Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2016 - AI Difficulty Gap

Hello,

I am a veteran of the series (having played '12, '13 and '14) with one thousand of hours on the record and I have always played on Legend difficulty. Now I know that the difficulties are quite complex to create and there's often quite a big gap in AI performance between the difficulty options. I experienced the latter again with the new 2016 game.

Yesterday, I started a new Career with Renault on Legend difficulty, but I couldn't get the required times for the tyre management session in free practice. Also, during each session I would line up at the end of the grid, even after the Manors. Now on Expert difficulty, it was very easy to beat the target with nearly two seconds in between, I easily outclassed my teammate in qualifying and I challenged Red Bulls to take seventh position in the first race.

I only recently started using setups and I honestly trying to challenge the Legend AI, but could there please be a difficulty slider or a more advanced way to alter the difficulties, instead of simply selecting a difficulty setting?

I have the same problem too fast for expert and too slow for legend a difficulty slider would be great. I guess i will be faster if i learn no assists

Update: I have finished a race (AUS) wiith the Legend AI in the same team, and now everything was nearly perfect in terms of competitiveness. I could race just outside the points, which is not that unrealistic. Strange that the difference is so big with the development requirements.

Same here. First race in a Haas and I finished 5th on expert. On Legend I cant even complete tire management and usually end up last and 3 secs off pace. I hope codemasters can make Expert a little faster.

Same here...Hard I win easily...Expert...very hard time to be competitive...difficulty slider would be great

@Restricted @MSC2k13 @HusseinGamingPs @feladoop @zbstrikez

If you want AI sliders, please vote here: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/44042/suggestion-ai-difficulty-0-110-slider-for-f1-2017#latest

Something needs to be done. This issue itself is enough for people to stop playing the game.

Are you using a wheel?I am using a controller and find the small amount of room in the r2 button hard not to spin with no traction control 

Are you using a wheel?I am using a controller and find the small amount of room in the r2 button hard not to spin with no traction control 
Yeah, I am.

So many times people say put a difficulty slider in or make 10 difficulty settings with 0,5 seconds between each step.

But once again Vodemasters messed up, putting seconds between difficulty settings.

I have not bought F1 2016 yet  because this time I wanted to see which big problems there would be before buying.

This is a big one, unless it is solved with more difficuty settings or a slider I will skip this one.

@Hoo  To fix the Ai difficulty gap issues you could add a difficulty slider where for example 1 to 100 and expert is 70 legend 80 and ultimate 90 because the difficulty is ruining the game for a lot of people just a suggestion :)

This is a known problem it seems but I'm hoping more people complain about it because it really makes career racing pointless if it's either way too easy or too hard. The addition of a slider like you see in Assetto Corsa or Project Cars is really the best way to fix this assuming it doesn't require a complete rewrite of the code for the AI or something.

What will a difficulty slider achieve? Unless there's one slider for free practice and another for the race, nothing!

The core problems is the disconnect between FP pace and Qualy/Race pace. CM just need to bring down the FP time targets across the difficulties. Then you could stay on Legendary, ace the tire management test and go through to the race and perform where you should be.

I just completed my first weekend in Australia (Haas F1). I was only able to get about half the points for tyre management but it's still points. Also, always run the other practices for extra points even if you have competed the tests in practice 1. You could still get about 50 points for the other practices. Just set a decent time and then retire. During the race( 50%)I did a 2 stopper and finished 7th on Legend AI but I had to defend hard. I had 1 safety car and 2 VSCs. I believe Legend is just right at least so far.

Nonono.

You cant change Expert difficulty. 

Its perfect for me and im sure i am not the only one. 

Changing expert difficulty would make you guys happy. But the people liking Expert right now will get mad. 

The difficulty in the tyre wear test needs lowered. On Legend or Ultimate in a Manor the times it wants me to hit on the mediums whilst staying purple just aren't possible on the pad. Qualifying test is close enough, generally come qualifying time I can hit the times I am expected to get, occasionally being on the cusp of Q2.

The tyre wear test/track acclimation test's are actually a pretty decent tool in terms of teaching you to limit the amount of lock applied. Wish there was a way to turn it on in other modes as it could definitely help those users struggling to understand where they are losing out through understeer due to bad throttle management...

I suck at this game but Im also experience a big gap in between levels. 

I started a career on medium at mclaren. In practice sessions things were fine. Completed the tests and finished 10th, just ahead of Alonso. 

Came to qualify and race. Got pole by 0.6 secs and won the race. Alonso finished 12th. 

Switched to hard. Suddenly I'm 5 secs behind and Alonso has turned into an F1 god with a car from 2061 to qualify in 5th. Ridiculous. 

So, something in between would be great. And I think difficulty also impacts the strength of your team mate by quite a margin. 

For me legend ai is almost perfect. Maybe 0.5 too fast, but I think I will be able to close that gap.
I think codemasters should leave the difficulty settings as is, but provide an extra option to create a custom difficulty preset.