Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please fix that horrible high pitched "whistling" sound.

It's not bad sound design, we watch onboards for a lap or so on the TV and probably don't notice it as much, but when you're playing it for a full race weekend, the sound is a little distracting.  Could do with toning it down a bit.

Playing on JBL studio monitors

Just leave the sound how it is, it's realistic and that's how it needs to stay regardless on if it's annoying or not it's how the cars sound so it shouldn't be changed

I can't believe there are this many people complaining about real life car sounds. 

Codies - you worked so hard on the sound this year and it's fantastic. So immersive. Please don't pander to people who don't know what an F1 car sounds like. 

Sashy83 said:
Just leave the sound how it is, it's realistic and that's how it needs to stay regardless on if it's annoying or not it's how the cars sound so it shouldn't be changed

milook said:
I can't believe there are this many people complaining about real life car sounds. 

Codies - you worked so hard on the sound this year and it's fantastic. So immersive. Please don't pander to people who don't know what an F1 car sounds like. 
Ditto!

Codemasters have made a great game and to see they take feedback on this forum serious is even greater. I personally understand that part loves the sound and part doesn't love the sound. I don't see a problem in adding a an option to lower or disable the high pitch sound when accelerating. In that way everybody is happy, also the people with sensitive ears to high pitch noise or people that have tinnitus. As David said, look for a solution that makes everybody happy.

I have no problem with the turbo sound it's just the beeping sound you get that tells you when to upshift which you can turn off in the advanced audio settings.

I have no problem with the turbo sound it's just the beeping sound you get that tells you when to upshift which you can turn off in the advanced audio settings.
Please don't tell me that's what these guys are complaining about...

I also don't like the sounds, or rather 1 specific item in the sounds, there seems to be this rattling noice on top of the normal engine sound that is quite irritating. I hope they can fix that in one of the patches.

Encarnia said:
I also don't like the sounds, or rather 1 specific item in the sounds, there seems to be this rattling noice on top of the normal engine sound that is quite irritating. I hope they can fix that in one of the patches.
Do you even know that the sound your are referring to isn't specific to the car you're driving?

For instance, is that sound apparent in another car? A lot of these sounds are car specific and are meant to sound like that because the real life car sounds like that.

Guys, watch the two videos that I posted above. Both Assetto Corsa and F1 2016 are modeling the turbo sound. AC's is not annoying. F1 2016's is. 

What this means is that they don't have to remove the sound. I agree that they should make it as realistic as possible. They just have to replace it with something better. 

I really wish some of you would read the thread before posting irrelevant comments. This has nothing to do with beeps for shifting. That feature has been turned off since day 1. And anyone who says this sound is realistic has no clue. @Tempest261 posted a video above, I strongly suggest you people click on that video. I was watching the video on my iPad and my wife beside me asked what that terrible high pitched frequency was. If  you watch the video and can't hear that "DOG WHISTLE" sound above the engine sound, then you either have damaged hearing, or a severe case of  wax build-up.  The engine sounds are fine, but the high frequency is exaggerated and unrealistic.

And to those people claiming that "it's realistic, don't touch it" haven't been playing video games for very long. In the real world, you CANNOT make the engine sound lower and the effects around you louder, but in a video game you can. In the real world you CANNOT put all assists on an F1 car, but in a video game you can. In the real world you CANNOT have a driving line telling you when and where to brake, but in a video game you can. So therefore...in the real world of video games, there should be an option for people with good hearing to be able to adjust the high frequencies of an unrealistic sounding F1 car.  That would be like saying a bullet will kill you in one shot, therefore all first person shooters should be one-kill games. Ridiculous.

And I Thank God Codemasters is intelligent enough NOT to listen to the ones that say, "it's perfect don't change anything", otherwise their games would never improve. Again. Watch the video that was posted above. The high freqeuncies are as clear as day.  All I hear is "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" it sounds like a dog whistle. 

Here. Let me show you what A REAL FORMULA 1 car sounds like. Watch the onboard camera videos here. Then click on the video @Tempest261 posted above.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/5/7-unseen-onboards-from-barcelona.html

"realistic" you say?  The F1 2016 game has a Dog Whistle in the engine. And it's about as realistic as me being the King of France.

Here. Let me show you what A REAL FORMULA 1 car sounds like. Watch the onboard camera video of "Verstappen apes Alonso". Then click on the video @Tempest261 posted above.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/5/7-unseen-onboards-from-barcelona.html

"realistic" you say?  The F1 2016 game has a Dog Whistle in the engine. And it's about as realistic as me being the King of France.

I wouldn't go by FOM's feeds as to what is realistic and what is not. Their own audio does a poor job of capturing the sound of these cars for some reason, at least externally (which anyone can easily confirm by attending a race). 

That said, you can still hear the turbo in that video you just posted, but it's barely audible. It comes in and out like the AC version does. I don't think this is because the turbo spins down (you can see by AC's red line on the tach that it stays pegged), but more likely it's being drowned-out by the wind. AC's version also has a LOT more texture to it, as well as more of a tonal response to the turbo's RPM. F1 2016's is flat and artificial-sounding, by contrast. 

Here. Let me show you what A REAL FORMULA 1 car sounds like. Watch the onboard camera video of "Verstappen apes Alonso". Then click on the video @Tempest261 posted above.

I wouldn't go by FOM's feeds as to what is realistic and what is not. Their own audio does a poor job of capturing the sound of these cars for some reason, at least externally (which anyone can easily confirm by attending a race). 

That said, you can still hear the turbo in that video you just posted, but it's barely audible. It comes in and out like the AC version does. I don't think this is because the turbo spins down (you can see by AC's red line on the tach that it stays pegged), but more likely it's being drowned-out by the wind. AC's version also has a LOT more texture to it, as well as more of a tonal response to the turbo's RPM. F1 2016's is flat and artificial-sounding, by contrast. 
Yeah I agree, it's probably a bad example.  But it's the closest you can get to a real F1 car onboard...Like here for example. You can hear the turbo, but it's not annoying and painful like a dog whislte 2 inches away from your ears.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMCYau-rwo

Or this one might be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okaFxyl7-mA

Yeah- these complicated power units really sound interesting and beautiful when their sounds are simulated/recorded well. 

I also wish CM had modeled more of the ERS/turbo controls like in AC. The lack of *at least* tracking of battery energy + an "overtake button" is puzzling to me, as the real cars have this (like they had in F1 2013 and prior for KERS)... but that's for a different thread. 

I really wish some of you would read the thread before posting irrelevant comments. This has nothing to do with beeps for shifting. That feature has been turned off since day 1. And anyone who says this sound is realistic has no clue. @Tempest261 posted a video above, I strongly suggest you people click on that video. I was watching the video on my iPad and my wife beside me asked what that terrible high pitched frequency was. If  you watch the video and can't hear that "DOG WHISTLE" sound above the engine sound, then you either have damaged hearing, or a severe case of  wax build-up.  The engine sounds are fine, but the high frequency is exaggerated and unrealistic.

And to those people claiming that "it's realistic, don't touch it" haven't been playing video games for very long. In the real world, you CANNOT make the engine sound lower and the effects around you louder, but in a video game you can. In the real world you CANNOT put all assists on an F1 car, but in a video game you can. In the real world you CANNOT have a driving line telling you when and where to brake, but in a video game you can. So therefore...in the real world of video games, there should be an option for people with good hearing to be able to adjust the high frequencies of an unrealistic sounding F1 car.  That would be like saying a bullet will kill you in one shot, therefore all first person shooters should be one-kill games. Ridiculous.

And I Thank God Codemasters is intelligent enough NOT to listen to the ones that say, "it's perfect don't change anything", otherwise their games would never improve. Again. Watch the video that was posted above. The high freqeuncies are as clear as day.  All I hear is "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" it sounds like a dog whistle. 
Wow. Are you trolling?

Did you know that not all the cars in the game have this 'dog whistle' sound? Ask your wife to check out some of the other cars. If she still doesn't like it then maybe codies can change it, just for her, nevermind all the F1 fans that love to hear realistic car sounds. 

milook said:

"Wow. Are you trolling?"

"Did you know that not all the cars in the game have this 'dog whistle' sound? Ask your wife to check out some of the other cars. If she still doesn't like it then maybe codies can change it, just for her, nevermind all the F1 fans that love to hear realistic car sounds." 

Do yourself a favour @milook Click the video. Then fast forward to 9:30 and listen to what this guy says. Good luck. 

https://youtu.be/hlK3ugp16MU

The thing is (my hearing's fine, thank you) I can't hear any engine whine, not anything like a dog whistle, nor anything high pitched and annoying. It all sounds quite representative of a current F1 engine/car to my ears and I am happy with it.

Sorry for not being a hipster and complaining.

Just add an option to disable the dog whisle sound in the engine, everybody happy. The people that are not disturbed by might have hearing loss in thise frequencies. Someone that can hear it will close the game because it's so irritating.

I don't understand why some guys are against an option to chose the way you prefer it. 

Rapster said:
The thing is (my hearing's fine, thank you) I can't hear any engine whine, not anything like a dog whistle, nor anything high pitched and annoying. It all sounds quite representative of a current F1 engine/car to my ears and I am happy with it.

Sorry for not being a hipster and complaining.
Try driving the mclaren in cockpit view. It's most prominent on that car in the game but sounds very realistic when you see the in car cams during real F1. 

R0lexi said:
Just add an option to disable the dog whisle sound in the engine, everybody happy. 
And how would that work? It's not a separate sound, it's all part of the same sample.

Guys, how do you say this is a realistic sound?
This sound, this kind of whistle is too high frequency, 
it is annoying, it seems the fire alarm of my
tobacconist's. However, once again, for me it is impossible to play . Everyone has his hearing... If they can fix it well, otherwise I sell it.

Thank you... good evening...

I think it sounds fine and is not that loud. But to please everyone they could put a option to adjust the sound of it.

I'm curious as to why anyone thinks this sound is realistic. It doesn't sound like any turbo I've heard- inside or outside of F1. 

I'm curious as to why anyone thinks this sound is realistic. It doesn't sound like any turbo I've heard- inside or outside of F1. 
The problem is not the sound per se, but people's perception of it. Similar to the way taste (food, music, etc.) works. There's also the way (hardware or technology) the sound is transmitted to the ear. For instance, even high end equipment can do something to a signal that makes it sound unpleasant - after all, it has been made by man to reproduce sounds that can be heard by us, but it's still generated electronically, artificially some say. Basically, we're all built differently, biologically speaking, and what some find acceptable others find irritating and then chuck the myriad of reproduction devices (speakers, amps, etc.) into the mix and some will find the noise/sound produced obnoxious. And some will like it. And some will be indifferent to it.

Apologies for my simplistic view.