F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Upgrades and tuning off.

I was just wondering, if you turn upgrades and tuning off does it actually balance your car out to stock or does it have your upgrades on but you can't change them?

I was just wondering, if you turn upgrades and tuning off does it actually balance your car out to stock or does it have your upgrades on but you can't change them?
I think it just generally makes you slower as I definitely set faster laptimes when they're active

It would no sense at all to leave them turned on..

Its just too bad that you cant filter for upgrades and tuning off for cusom cup :\

Some of the guys I play with and myself have been trying to work it out because it's pretty difficult to tell if the actual upgrades make a huge difference

I have the feeling, the don't make any (positive) difference at all. I just did a couple of practice laps with a Cruze at Mont Tremblant (Short, like current Formula-Challenge). Without engine upgrades (did no setup) I was able to do way more consistent AND faster laptimes than with all 3 upgrades installed. 
Consistent = within 2 tenths
With upgrades I was within 5-6 tenths and was at least 1 tenth off of my best lap w/o upgrades. Maybe they need a proper setup to really work well.

I have noticed a difference, if you run flat out on an oval like Indy. The top speed is higher & the corner speed is higher too. 

What I did with a few cars like V8 Supers & Cat A tourer's is when I got the flywheel unlocked was basically started over with the tuning and looked for the "sweet-spot" of what I like the car to do. Like it worked before adding the upgrade. When I change adjustments I will usually do 1 adjustment at a time. This way of tuning takes the longest but it generally delivers the best results.

Also if you are racing instead of doing time attacks it is usually better to go on the more stable side. Because you will not always get the ideal racing line. So running side by side with another racer is usually easier. 

There are way way way too many players out there than cannot race. Sure if they are by themselves they can put up some quick times. But as soon as someone gets in the way, the only way they know how to deal with this is to either push somebody out of the way or they wreck & retire  because they cannot "race" someone else. Or they cannot be bothered to be patient enough to get around someone clean. Also imho these are the same people that cannot accept getting passed by someone else so they block them and wreck & retire because they lost too many places.

Sorry I went off on a tangent but, it is just something I had to get out of my system.

Hi!

I never had a car reacing level 50 so I was not able to test this 100%, but it seems to me that if you only buy the performance packs, you dont improve and can even get worse (touring cars, others dont know). But if you buy the setup packs, even if you dont change the values from default, cars seem to get quicker... I am guessing that to have bigger impacts (although I have a feeling that will never be massive improvements), you will have to max out both packs and then actually set setup options.

Cya!

Rogério

I haven't got a car to level 50 yet so not done the engine upgrade, but I've done the rest of them on quite a few cars and flywheel, clutch,brakes and weight and never notice the difference or rarely. I'll do the time attack challenges and get a good time in my stock car level it up some and try to improve my time only to find my ghost still neck a neck with me on a straight with no improved acceleration. I'm not a total idiot I'm inside top 15 on party mode last week and this week and was rank 16 on the Lola challenge last week (ps3)

You can test the upgrades in custom cup mode (offline). The cars are new (100%) and you can enable/disable all upgrades.

@crazehayes1984
Except for gear ratio and downforce I hardly see any laptime difference. BUT the feeling of the car changes.
Take the old Dodge Charger for example (from the recent tuning challenge). W/o TC this car is a b*tch out of corners. Change suspension to soft and you get way more grip; the car gets easier to control. I think setup should be done how you like your car, nothing else. Some peolpe like understeer, some oversteer, some a perfectly neutral car. Every one will driver faster, when the car is setup to HIS needs, not to A 'perfect' setup. Except, as said, Gear Ratios and Downforce. Driving Bathurst or Spa with longer GR will most times hand you a race win, as you can go 20-50km/h faster (depending on the car).

@Photonik
Can you explain better the procedure to test the cars? You mean Custom Cup in Single Player?

Thanks in advance!

Rogério

@photonik thanks for tip on spa, I did this for golf on last weeks challenge to short gears and it got me to 15th or so on leaderboard

@VGSpeedPro
Yes, choose custom cup in single player, set training to 20mins, choose car and track and go.
I just do training then and skip the race. It's unfortunate, that it is only 20mins, but well, CM always did a nice presentation and forgot to think properly about some things, that might be useful for the player. :D
I hate it though, that you set a time in training, go back to change setup and that previous time is 'gone', not saved. So remember that, if you want to compare times with different setups.

My level 38 brake and flywheel upgraded BMW 320 was slower and harder to drive than loaned 83% Cruze at Racenet Challange. I think that should be fixed.

Or developers and pro gamers should written down their ideal tuning settings.

I tried this out And i came down to the conclusion that every time you put a upgrade on you have to tweek the tuning a bit to counter it, My mazda rz7 is alot faster with the upgrades on  and the optimised  tuning in place, but if i take all the upgrades off the car the car handles terrible with the optimised tuning setup so its a bit delicate.

So yeah, mix and match. Right upgrades with the right tuning.

It's the same with real cars. You make it go faster, you need the handling and brakes to support it. You can't just do an upgrade, and expect the car to act the same, just faster.