Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xbox One Screen Tearing

Yep, trees seem to be a frame rate killer. I've paused my career now in Monza as i accidently drove a couple of laps there in PCars which is butter smooth and still looks much better visually, on PS4. Now, i can accept the visual downgrade in F1 2016 but the performance is not acceptable. Even in time trial there are severe frame rate drops in quite substantial areas.

Add to this th XBone version is even worse... Sorry för hijacking your thead

Hello,
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down
Well, I can ease your pain
And get you on your feet again
Relax
I'll need some information first
Just the basic facts
Can you show me where it hurts?

I'm guessing they would have to turn down more visual settings than they are comfortable with and hope we all get the 'S' (or later the scorpio).

Been reading up on them as much as possible. Although not a selling point the 'S' has a faster gpu clock but Cpu clock is the same. So the more AI on screen the harder the CPU works.

On project cars with higher grids the CPU can't cope and it means the timing is off slightly, the more AI you run, the slower your car goes as the clock ticks are slightly off. A like for like qualifying lap in identical conditions can be like 10s slower with max grid (up to 40 I think at le man's) versus 16 car grid, but will have felt the exact same to the driver.

GPU has issues and drops well below 60fps on project cars when its raining or foggy and it has to render a load of extra stuff for each frame, lighting effects from other cars, complex cloud formations, lightning, rain drops, spray etc. 

The 'S' higher clock speed on the GPU has shown, depending on the game but here I'll continue with pCars as it's a similar genre, up to a 10% improvement, or up to a 5 fps improvement. ESRAM also has a slight max bandwidth speed increase so it will help render certain added effects faster (I think, this one I don't know about enough, I think it's for quick access to items that will regularly be thrown up on screen? I'm sure someone can call me out for talking BS if I have that wrong!)

That's a decent difference and might be the difference in F1 being the torn mess it is now, and something I might stick with longer, versus being dropped as soon as something that works how I would expect comes out.

The Scorpio's full specs aren't out but its GPU can run 3 to 4 times as many floating point operations per second. Which sounds good on paper and is bound to have a big effect if it's not bottlenecked elsewhere.

I think it is either the engine itself or lazy optimization or the combination. PCars looks just miles better and at the same time keeps better frame rate. (PS4)

I would have expected mostly locked 60 fps on both consoles cosidering the game's visuals. Sure some drops during start, incidents and weather transition and rain fine, but some track are far off even in dry time trial.  

There are negative reports as well on high-end pc hardware that should eat this game for breakfast.

Bunch of games coming out so I guess its time to try and get my money back for F1 '16 then.

Better luck next year I guess

Am happy to report I have been F1 free for a week now and not even missing it.

Seems to me the only games I was having issues on my Xbox with are codesmasters 2015 and 2016. 

Also, sorry @Lozzy for bumping this, please go back to ignoring.

EDIT: Xbox got back to me. Refund Approved.

@Codemasters - Please get your f*cking sh*t together. I'll see you again next year for the rinse and repeat.

Its hard to see the company who produced Music and Music 2000 releasing this crap.

I contacted Codemasters yesterday about the screen tearing problem on xbox one and this was their response :

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning F1 2016.

This is not a known issue with the game, so we recommend that you try the following:

1) If you have a different HDMI cable you should try this, as not all HDMI cables offer the same performance
2) Likewise try an alternative HDMI slot on your TV as TVs will sometimes have a PC compatible port which may be more suited to gaming
3) If your TV has a game mode, you might also like to try this
4) Finally ensure that you are using the correct video output settings for your TV in your Xbox One settings, as follows..

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/console/adjust-display-settings

Hope this helps.

What a load of cods manure !! I have ten other games, one of which is the far superior Forza Motorsport 6, none of them have this issue, so how can it be down to setup? They are choosing to ignore the issue despite it being reported on these forums and by game reviewers who have also reported the problem in their reviews.  If you accepted that there is a problem and agreed to look into it then that's fine because at least your being proactive in attempting to resolve the it., As a programmer myself , am only too aware of how many issues are only detected post release, it  happens, that's IT, that;s software engineering, that's life. But patronizing and ignoring users who have spent their hard earned cash on the game is not the correct way to go about this, particularly after the mass disappointments of last years release. Man up Code-masters, admit the problem and at least make an attempt sort this out. It's not going away! 

@Ityemawie Codemasters answer's is a joke ! this is a well known issue, even Lozzy admit it :

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/47464/lozzy-xbox-one-framerates#latest

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/46501/xbox-one-technical-issues-list#latest

I really wish they are working to fix it.

This was from the Test Paddock but could hardly be viewed as information that cant be shared. 

Hoo said:
Screen tearing is usually associated with frame drops. The interesting things mentioned above are that it gets worse for some people over the course of a race and that it only affects some Xboxes. If possible, please could any of the Xbox beta testers let us know if they are experiencing this. If so, does it get worse over the course of the race?
The comment about the day one Xbox is also interesting. I'll check with the team to see if they know of any technical differences between Xbox models that may cause this.

Hoo said:
The team think that having a slow or fragmented HDD could cause some IO issues that may in turn slow down the game a little. This is conjecture though as we haven't replicated this issue here.
Having sufficient free space on your HDD generally ensures that games can be mounted in continuous blocks which are faster to access. This is usually fine on an initial game installation, but adding in content updates can sometimes fragment the data further. Having free space also allows the system to de-fragment the HDD more easily, again speeding up general HDD performance. The fact that you noticed faster results installing to a different HDD might suggest that your old HDD was getting a bit full and benefitted from the extra space, or the change to USB 3.0 improved the data transfer. It's hard for us to tell though.
We aren't aware of any hardware changes that MS may have made to the Xbox One that might have affected this. (That's not to say that there aren't any, just that we don't know what they are).
I don't think that there are any graphics settings in the game that will improve this for you. However, if the external hard drive improves this for you then that sounds like a win!

So basically they didn't know, and our favorite old chestnut "Um, we can't replicate so it can't possibly exist"

Yup. So it will never again be bought outright.

I'll get it and then get it refunded again within the first 4 weeks just by linking Microsoft Support to these threads, once you say to Xbox support that Codemasters are just ignoring some of these issues they are very helpful.

this is so sad... F1 games were great on Xbox 360... since F1 2015 it seems as unfinished games.

As above, any news???  Singapore, Malaysia, USA and Mexico have been unplayable and i've had to sim the race....

@BloozBoy Sorry buddy, but the deadly silence means that Codies abandonned F1 2016 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC. But they will promise for F1 2017 ! :D

Well im going to be complaining about this i was willing to leave it if things were beingvworked on but this tearing is ridicilous 

Lozzy promise they will work to improve framerate and fix screen tearing issue on Xbox One and Ps4 but it was a long time ago... no news since patch 1.7 (11 october). They worked on android and ios versions and now on Mac version, I think that F1 2016 will never been finished for consoles... just like F1 2015...

FRACTURED said:
Writing this on phone, apologies if once I hit enter it's the size 72 text it looks like on my phone, I can't see a way to change it!!!

So downloaded the update late last night, ploughed through work today, finally made it home for some laps.

Unfortunately I am still having issues with weird screen tearing, horizontal lines running down the screen from about 1/3rd of the way down the screen towards the cockpit, right in your line of site. Don't know if it's fps drops or what. I know we can't record and I'm not even sure it would show the issue anyways, but it's incredibly annoying. It happens in all sessions regardless of whether there are other cars close by or not. Seems worse at spa on the entry to bus stop and on the back straight, but have had it at varying times everywhere. Generally seems to rear its ugly head from time to time all through the lap and is causing untold frustration as it happened on 2015 also, and I don't recall ever having an answer back in either the technical support or general  F1 forums. Pretty sure I had no help either when I posted here about it before with the previous beta's.

Please give me some advice, what can I do? My Xbox has been fully pCars'd (so hard restart after the download, blu-ray cache cleared, kinect disconnected, no background running apps etc). Just ruining the experience for me. It doesn't happen on other games, though this is a day one Xbox so not sure if that is related. I'm also on Xbox preview program if that makes any difference.

Help!!!
jaykaybe said:
Same here. I hope they have a fix for this for the retail version!

IMO this should be priority nr. 1 on the "fix before release"-list. F1 2015 suffered from bad screen tearing and fps drops throughout the circuits. This was a gamebreaker for me...

Maybe it's beta fault,but wait until Monday,when Codemasters will return to their jobs
jaykaybe said:
I has been prominent in all 3 betas. It also got worse the longer you played one circuit. Hope we get some info about this subject prior to the release...
FiremanPvW said:
No problems here with this issue. Strange how it affects some Xbones but not all. 
FiremanPvW said:
No problems here with this issue. Strange how it affects some Xbones but not all. 
Hoo said:

Screen tearing is usually associated with frame drops. The interesting things mentioned above are that it gets worse for some people over the course of a race and that it only affects some Xboxes. If possible, please could any of the Xbox beta testers let us know if they are experiencing this. If so, does it get worse over the course of the race?

The comment about the day one Xbox is also interesting. I'll check with the team to see if they know of any technical differences between Xbox models that may cause this.

FRACTURED said:
Thanks Hoo, would be interesting to know if there are hardware differences, another reason  think about getting one of the new Xbox S versions maybe. I've tried everything I can think of. I dont get it on pCars at all and with that game it took a lot to get it working originally, disabling auto updates and doing whatever possible to keep background processes to a minimum so it could use all the cores.

A few other things to consider, I know Xbox has a fairly weak HDD, some pCars users had a lot of joy after moving their installs to a faster external HDD or even SSD where they had purchased digital download. Both F1 15 and this Beta are digital downloads in my case, whereas my pCars is a physical copy.

With BETA 1 the issue was never as bad at Austria (smaller track?), but occurred on the other tracks.
jaykaybe said:
I had a 100% race at bahrain this evening. Had some random fps drops during the whole race. Was not affecting me at all. The fps was going down to maybe 55. Graphically everything was ok, almost no tearing caused by the fps. Had a blast fighting the ai.

I guess Spa seems to be the problem, allthough there are some situations at spain (main straight) where fps drops may occur.

The game is installed on an external hdd, I am running a day one xbox one. Cache is regularly being cleared and standby mode is off....
FRACTURED said:
Bahrain for me is still pretty bad. At Spa, pit straight, eau rouge, end of the kemmel, the one with the wall on the exit, pouhon, the fast right onto the back straight, the quick left before the bus stop, and finally the bus stop are the worst, the rest of the time it's minor, but in those turns it really messes with ability to stay consistent.
FRACTURED said:
Right, I have borrowed a USB 3.0 dock and I have a 5400rpm, 1 TB WD Laptop HDD I happened to have lying around to try. I also had permission to use the SSD that came with the borrowed dock, but it's 16GB too small, think 240gb is a pretty normal size for SSD but Xbox insists on 256gb.

Anyways game is installing now, will see if it has made any difference later. Apparently the Internal HDD of the Xbox is using a crap connection (SATA II?) and it's USB 3.0 is a much faster way to connect.
FRACTURED said:
Tried a few 3 lappers off the External. So far so good. Not sure if the tearing is gone or I haven't time to notice, but I'll run another 100% tonight in the Force India in Legend and see if its definitely gone. 
FRACTURED said:
Okay, so after a lot of running last night, the tearing is still there but its not so prevalent. Still annoying as hell and quite distracting. But it looks like running it off an old external through the USB 3.0 improves performance a little. 

I tried mounting the 7200rpm HDD but the Xbox would not let me format it for some reason so couldn't check with a faster HDD. 

Was there any feedback from devs @Hoo 

FRACTURED said:
FiremanPvW said:

It is yeah. That why I was wondering if it was something to do with being on a Day One, because I can't think of many other reasons other than its  Digital Download. Do you run from disk Fireman? And are you still running in the same league as before?

FiremanPvW said:
FRACTURED said:
FiremanPvW said:

It is yeah. That why I was wondering if it was something to do with being on a Day One, because I can't think of many other reasons other than its  Digital Download. Do you run from disk Fireman? And are you still running in the same league as before?

@FRACTURED Ive got a more recent Xbone (think its nearing its 2nd birthday soon ;-)) and im running the 2015 game off a disc. I save all the files onto an external HDD with 3.0 connection. Like i said earlier, ive not seen any massive screen tearing apart from the Canadian backstraight with the black pixels on the right.

Obviously im running the 2016 Beta as a digital code, stored on the same external HDD. Again im not experiencing the same problems you are.

Indeed http://www.f1xl.co.uk/ is still running strongly, we have just completed our season on 15 and cant wait to start our 10th season (named season 8 due to some half seasons) when the 2016 game releases. 

FRACTURED said:
Hoo said:
Screen tearing is usually associated with frame drops.  
I'll check with the team to see if they know of any technical differences between Xbox models that may cause this.

@HOO

@Hoo

@hoo

Any more on the screen tearing?

Can we expect that the game will have some FPS drops on Xbox  regardless of whether the game is running from Internal or External? 

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to limit the Screen Tearing/FPS drops in the Xbox or in game settings/graphics options?

For some reason I can't tag Hoo today, doesn't exist apparently...lol

Hoo said:

The team think that having a slow or fragmented HDD could cause some IO issues that may in turn slow down the game a little. This is conjecture though as we haven't replicated this issue here.

Having sufficient free space on your HDD generally ensures that games can be mounted in continuous blocks which are faster to access. This is usually fine on an initial game installation, but adding in content updates can sometimes fragment the data further. Having free space also allows the system to de-fragment the HDD more easily, again speeding up general HDD performance. The fact that you noticed faster results installing to a different HDD might suggest that your old HDD was getting a bit full and benefitted from the extra space, or the change to USB 3.0 improved the data transfer. It's hard for us to tell though.

We aren't aware of any hardware changes that MS may have made to the Xbox One that might have affected this. (That's not to say that there aren't any, just that we don't know what they are).

I don't think that there are any graphics settings in the game that will improve this for you. However, if the external hard drive improves this for you then that sounds like a win!

FRACTURED said:
Its a little better, but for anyone who doesn't have access to another HDD/Dock/External drive I wouldn't call having to shell out extra just to get the game running correctly 'a win' :)

Cheers for info though. So price tag for F1 just went up from 40-50 quid, to 40-50 quid, an external USB 3.0 enclosure (10-15) and a 256GB SSD (40-60). 

Hoo said:
You might be able to just clear some space off your current HDD and get that running faster. How much free space do you have on your drive at the moment?
FRACTURED said:
75%  FREE 

Don't keep more than 3 or 4 games in the rotation at a time. pCars, FIFA and NBA 2K (waiting on a working F1 game to complete my gaming needs)
FRACTURED said:
Found out the SSD I had tried was partitioned or some crap so the xbox didn't recognize the size correctly to then reformat.

Have ordered a 240GB SSD which reads way faster than the internals can even handle at 500+ MB/s.

Specs Comparison

Seagate - ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB 500GB HDD
AVG / MAX Sequential 
Read 81.2 / 101
Write 80.9 / 105
Mixed 72.1 / 98.3

AVG / MAX Random 4K
Read 0.33 / 0.52
Write 1.31 / 2.03
Mixed 0.24 / 0.36

'Random 44 Quid' 240GB SSD
AVG / MAX Sequential 
Read 492 / 519
Write 362 / 391
Mixed 413 / 444

AVG / MAX Random 4K
Read 24.3 / 31
Write 70.1 / 114
Mixed 28.7 / 42.7

That all looks great on paper, but paraphrasing some stuff I was reading - "SATA II's maximum theoretical transfer speed is 300MB/s and the fastest USB 3.0 attached SSDs seem to top out near 300MB/s, even when the drive inside them can hit 500MB/s"

I've been reading up on this since I had the idea to try it, it will help with initial loads, but I am not sure if it will make much difference to the screen tearing etc on the full game - those initial loads will be faster as it reads sequentially faster, so the game should be ready to start much quicker but to be honest I don't understand if it will impact the on screen loads in and around dropped frames that apparently cause the tearing I see,..

Putting the info here as nobody will see it anyways, rather than have a thread buried in the Tech Support having not had much help from you codemasters guys! lol
FRACTURED said:
Factory reset the Xbox, standard 2.5 inch 5400rp 1TB external drive housing all games and apps, internal 500GB houses the operating system only.

With this setup, still having screen tearing, next move will be to put f1 on the ssd (probably a fresh download/install after next patch) and see what happens. My guess is screen tearing happens.
FRACTURED said:
Hmm, SSD arrived today moved a fresh download over to it, loaded the game (which was damn fast) and had some TT round Melbourne which usually has a lot of tearing at the chicanes.
Didn't really notice any to be honest. Will see what's what over an extended session later.
FRACTURED said:
Ssd has reduced it quite a bit, Australia seemed a lot better, but still get a few tears at Canada in a career race, though there was a lot going on with me in a pack.

In the TT's I have run its much improved as not so much going on.

Load times at ridiculous fast.
FRACTURED said:
Baku is a screenteary mess.

@Hoo 

are there likely to be any further track optimizations going forward on 2016 or are we pretty much looking at the final 'look' of the game, warts and all as it were.