Sign in to follow this  

will the release date ever be renegotiated?

lets cut straight to the point, it sucks that the game doesn't get released until the end of the season. will codemaster ever try to release the game closer to the start of the season?

in the past the excuse of getting the cars all to real life pace and seeing who won what, who was fastest was the aim but seeing as its never been achieved then why not consider releasing the game closer to the season start. last year we knew seb had won the title before the game was even released. when i say its never been achieved look at 2012, 7 drivers won the first 7 races yet you try winning in the Williams on 2012 car settings and its impossible, unless you race low ranked ai. in a Williams  play against a friend of equal ability in the Ferrari in Barcelona where the Williams won that year and you will find that you cant win, the car just doesn't have the pace yet it won there in real life. which makes my point even more valid i would say.

be very interested in what the dev team think of this or will it always be released so late into the season.

It does suck that the game isn't released earlier. I doubt that it'll ever be changed (drastically anyway) because that would mean cutting the development cycle short. Performance can always be tweaked via patches anyway.

lets cut straight to the point, it sucks that the game doesn't get released until the end of the season. will codemaster ever try to release the game closer to the start of the season?

Yes. It's obviously the ideal time frame for both of us, but there's a lot of things that need to fall in to place before we look at making such a drastic change. And there's simply no guessing to when that will be. 

so codies do at least think it would be ideal to release the game earlier, I really hope something can be done about that.  as an example and im sure a lot of people would agree, why not take the 2010 approach  with 2014, and release the next game in 2015. I mean CM had the license and could have released a game in 2009 but chose to pay for the license for that year and release a game in 2010, which turned out to be the best selling F1 game and won numerous awards which was well deserved, unfortunately in my own personal opinion the game has gone downhill since then, mainly in gameplay but I do admit the graphics have improved slightly.

Do you think that kind of approach would be considered Hatta?

I kind of thought about this as well, but there are obvious issues.

First, how are you going to get all the technical detail on the car ready ? None of the car designers surely are going to want to reveal their aero tweaks until the very last minute.

Next how are you going to make the performance square up with the actual performance if you don't know what that's going to be ?

So to me it is impossible to release at the start of the season without some compromise of reality. The cars won't look like the real ones, and the performance won't be the real ones. The question is is this worth having a more synchronised release date ? Everyone has probably got a different preference on this.

dirt3joe said:
I kind of thought about this as well, but there are obvious issues.

First, how are you going to get all the technical detail on the car ready ? None of the car designers surely are going to want to reveal their aero tweaks until the very last minute.

Next how are you going to make the performance square up with the actual performance if you don't know what that's going to be ?

So to me it is impossible to release at the start of the season without some compromise of reality. The cars won't look like the real ones, and the performance won't be the real ones. The question is is this worth having a more synchronised release date ? Everyone has probably got a different preference on this.
I agree I think it may be possible to move the release date to earlier un the year maybe August but any earlier would almost certainly compromise the quality and realistic effect of the game but even if they released then they'd be pushing their luck ghiven ther e would still effectively be 1/2 the season to go and the second half may feel unrealistic because of that

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer the Fall release. If usually comes out a month or two before the holiday season is in full-swing. But more importantly it gives CM time to actually view the season and possibly make some tweaks to team performance and similar attributes.

Plus, if we want to see F1 released at the beginning of the season, we would have to wait 1.5 years  at some point in order to get onto that cycle.

SynGamer said:
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer the Fall release. If usually comes out a month or two before the holiday season is in full-swing. But more importantly it gives CM time to actually view the season and possibly make some tweaks to team performance and similar attributes.

Plus, if we want to see F1 released at the beginning of the season, we would have to wait 1.5 years  at some point in order to get onto that cycle.
yeah I'd prefer to leave it where it is too as it's a good time fo yearly release games what with Fifa releasing then too

SynGamer said:

Totally agree with you.

I'd prefer if they wait until the end of the season as usual and spend that extra time polishing and getting it right.

its 2014 not 1994 im pretty sure little tweaks and polishes could be done through patches or updates.  I just think it would be better to play along with the real season. car liveries could be updated after the first day in austrailia, we know now who has the pace with being at 3 different circuits, I mean we all know either lewis or nico will win the championship, Mercedes will win the constructors, all the Mercedes engine cars have pace, red bull have pace, Ferrari and the rest don't really have the pace so why cant it just be tweaked via a patch or an update, especially now using next gen technology. now the actual designing of the game for the new consoles will take time so why not give them a few months extra, forget about the 2014 game and focus on a march release on next gen only for 2015.

good to see we are getting lots of different opinions :)

its 2014 not 1994 im pretty sure little tweaks and polishes could be done through patches or updates.  I just think it would be better to play along with the real season. car liveries could be updated after the first day in austrailia, we know now who has the pace with being at 3 different circuits, I mean we all know either lewis or nico will win the championship, Mercedes will win the constructors, all the Mercedes engine cars have pace, red bull have pace, Ferrari and the rest don't really have the pace so why cant it just be tweaked via a patch or an update, especially now using next gen technology. now the actual designing of the game for the new consoles will take time so why not give them a few months extra, forget about the 2014 game and focus on a march release on next gen only for 2015.

maybe the licensing itself plays a part in that too besides they can'r just forget about 2014 because they're contracted to do a game for 2014

I'd like them to skip 2014 on next gen, which would then surely give them enough time to get F1 2015 out on PS4 & Xbox One at around June/July.
The current Moto GP game managed a June release last year.

The game should come out around mid season. Plenty of time to fine tune performance levels which should be the last tweak they do. And do a scenario mode where we can choose our favourite driver and race the 2nd half of the season with real life standings.

maybe the licensing itself plays a part in that too besides they can'r just forget about 2014 because they're contracted to do a game for 2014

just because they have the license does not mean they have to release a game, as I said in my original post codies got the license for 2009 but chose to wait until 2010 to release the first game multi-platform so it would be possible in that regard, I think :) lol

imagine the shareholders face when they told them " yeah we just spent all your money on a license for this years game but we aint releasing a game til next year" ouch but codies knew best and came up with there best racing game so far. I have high hopes for next gen I really hope they can pull it off and keep it going year on year.

Lukedfrt said:
I'd like them to skip 2014 on next gen, which would then surely give them enough time to get F1 2015 out on PS4 & Xbox One at around June/July.
The current Moto GP game managed a June release last year.
i'd still like it earlier than that although it would be better than September, it was October last year due to the release of GTA V and that was even worse. the sales really took a pounding last year tho I don't think that was all to do with the late release.

just because they have the license does not mean they have to release a game, as I said in my original post codies got the license for 2009 but chose to wait until 2010 to release the first game multi-platform so it would be possible in that regard, I think :) lol

imagine the shareholders face when they told them " yeah we just spent all your money on a license for this years game but we aint releasing a game til next year" ouch but codies knew best and came up with there best racing game so far. I have high hopes for next gen I really hope they can pull it off and keep it going year on year.

who's to say though they weren't already working on 2014c back when they weer preparing 2013 for release though besides 2010 was the first of the series everything had to be built from scratch then i9t doesn't now unless they're using san entirely new engine and even if they are they're probably not in a position where they have to skip a year to perfect it.

To be honest, I think the game should be released between the end of October and Middle of November. That gives Codemasters more time to perfect the game.

Ideally the game would come out earlier but I think if you look at it realistically the date they have now is the only option.

I suspect getting all the season and tweaking the performance is not the hard bit. It's adding everything else to the game, the features, the step up in quality with regards to things like handling and AI. They are struggling how it is to release the game on a yearly basis whilst still moving things forward and I think it would be very difficult for them to make the time frame even shorter.

Magic01 said:

Ideally the game would come out earlier but I think if you look at it realistically the date they have now is the only option.

I suspect getting all the season and tweaking the performance is not the hard bit. It's adding everything else to the game, the features, the step up in quality with regards to things like handling and AI. They are struggling how it is to release the game on a yearly basis whilst still moving things forward and I think it would be very difficult for them to make the time frame even shorter.

I agree Sept early October is probably the best they can do it

who's to say though they weren't already working on 2014c back when they weer preparing 2013 for release though besides 2010 was the first of the series everything had to be built from scratch then i9t doesn't now unless they're using san entirely new engine and even if they are they're probably not in a position where they have to skip a year to perfect it.
the engine was up and running another game so not exactly start from scratch, I do hope they are building a new engine for next gen. you know I dream about F1 with frostbite technology >-)

I'm glad there's a topic on this, I completely agree the release schedule should be changed at some point. 

In an ideal world, 2014 will get released on PS4/XOne normally this year in Sep/Oct. Then either skip 2015 or merely release a game that only updates rosters, liveries etc. with no gameplay changes before ultimately releasing 2016 in May/June and then update teams at a couple of points throughout the season. Every other successful sports game at the moment does this so I'm surprised CM haven't aimed for it already.

don't say skip a year people get all agitated :) lol but yeah I agree in principle the release date should be much earlier in the year and updated or patched during the season

the engine was up and running another game so not exactly start from scratch, I do hope they are building a new engine for next gen. you know I dream about F1 with frostbite technology >-)
well techinically it was true the engine had run other racing gamers but it hadn't run F1 before 2010 had it so it strill needed programming in hence the start from scratch which I mentioned

do you think if they released the game earlier it would bring back the 1.5 million customers they lost over the last 2 years?