Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2016 Random Crashing to Desktop [PC]

Hello,

I too have had the same issues as many other people. Game crashing to desktop , just after making my choice of game i.e "Quck Race" or whatever, past the cinematics, then just when the driver is sat in his car in the garage I make my choice to go racing. Crash to desktop!!.
 My PC has the following specs -

Gaming laptop:-
Intel Core i7-6820HK 2.7 GHz Processor
32 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD Plus 512 GB PCIE SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX980M Graphics Card, Windows 10)
original drivers were Nvidia 359.23 that came with the laptop

Firstly I installed F1 2016 from STEAM. Next I updated to WIN 10 Anniversary Update with no problems at all. However as part of the AU Windows installed Nvidia driver 369.09 which I believe MS introduced to resolve issues the some people were having. To be honest I was a little angry the no warning was given about this. Anyway after checking everything I began installing 2 more games namely Witcher 3 from GOG galaxy and Deus Ex_Mankind Divided from STEAM.

These games run ok at High/Ultra settings. No problems at all.

Running in the background on my laptop are GeFotrce Experience and McAfee Antivirus. As this is a new laptop there is no accumulation of further bloatware apart from what the manufacturer provides.

The issue I am having is the same for everyone here. Namely crashing to desktop at the same point. For example when I select "Quick Race", Australia, the i get to the cinematics of the garage chit, chat then as soon as the driver is sat in his car and I have the option to start racing it Crashes to desktop !!. NO matter what track I select i.e China, Hungary, Autralia etc the same thing happens. It also happens when I select career mode, quick trace, time trials etc. Just after the cinematics, and when driver is sat in his car awaiting for my selection to go driving, Crash !!! again.

I have done all that everyone here on this forum has done. Disabled GeForce Expereience from Task Manager. Switched off real time scanning in my antivirus program. To no avail.

To be honest it is very unfair that we should all be hacking our PC`s to resolve this issue. I am running the lasted version of F1 2016 from STEAM. my drivers are obviously quite new ( NVIDIA 369.09) as part of WIN 10 AU inclusion, so its not as if i have an old system with old drivers and bloatware.

I still believe there is a bug in this game somewhere and I hope you good people at Codemasters will update this. I have thoroughly enjoyed past games of F1 from 2013, 2014, 2015 on my previous older PC with no issues.

I hope you will keep up the momentum of this issue and not forget the keen fans out there  and not spoil there gaming of what is the best ever version in my opinion :-)

I know and understrand how difficult it is to code a game to fit all types of combination of CPU, GPU OS etc. But I still belive there is a bug in this game.

Awaiting your good advice and patch hopefully.

Lozzy said:
@VasuGoud all I can see is that it's D3D that's crashing, have you made sure all your drivers are up to date?
@Lozzy checked,  all drivers are upto date. There is no issue with any other game or application, it just happens with this game.

I am not sure what else to say really, it happened last Saturday in my  100% distance league race and that too 2 laps before finish. I only play multiplayer and if this happens again in my league race, i would have to stop playing.

update to my last comment.

Game still crashing to desktop everytime. Perhaps I should re-install my laptop manufacturers recommended drivers which are 362.60 . They might not be WDDM 2.1 ( Windows Display Driver Model, which includes enhancements and enabling better performance to graphics and new graphics functionality and stability.

However these older drivers may stop this game from crashing. Most OEM manufacturers recommend their own drivers but sometimes purely to enable their own installed software, some stability. Using pure official  latest Nvidia drivers will offer stability and improvements in gaming but may cause a problem with some OEM software functionality. To be honest with my older PC I always updated to the latest Nividia drivers and never really encountered problems.

I should have said in my last post here that I was using the WIN 10 Xbox wireless dongle and the Xbox Elite controller wirelessly on my laptop. Perhaps I should try my old wired Xbox 360 controller ?

I am running out of options now. I am concerned that  should I go back to driver 362.60 which was released before the WIN 10 AU, and therefore may cause a problem with WIN 10 after the Anniversary Update . I dont know ?!!.

I would appreciate any good advice. Thank you.

drb1965 said:
Same thing here but mine shuts down entire pc, can race for 3 or 4 laps but then enter pits and as soon as car stops boom pc crashes

Not good
Have the same problem !!!! With a GTX 970Ti , i7 6700k ,16GB RAM ......

Hey!

Just so that we can get more information, have you gone through the steps detailed here: 
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/44224/how-to-report-a-bug-updated-please-read 

1.       Ensure that your PC meets the minimum spec which can be found on the Steam Store Page

a.       http://store.steampowered.com/app/391040/

2.       Try running the game without any additional software running in the background, for example Fraps, MSI Afterburner, Nvidia Geforce Experience, AMD Gaming Evolved, Plays.tv, Anti Virus software etc

3.       Try running the game with the basic peripherals plugged into the PC i.e. only mouse and keyboard.

4. Have you overclocked your hardware

a.       Do you have the same issue when running at stock speeds

Hi @jennyannem . My specs are very good.

1.  GTX 970Ti , i7 6700k ,16GB RAM ......

2. Done it ,still PC crash ,so PC shut down :(

3.Tried it . And again still a PC crash after some laps......

4. I never overlock my hardware.

P.S.  It's since the patch 1.5.0 is out . Before this patch there were 0 problems !!!!

pcgamerr try without the dongle, an Xbox 360 pad will work fine, I use one every day.

If people having issues can send me a crash dump I'll take a look.
Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata and search for *.dmp

You can attach those files to this thread or PM them to me, they won't be very big.

Dear Codemasters

I have the same problem as @pcgamerr 
I can drive tracks, but as soon as I'm in the box (box-stop is possible) the game crashes. Yesterday the game still worked (it was bought yesterday), but today, everytime i'm in the box, the game crashes. Apart from the few updates, which my notebook did, I installed the game anew, but the problem is still there (even deleted the whole memory).

@darkness12951can you send me a crash dump please, instructions are in my post just above yours.

Well, I would like to do it, but I couldn't find it (currently trying to install, so it'll take some time).

I tried to find that crash-reporter, but I could not find it, searched my whole notebook up and down and it was meaningless. It's safe to say, that it wasn't installed, but who knows

Well, I've found something, but I don't know, if it has to do something with my crashing :/ and I don't know, how to send it to you
EDIT: This file is not allowed to be sent, that's why .__.

Hi can anyone help me solve this problem? The game works perfectly when starting up, intro and everything works as per normal but only when i get to the garage where the driver is sitting in the car with the timing screens, the whole F1 2016 closes itself. My nvidia geforce 960m driver is up to date and i have done everything i could find on the web but it still crashes at that particular scene

@ianvoo I believe, the problem does not lie within the pc, but more in the game. I believe, it's a new problem, because the first one (if I'm not mistaken) told about this about 10 hours ago. So we'll have to wait

@darkness12951 Oh good to know that the problem does not lie within the pc, i tried downloading f1 2015 and it works perfectly fine only f1 2016 keeps crashing. Any chance codemasters would be able to fix this problem?

update
suggestion as  per @Lozzy

I have now tried without using the Xbox one wireless dongle. Also not using the Xbox one Elite controller wirelessly. I have tried the Xbox 360 controller. Unfortunately the game still crashes as per my earlier post. Still using the same drivers with WIN 10 AU - 360.09. Disabled but NOT uninstalled GeForce Experience.

Folks I still think the problem lies within the game now !! I hope Codemasters will keep researching this problem. Too many people here have very up to date PC`s and /or gaming laptops with new drivers, processor, etc. All other new games work ok.

But I hope you nice people here will continue to keep the momentum going and find a solution. Codemasters are you reading this ?. I have had no problem with F1 2013 and 2015 and Codemasters if you read my first post you can see my system has all the necessary specs.

My next step will be to install another driver. Namely my OEM recommended drivers 362.60, ( dated 17/6/2016) a slightly retrograde step backwards from my current 369.09. But this is now clutching at straws I think. hmmm ?

Thank you all.  If at first you don`t succeed, keep trying !!

@pcgamerr I believe, installing another driver will do nothing, if the problem lies within the game, but well, who knows :flushed: maybe you'll find a solution :D 

thanks @darkness12951  for your comment.

I think you are correct. Installing new drivers that are close in scale and newness i.e 362.60 or 369.09. These are both relatively new drivers. Will not solve this problem, true !! It has to be a problem within the game. I have just verified my game cache on STEAM again !!. Still crashing after the cinematics and at the point where the driver is sat in the car and you are about to make your choice to go racing.

Far too many variables to change now. Im getting short of ideas. But will keep trying.

Thanks all.

@pcgamerr what's strange though, is, that if you're gonna repair the game, Steam finds nothing. But well, let's hope, the Codemasters will find some solution and have it fixed untill next patch :)

I still need somebody to send me a crash dump please. Without that I can only speculate as to what's causing the problem.

Lozzy said:
I still need somebody to send me a crash dump please. Without that I can only speculate as to what's causing the problem.
@Lozzy I gave quite a few dmp files and you told me that d3d driver crashed and asked me if my drivers are latest. 

I checked and they are latest,  do you think i should persue this issue with nvidia guys? 

I tried to download F1 2016 on my desktop (laptop is the one with issues) and it works perfectly fine. I tried practice,qualifying and race, everything is normal. I stopped the race halfway and tried F1 2016 again on my laptop, because of Steam Cloud, i was able to continue the race which i left off earlier and everything works perfectly fine only until when i go to the main menu and start a new quick race, my com will crash at the scene where the driver is in his garage. Not sure if the problem is with my laptop or the game itself because every other F1 game seems to work fine

Thank you all here for your constructive comments :)

Ok I need to try and include the .dmp file so Codemasters can fix this. Im working on it. !!. Please be patient Codemasters, thank you as I need to find some down time from life to get back at my PC to research this.

Crash dumps located here:

Forget anything @Lozzy told you about searching for a *.dmp, you wont find any!" The mentioned *.dmp is inside the *.zip and Windows doesn't do anything like a deep packet inspection on *.zips! in the Default Settings Windows doesn't search in *.zip files.

I've been playing this game since release and have 22 hours total. Today I've started experiencing constant crashing to the desktop. I usually only get as far as loading to the career mode session. 

I noticed there was a Patch released today? It really seems like something in the patch is causing this issue for me.

My specs are i3-6100, 16GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1060.

@Lozzy I've sent my crash dump to you.

Thanks for any help in advance.