Sign in to follow this  

Controller vs. Wheel

So I just got done improving my times on the Challenge, and I was a little disappointed that I was 2-3 seconds quicker with a Controller with TC and Automatic transmission than I am with my wheel. Now I'm not going to give up on my wheel for Career mode, because it just so damn fun. But there is definitely time to be found using a Controller over the Wheel.

I'm a wheel user and have been every since I got my wheel years ago. I'd imagine I'd find it all a bit odd-feeling going back a controller. I would've thought that it's easier to go quick with a wheel since one can control car inputs better like brake and throttle modulation.

I use controllers since i was 5 years old so then a new way to play i would find it odd like kinect, move and all that bullshit

I have a G25 but I mostly play with the controller. Too lazy to hook up the wheel.

I've only recently got a G27 and am still getting used to it so at the moment I'm quicker on the controller.  I've had a couple of days with it and I'm not really getting close to my controller times yet but I have done some subtle manoeuvres that I don't believe I could have done with a controller.

I only hope I get quicker with a bit more practice...I do find it more fun with a wheel.

I just feel like I can make faster turns & braking decisions with a controller. But part of this is due to my right foot (I can only feel part of my foot). So I have to rely on how much movement I can do with my foot. Anyway I can use the controller better over the wheel on road circuits, but on large ovals I can use my wheel to be a lot smoother. 

I have been told by people watching me play. That it looks like I am using a wheel. I take that as complimemt. Although I only heard people say this on Forza & Grid 2. 

wheel is more precise

with controller you have faster reaction

choose your destiny

GA got a lot 'slower' than GRID1, so I think, wheel should be way better.
Back in the days I preferred wheel at first, but realized soon, that the controller with faster reaction times was way better for online gaming. At least, when trying to avoid people or counter-steer when being hit.

Still 'im planning to get a T500RS in the next couple of weeks. The cars feel more realistic now and keeping them steady through corners, without sliding, is mental torture. :D

i use a g27, i prefer a wheel because its more fun to me, i dont race online and im not super competitive with my times, id probably be better with a controller but its more about the fun and immersion to me.

Ever since I got my G27 in February, I don't play a racing game without it. Just a hell of a lot more fun. Some controller users are really good, and I don't knock them for using it.

You said the magic words, you use TC. Turn off all and I mean all assist and see which one you are faster with. If you are still faster with controller, just means you are not as good with a wheel, (yet). The wheel takes a long time to master, but wayyyyyyyyy much more fun. Once I got a good wheel, I NEVER went back to a controller, wouldn't care who is faster. It ain't driving if you are using a controller when you can use a good wheel. 

Anytime you play a racing game that is part arcade such as all CM's games, they try to make both of them equal. First thing I always do on all racing games is turn off all assist. I been racing just about every night on Autosport since it came out and I have no idea if I would be faster with some assist on. Don't care, takes the feeling of true driving away to have the game assist my steering in any way. Let the rear-end slip out if I hit the gas too hard, oh yeah, love it.

MLT24 said:
You said the magic words, you use TC. Turn off all and I mean all assist and see which one you are faster with. If you are still faster with controller, just means you are not as good with a wheel, (yet). The wheel takes a long time to master, but wayyyyyyyyy much more fun. Once I got a good wheel, I NEVER went back to a controller, wouldn't care who is faster. It ain't driving if you are using a controller when you can use a good wheel. 

Anytime you play a racing game that is part arcade such as all CM's games, they try to make both of them equal. First thing I always do on all racing games is turn off all assist. I been racing just about every night on Autosport since it came out and I have no idea if I would be faster with some assist on. Don't care, takes the feeling of true driving away to have the game assist my steering in any way. Let the rear-end slip out if I hit the gas too hard, oh yeah, love it.
I'm with you 100%. I run my Wheel with career with no assists man. sequential , and I love the degree of difficulty. But I got on my Son's Xbox, and Beat every one of my times with a controller, Automatic, TC by 2 seconds. So as far as the Challenges go, and getting money for my garage, I'll use a controller for them. Everything else is all wheel. I ran all the Challenges this week, and are pretty happy with my times, but I am probably going to go back race them with my wheel to see if I can match the times. 

Just switched to xb wheel and loving it. Completely changed the game for me.  I feel like I've had a workout on the wheel, never got that feeling from using the controller. The immersion into the game is so much more satisfying.

I have been unable to enjoy a serious racing game without a wheel since I got my Fanatec. It is far more fun. Just dont make the mistake of using a wheel in front of a small monitor if you have a single big screen in your home with an HDMI in. Playing at 1080p 60 frames per second on a 55 inch from about 4 feet is like a roller coaster sometimes. You can't get that feeling without a wheel.

This is all you need, best wheel for the money and it assures you the latest in FFB technology. Also has break and gas pedals, and shifter. Cheap at walmart. Same wheel they use for GT Academy Challenge. Official Wheel for Gran Tu
rismo 5 and 6.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-Driving-Force-GT-Steering-Wheel-PS2-and-PS3-PlayStation/10073757

Wheel always, haven't driven with a pad in years, just got three platinum's in the Racenet Challenge

so I'm not to far off the pace it seems...

For me immersion is everything in a racing sim.

I use a Fanatec Clubsport wheel and Clubsport 7 speed H-pattern shifter, DSD wilwood pedals, squential shifter, hydralic handbrake and button boxes. Plus a whole bunch of gauges and dashs. I couldn't race without my wheel and motion simulator etc.

You can see my rig in action in my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAR29NmnME0

likewise said:

Wheel always, haven't driven with a pad in years, just got three platinum's in the Racenet Challenge

so I'm not to far off the pace it seems...

Three!? I got all the Platinums last week with the wheel. This week seem nearly impossible! Brands hatch is easy.. the endurance near impossible.. the party mode also near impossible. Which did you complete?

Avenga76 said:
For me immersion is everything in a racing sim.

I use a Fanatec Clubsport wheel and Clubsport 7 speed H-pattern shifter, DSD wilwood pedals, squential shifter, hydralic handbrake and button boxes. Plus a whole bunch of gauges and dashs. I couldn't race without my wheel and motion simulator etc.

You can see my rig in action in my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAR29NmnME0
Nice setup, I have the Fanatec, CSR with three pedals but I can't get the H-pattern shifter to work that well. Anyway, that was a pretty awesome video. 

Nice setup, I have the Fanatec, CSR with three pedals but I can't get the H-pattern shifter to work that well. Anyway, that was a pretty awesome video. 
Thanks.

The clutch physics in Codemasters games is pretty terrible. You need to make sure the game itself has registered that you are in gear before lifting the clutch and if you mis-shift then you need to clutch in then take it out of gear, then put it back in to gear then clutch out, you can't just kick the clutch to get it back in to gear.

Because there is a slight delay between when you put the car in gear and when the game registers that you have put the car in gear it is easy to be too quick on the clutch and then it will mis-shift. I found that I had to slow down my clutch to get it to work well.

Also to note is that there is no progression in the clutch so it is either on or off so you can't ride the clutch or anything. 

Controller

My race rigg is a fkking old crappy not  nice sitting wheelchair and a xboxcontroller yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :p

Maseratti said:
Where's the keyboard option?
xD

yeah was wondering that myself given I primarily us e the keyboard myself on PC I only use controller on console