb look rather average to be quite honest. Yes Vettel has had his times where he has been better (Malaysia, today) but that's expected of a four time world champion. 

At the half way stage of the season Ricciardo has had 4 podiums compared to 2 for Vettel (should be 5 to 2), one win compared to none, he's got better qualifying positions for the majority of this season, against the man they say is a qualifying master, and he's got more points, so he's above him in the championship. Ricciardo is doing a stellar job this season and I really hope he beats Vettel at the end of the season, because he completely deserves it.

i'd agree with that guy when he said it reminds him of the battle between hunt and lauda,,, rather than the battle between prost and senna as neither of the 2 are anywhere near the calibre of prost or senna. now if it was Alonso and Vettel fighting for this championship it would be epic, 2 of the very best ever! I truly think that given the right car Alonso could have been the greatest ever, im pretty sure vettel will beat schumachers records but I think too much time has gone by for Alonso to beat them now and its a real shame as he is clearly the best out there just now and with a dominant car he could do a marc marquez and do a clean sweep from every race in 1 year.