DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Controller vs. Wheel

Avenga76 said:
Nice setup, I have the Fanatec, CSR with three pedals but I can't get the H-pattern shifter to work that well. Anyway, that was a pretty awesome video. 
Thanks.

The clutch physics in Codemasters games is pretty terrible. You need to make sure the game itself has registered that you are in gear before lifting the clutch and if you mis-shift then you need to clutch in then take it out of gear, then put it back in to gear then clutch out, you can't just kick the clutch to get it back in to gear.

Because there is a slight delay between when you put the car in gear and when the game registers that you have put the car in gear it is easy to be too quick on the clutch and then it will mis-shift. I found that I had to slow down my clutch to get it to work well.

Also to note is that there is no progression in the clutch so it is either on or off so you can't ride the clutch or anything. 

And this is true, I recently switched my shifters out and put my sequential into action because I was tired of getting thrown into neutral. 

Avenga76 said:
Nice setup, I have the Fanatec, CSR with three pedals but I can't get the H-pattern shifter to work that well. Anyway, that was a pretty awesome video. 
Thanks.

The clutch physics in Codemasters games is pretty terrible. You need to make sure the game itself has registered that you are in gear before lifting the clutch and if you mis-shift then you need to clutch in then take it out of gear, then put it back in to gear then clutch out, you can't just kick the clutch to get it back in to gear.

Because there is a slight delay between when you put the car in gear and when the game registers that you have put the car in gear it is easy to be too quick on the clutch and then it will mis-shift. I found that I had to slow down my clutch to get it to work well.

Also to note is that there is no progression in the clutch so it is either on or off so you can't ride the clutch or anything. 

And this is true, I recently switched my shifters out and put my sequential into action because I was tired of getting thrown into neutral. 

I usually use either my sequential shifter or my paddles. 

For modern touring cars etc I use my DSD sequential shifter, for open wheelers I use the paddles on the Clubsport Formula rim and for classics I use my Clubsport H-Pattern shifter.

It is good to have options so if I get too annoyed by the H-Pattern then I can use my DSD shifter, or the paddles or even switch my Clubsport shifter in to sequential mode (I don't like the sequential mode on the Clubsport shifter because the DSD is so much better) 

Avenga76 said:
Thanks.

I get pretty much the same problem in Gran Turismo. Only console game I found working gream with clutch was Forza on 360.

I'm using CSR Elite + CS Pedals + G27 shifter over an adaptor.

But it was same behavior witht the shifter on his G27 wheel

A driving game must be played with a wheel ,  that's it.  many years ago I use to play  Toca games with a controller, one day I went to visit a friend of mine and test a wheel,  it was amazing, since that day I never used a controller anymore. 

On open wheel, the steering wheel definitely have an unfair advantage. I'm getting used to the transition. For the rest it seem pretty equal.

http://youtu.be/W15umP-my8M

With the gamepad the car simply understeer & hardly turn. The corner before the long straight you can go full throttle without fuss.

The steering having more precision is just a pile of lies. The hardest part about the wheel is when you get rammed or oversteer which require more skill, but if you can retain a good consistent run, it is easier.

I think you are right its definitly harder to drive with the wheel online in a Public Room because you have to quickly change direction for counter steer after getting shunted or smashed. But I'm sticking with the wheel. Just have to find a better quality of people to race with, LoL

The best solution is to simply face it. You get used to it very fast, unless your brain simply refuse to learn. I find the annoying racenet AI to be very useful to improve my steering skill for collision.

The gamepad & steering wheel skill are not that far apart.

Wheel as you can feel what the car is doing, gauge the amount of grip, pressure on the steering. A rumble just doesn't cut it anymore.

Got my 1st wheel (a DFGT) for Grid 1 and within a week of practicing I was shaving 1-2 seconds a lap of my PB times.

Just got a G27 last month and manual gears, assists off racing is far far faster than with them on.

I tried Dirt 3 with a controller after using a wheel and it was damned near uncontrollable as nothing you tried worked once the car started to slide... Haven't touched a controller since. 

One reason I didn't play a lot of Dirt 3 is the lack of control with a keyboard or controller.

I use an Xbox 360 Pad. It's ok for the job but not the best. Wheel's trump them, but I get frustrated with wheels as having raced a fair bit IRL it gives me sod all feedback compared to say my old RX-7 Turbo...

Ah well it's a fun game so I race for fun with a controller. I'm not racing too competitively.

I'm a former wheel user who went back to controllers after it became clear that developers were focusing their efforts on the typical console user experience.  Controller in hand and sitting back from the screen.  

I'm not happy about the loss of immersion but I had to face the reality that I'm guaranteed support if I use my XBox 360 Controller For Windows.  Although I must note that Codemasters even forgot to put the deadzone fix for the 360 controller in the release version of Grid AutoSport.  Seriously, Codies?