Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please fix that horrible high pitched "whistling" sound.

Rest assured we're taking your feedback on board and are figuring out what we can do about this.
Firstly, we've tried to recreate the sound as authentically as possible and this whine is created by the turbo and is present in reference footage.

- Haters of this sound - we hear you and were trying to work out a fix for tinnitus sufferers to disable this.
- Fan's of this sound, don't worry - we aren't going to remove it or compromise the current mix. Whatever we put in place will be an option and not forced upon anybody.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Thanks issueskid, for the update and letting us know how you plan to deal with the issue!

Love the name - does it mean you deal with issues or you have issues...or a bit of both? :D

Rapster said:
Thanks issueskid, for the update and letting us know how you plan to deal with the issue!

Love the name - does it mean you deal with issues or you have issues...or a bit of both? :D
Random fact: It has been my internet handle since 1999 after the Korn album Issues :)

Just an update to let you know what our plans are.

We've had a meeting about this and we are all agreed that we don't want to alienate lovers or haters of this so we are now working on the fix for a future patch. We're going to be adding an audio accessibility option for tinnitus sufferers or anybody who dislikes some of the high pitched whines in game. This will be a toggle option that by default will be switched off - so you'll hear the whine as default.

issueskid said:
Rapster said:

Random fact: It has been my internet handle since 1999 after the Korn album Issues :)
Hey, yeah, that is a cool fact! :)

I remember 'Shoots and Ladders'. Can't remember much else...too...old... :D

Might have to look them up again, thanks for reminding me, issueskid!

issueskid said:

We've had a meeting about this and we are all agreed that we don't want to alienate lovers or haters of this so we are now working on the fix for a future patch. We're going to be adding an audio accessibility option for tinnitus sufferers or anybody who dislikes some of the high pitched whines in game. This will be a toggle option that by default will be switched off - so you'll hear the whine as default.
Good compromise, thanks to the team!

Will you be adding a toggle option to the forums as well? Whine could be the default, too...  :D

issueskid said:

Great job. I'm a lover of da whine but great to see you guys responding so quickly. 

Thanks for your reply issuekid! I love the game but seeing that the developers take this serious is so great. A toggle option sounds like a perfect solution as I also suffer tinnitus. I am going to recommend this game to all of my friends, it's the best F1 game ever released.

issueskid said:

Thats very cool. Hopefully it wont be just off/on I like the most realism possible but a volume slider would be great to at least reduce the overall level without completely removing it.

Thanks for the update

issueskid said:
Rest assured we're taking your feedback on board and are figuring out what we can do about this.
Firstly, we've tried to recreate the sound as authentically as possible and this whine is created by the turbo and is present in reference footage.

- Haters of this sound - we hear you and were trying to work out a fix for tinnitus sufferers to disable this.
- Fan's of this sound, don't worry - we aren't going to remove it or compromise the current mix. Whatever we put in place will be an option and not forced upon anybody.

Thanks for your feedback :)
YES!!! I knew you would. You guys are so awesome. Thank you so very much Codemasters Team. Aside from that high pitched "whistle" I'm loving the game so far. Like I said earlier, engine sounds are fine, it's just the high frequency that bothers my hearing. Keep up the great work. 

I'll take this feedback to the rest of the team on Monday morning to see if we can do something about it. However, we've mixed the game to reference, and you'll find that real-life onboards have this sound, and the game mix is accurate to that.
Hi David,
It may very well be an accurate reproduction of the onboard sound mix, however, remember that our ears are not protected by ear plugs or a helmet, so I feel some adjustment is warranted. Cheers.

Skroce said:
I'll take this feedback to the rest of the team on Monday morning to see if we can do something about it. However, we've mixed the game to reference, and you'll find that real-life onboards have this sound, and the game mix is accurate to that.
Hi David,
It may very well be an accurate reproduction of the onboard sound mix, however, remember that our ears are not protected by ear plugs or a helmet, so I feel some adjustment is warranted. Cheers.
Thanks for the feedback Skroce, As I've previous stated we are working on a fix to please both people who like and dislike this. Just keep in mind though that we can't please everybody and something like this whine seems to have split fans down the middle. 

issueskid said:
Skroce said:
Hi David,
Thanks for the feedback Skroce, As I've previous stated we are working on a fix to please both people who like and dislike this. Just keep in mind though that we can't please everybody and something like this whine seems to have split fans down the middle. 
Apologies, issueskid, I should have read through all the comments first. I kind of like transfix's idea of a slider, but greatly appreciate the challenge this creates and the timely and considered response. Cheers.

Skroce said:
issueskid said:
Skroce said:
Hi David,
Apologies, issueskid, I should have read through all the comments first. I kind of like transfix's idea of a slider, but greatly appreciate the challenge this creates and the timely and considered response. Cheers.
We'll do what we can but yes, you're right. We'd like to get a fix out for a patch as soon as we can so we've agreed the best option is a toggle.
Maybe next year we can consider a slider instead if there's enough demand for it. What we want to avoid though is giving people too many mix options because this would be a nightmare for both players and us as developers when investigating mix issues. :)

Fortunately, I don't hear the sound on my relatively inexpensive 2. Logitech system.

The posters not wanting to adjust their systems for the one game out of many are pretty much right: the audio should be relatively consistent with other games. Having said that, it should be considered this may be quite different from the remainder of games in the home collection.

I feel too though that the audio sounds pretty flat and particularly the car engine sounds quite flat in comparison to the other three CodeMasters and games I have and even other non-racing games.

In the Australian circuit, when I come down the straight towards the finish line I hear a low rumble. Just last night (and only once mind you) I actually hear the crowd cheering - I feel this may be an inconsistency or a glitch. Maybe my race performance? :)

issueskid said:
We'll do what we can but yes, you're right. We'd like to get a fix out for a patch as soon as we can so we've agreed the best option is a toggle.
Maybe next year we can consider a slider instead if there's enough demand for it. What we want to avoid though is giving people too many mix options because this would be a nightmare for both players and us as developers when investigating mix issues. :)

I want to hear the turbo whine. I just don't want it to sound like that. I far prefer Assetto Corsa's take on it. There's a lot more going on (multiple tones, textures) in their version of the turbo sound. F1 2016's is flat and hissing by comparison. Do I know which is more accurate? Of course not. But AC's is more believable at least, and doesn't hurt my ears. 

I don't hear this at all. Maybe it's my age? :smiley:

I do hear the high pitched sound when you reach the limiter that tells you to upshift though.

The sounds is one of the best things about this game.

Sorry, but whoever got a problem with the sound, got a problem with either his ears or his speakers / headphones / sound settibgs.  I don't speak about liking or not liking, realistic or unrealistic. - even though personally I like it! I played the game on my laptop speakers, over my wireless asus gaming headset and over my yamaha hs80m studio monitors via a high quality RME audio interface. In all cases the sound was great and the whistling noise was far from too loud or irritating. Perhaps the people complaining don't know the default audio settings of their rig. In nowerdays onboard soundcards there are often crappy sound enhancements turned on by default. Good possible that these over exaggerate the high frequencies and make playing less enjoyable. Since I turned the Dolby sound enhancer off, my laptop sound volume  went lower but the whole audio experience became  much more balanced and real. Also the distorted sound when approaching other cars disappeared... 

Interestingly, if you listen to the on-board from Hamilton's pole lap last year at spa it does sound remarkably like F1 2016. So at least we can say that CM is doing a good job emulating the on-boards. http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/8/2016_Circuit_Guide_-_Circuit_de_Spa-Francorchamps.html

But as many have pointed out during the 2014-present Formula, FOM's ability to capture audio has never been their strong suit. I wonder if the Assetto Corsa guys got their audio straight from Ferrari for the SF15-T. It would explain the stark difference, especially with the turbo sound. 

But as many have pointed out during the 2014-present Formula, FOM's ability to capture audio has never been their strong suit. I wonder if the Assetto Corsa guys got their audio straight from Ferrari for the SF15-T. It would explain the stark difference, especially with the turbo sound. 
This is always something we talk about every year. We have to decide from an audio point of view if we're going to a realistic sound, a broadcast sound or a game sound. We're never going to please everybody with this and currently we're focused on trying to accurately represent broadcast. This choice also fits in with our game design and cameras used. As always though we always listen to feedback.

issueskid said:
This is always something we talk about every year. We have to decide from an audio point of view if we're going to a realistic sound, a broadcast sound or a game sound. We're never going to please everybody with this and currently we're focused on trying to accurately represent broadcast. This choice also fits in with our game design and cameras used. As always though we always listen to feedback.
Definitely a fair approach. Hopefully FOM will improve next year. I can't quite understand what they're doing wrong, as at least for external drive-by shots even bad cell phone videos sound closer to the real thing than the official broadcast. 

I am quite impressed with your ability to capture the differences in the power units. It's even more palpable than the broadcast. The t-cam looks nice but I'm one of those purists that likes the driver POV. However, one major thing that I appreciate in 2016 over 2015 is that you guys un-muffled the helmet sound. It seemed realistic but got old very quickly. Thanks for that change. 

There does seem to be a lot of people where all with the same issue.

Just to pitch in. I also have this issue.

PC user.

GGVII said:
There does seem to be a lot of people where all with the same issue.

Just to pitch in. I also have this issue.

PC user.
Just to reiterate, this is is now fixed and will be rolled out in a future patch.

Thank you for letting us know issuekid. Great news! So the fix will be a toggle option? Do you think the patch would be available next Wednesday or will it take longer? Looking forward to play the game again.

ps I play on steam