F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Online connection issues - GRID autosport

I have a really good wifi connection but whenever I play online, the AI drivers as well as my friends turn transparent back to normal very often. This is very annoying because it's hard to avoid crashing as it's difficult where to gauge where the other cars are. This doesn't appear to be a problem with the derby races online though.. just the other racing disciplines. Can anyone explain this or can relate to this problem? Thanks!

get off wifi, id bet its that causing your issues.

I once decided to move my tower system to such a place where the network cable was troublesome to route to.
So, wireless i went....BF3 was the game of choice at the time.

Well, after a wee while, i noticed  i would rubber band quite a bit....i would be walkin along....then suddenly i would go back several steps and have to walk again those steps i had just taken.

So i put the network cable back in and all was good with the world again.

Its my bet that youre suffering the same thing....and the only fix for you is going to be to use a cable.

It looks like the wifi connection you have [and i had] dosent have the bandwidth to cope with gaming data rates.

ps...not downloading at the same time are you? because that wouldnt help either!

I sometime play Fighting games time to time. I'm picky with my connection. Wired & have to be low ping with minimal with a decent upload rate. I don't bother much with the download rate. When you host you need a good upload rate.

Wifi add extra latency. It can be as bad as 200ms~ more just the wifi alone. It's about 2 cars length at 200km/h I think.

Wifi is not an acceptable as a connection for action gaming in my opinion.

Wired is preferable but if its not possible then...

...I play on PS3 (not sure what system you're on) but if it is PS3 it may be worth putting it into the DMZ on your router.  This will effectively give you a direct connection to the internet bypassing your routers firewall giving a faster connection.  
DO NOT do this if you are a PC user (I'm not sure about XBox) as your PC will be vulnerable to hacks/viruses etc.

Not everyone is happy putting the PS3 in DMZ so if you're not comfortable with this then at least look at the following link and update the TCP/UDP ports on your router so your PS3 can use them.  Look at Wheelers entry on July 4th:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/557/unable-to-connect-to-racenet-ps3

It could also be worth while changing the wifi channel on your router as it may be set to auto.  If neighbours are using channels within 2 channels of what you're using it could have an impact.  I believe channels 1, 6 and 11 are considered the optimum but experiment to see what, if any, helps.

There are also Latency Fixes available on PC that try and improve your network traffic.  Examples are below but I have not tried these so you'll need to do your own research as many other such solutions are probably available.  I am just making you aware such tools exist but I have no idea how effective or safe they are so use at your own risk:

An option of last resort may be considering a dual band router (but make sure you exhaust any free options before paying out cash).  They work on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  5ghz is less crowded than 2.4ghz so should be better for heavier traffic.  You should be able to run the two channels concurrently on the latest routers or set up the 2.4ghz for less busy devices and the 5ghz for gaming/streaming.  I should note that my PS3 can't see my 5ghz channel but all of my PC's can.

I hope some of this is useful.

Raylion said:
Wired is preferable but if its not possible then...

...I play wireless on PS3 (not sure what system you're on) but if it is PS3 it may be worth putting it into the DMZ on your router.  This will effectively give you a direct connection to the internet bypassing your routers firewall giving a faster connection.  
DO NOT do this if you are a PC user (I'm not sure about XBox) as your PC will be vulnerable to hacks/viruses etc.

Not everyone is happy putting the PS3 in DMZ so if you're not comfortable with this then at least look at the following link and update the TCP/UDP ports on your router so your PS3 can use them.  Look at Wheelers entry on July 4th:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/557/unable-to-connect-to-racenet-ps3

It could also be worth while changing the wifi channel on your router as it may be set to auto.  If neighbours are using channels within 2 channels of what you're using it could have an impact.  I believe channels 1, 6 and 11 are considered the optimum but experiment to see what, if any, helps.

There are also Latency Fixes available on PC that try and improve your network traffic.  Examples are below but I have not tried these so you'll need to do your own research as many other such solutions are probably available.  I am just making you aware such tools exist but I have no idea how effective or safe they are so use at your own risk:

An option of last resort may be considering a dual band router (but make sure you exhaust any free options before paying out cash).  They work on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  5ghz is less crowded than 2.4ghz so should be better for heavier traffic.  You should be able to run the two channels concurrently on the latest routers or set up the 2.4ghz for less busy devices and the 5ghz for gaming/streaming.  I should note that my PS3 can't see my 5ghz channel but all of my PC's can.

I hope some of this is useful.
Very informative post.   Thanks! 
B-) 

Good info presented, but from my experience nothing beats a hardline connection. Wi-fi isn't the way to go unless you have direct line of sight to the router and you have a very strong connection with a very powerful router. If it has to go through even a thin object to get there, then it's already got packet loss (the evil that causes lag on Wi-fi).

If you can run a cable then do it, even a 10m cable beats a 20cm Wi-fi connection.