DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2016 Random Crashing to Desktop [PC]

I played 60 Hours, i have not 1 Crash  after the Patch today my game crashes 3 Times, other League Member have the same Problem...im not in a good mood.

Update from STEAM today with new patch so now we have version 1.5.1. Sadly the game is still crashing at the same point as per my previous posts here. Very sad day for Formula 1 2016 on PC. My hardware is more than enough to run this game. Still the same drivers WIN 10 Anniversary Update drivers 369.09. Geforce Experience running in the background. All other games working ok. I will upload my crash .dmp file for you folks here. I know @Lozzy  you may like to check and look forward to any help you or anyone else on this forum may offer.

I am still on the case with this issue, but it`s not looking good. But as @EnsiFerrum  said if i may quote you this is for CODEMASTERS devs

- "I find your lack of communications disturbing" - Lord Darth Vader to Codemasters Community Manager "

Codemasters I need your assistance ? ok.

Could it be an issue with WIN 10 Anniversary Update ?.
 Could it be my drivers 369.09 ? My system is very new. See my first post from September 25th for my specs.
GeForce Experience is meant to run in the background. I have disabled this before same problem game crashes at the same point
Also verified game cache in STEAM several times.

I have also disabled any real time scanning in my Antivirus program.
For me anyway my crash to desktop happens at the same point every time so there must be a clue in that respect.

Should I try different drivers ? I really don`t think that would make a difference ??? I mean it becomes so crazy that anyone should be loading up different drivers each time you play a game !!.  in case it may crash. Ok since purchasing this game this is not the only time in my experience of games crashing, I have been here before with many other titles in the past but eventually devs will listen and resolve the issue although it takes time and is very frustrating for the person playing the game. Sometimes of course it can be something simple that goes undetected in the excitement of wanting to play a new game and you forget a few basic checks.

As hardware and software is highly developed including the change to a new OS like WIN 10 I do appreciate that devs have a tough job making their games crash free for every type of GPU, CPU mix. But having played F1 2013 and 2105 with no problems what is happening with F1 2016 ?

As always awaiting your good advice in hope.

Just read @ianvoo `s post here who said " Not sure if the problem is with my laptop or the game itself because every other F1 game seems to work fine "

I am also trying to get this game to run on my gaming laptop. And as per my previous posts it keeps crashing. I should have said that when I played F1 2013 and 2015 again it was on my slightly older laptop which is running WIN 7.

My gaming laptop at present is very new with good specs.

I am currently running Witcher 3 and Deus Ex -Mankind Divided with no problems.

ok here is an interesting theory. Could it be because my OS, WIN 10 Anniversary Update is on my c:/ drive which is an SSD along with STEAM, BUT !! my games are all running from my D:/ Drive a tradional hard drive ?. I prefer to have less clutter on my C:/ drive which stores my WIN 10. I think mnay people do this when they have multiple drives or combinations of SSD and HD. Its always good advice I think !? not to load too many games on the C:/ drive where the operating system resides.

However my Witcher 3 and Deus X_Mankind Divided also reside on my D:/ drive and they work ok

Hmmm????  What do you think ??

oops above errors when i used the colon to describe my drives. Emojis appeared.
correction -

ok here is an interesting theory. Could it be because my OS, WIN 10 Anniversary Update is on my c:/ drive which is an SSD along with STEAM, BUT !! my games are all running from my  D Drive a tradional hard drive ?. I prefer to have less clutter on my C:/ drive which stores my WIN 10. I think mnay people do this when they have multiple drives or combinations of SSD and HD. Its always good advice I think !? not to load too many games on the C:/ drive where the operating system resides.

However my Witcher 3 and Deus X_Mankind Divided also reside on my D drive and they work ok

pcgamerr said:
oops above errors when i used the colon to describe my drives. Emojis appeared.
correction -

ok here is an interesting theory. Could it be because my OS, WIN 10 Anniversary Update is on my c:/ drive which is an SSD along with STEAM, BUT !! my games are all running from my  D Drive a tradional hard drive ?. I prefer to have less clutter on my C:/ drive which stores my WIN 10. I think mnay people do this when they have multiple drives or combinations of SSD and HD. Its always good advice I think !? not to load too many games on the C:/ drive where the operating system resides.

However my Witcher 3 and Deus X_Mankind Divided also reside on my D drive and they work ok

@Lozzy told me that my crash was due to my graphics driver. 

I ended up going to Nvidia's website and downloaded the latest driver (for my GTX 1060 there was a driver update released on Sept 21). I installed that and the crash was gone! I was able to play for ~40 mins without any issues. So I would definitely suggest updating your graphics drivers if you haven't done so in a while.

Hi pcgamerr, I've seen people reporting issues with the Win 10 anniversary update but I have no idea if that's the fundamental issue. It's certainly something you can try as is updating the graphics driver to the very latest. Let me know how that goes.

just to let people know i installed the anniversary update and the game runs smoothly as it always did 

D4rio said:
just to let people know i installed the anniversary update and the game runs smoothly as it always did 
No Problems with Anniversary Update @ my end either!Can you guys with Anniversary Update and Problems with F1-2016 do the following:
  1. Open command-line with elevated rights
  2. Type sfc /scannow and let it run.
    Might take a while, you can get a cup of tea, cofee or a pint of beer.
    Hopefully it ends up with Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    This indicates that your Windows in a good shape!
    If it says that there are some Errors and they have been corrected -> all is good also.
    If it says that there are some Errors that cannot be fixed: Let sfc do his Job a second, maybe even a third time. About a year ago I had to run it on my sisters Laptop for 6(SIX!!) times to eliminate all Errors.
  3. Only when Errors found:
    Type findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    This will put a text-file named sfcdetails.txt on your desktop with the log-entries from sfc.
    With this Information it's possible to repair Windows.
Sorry that I cannot post some screenies from sfc, my PC is Running Win10 Version 1607 (Build 14936.1000) which is the lastest Insider Build. And this build has an error stopping sfc at 19%.

my specs - reminder

Gaming laptop -

Intel Core i7-6820HK 2.7 GHz Processor
32 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD Plus 512 GB PCIE SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX980M Graphics Card, 8GB VRAM Windows 10 )
original drivers were Nvidia 359.23 that came with the laptop

updated to Anniversary Update and Microsoft updated my original drivers from 359.23 to 369.09.

This is my current setup to date.

--------------------------------------

ok first of all thank you to all here for your good advice and assistance. Thanks for keeping the momentum going so that a suitable solution can be found whether desktop or laptop crash.

Thank you to Codemasters for releasing your latest patch 1.5.1. All crass jokes aside I know you are trying to help. But I hope you can still continue to provide a solution.

I can see from the up to date posts here that  a solution may be forthcoming

Thanks @spacecake1234 for your advice about the latest drivers I guess you are using 372.90 ?.

As my setup is a gaming laptop usually the manufacturer will post their own drivers, but on my last gaming laptop I used official Nvidia drivers rather than the recommended OEM ones and there were no bad effects so I will update I think.

to recap.

Game crashes after selecting Quick Race and just after the cinematics as driver sits in car and the option to go and race.
 Also happens in all other choices. Crashes after the cinematics. Multiplayer actually works but crashes after 3 laps !! This was an interesting discovery last night !!. But whatever situation, the game crashes to desktop at some point.

1. WIN 10 Anniversary Update  -  drivers 369.09 - crashes  to desktop !!

2. Verified STEAM cache - crashes to desktop !!

3. Uninstalled F1 2016 and reinstalled - crashes to desktop !!

4. Switched off real time scanning in my Antivirus program - no effect - crashes to desktop !!

5. Disabled GeForce  Experience - crashes to desktop !!

6. Set VSYNC to off in game - no effect crashes to to desktop !!.

7. I can run this game in Ultra settings no problem. So switched to HIGH - no effect - crashes to desktop !!.

8. Disabled background bloatware - no effect - crashes to desktop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok  a methodology is required for all here -

Thank you @EnsiFerrum  for your detailed "SFC - scannow" scan I am making a note for this now

I had a look at my crash DMP file. Within this  zip file are  a  DMP and an INFO file. The DMP file seems mostly to contain ASCII characters but I opened it in Notepad and amongst the ASCII characters were some intelligible system notes. The INFO file contained system information and a note of an exception.

My findings from this info is that it is graphic driver related with Direct X. I am no expert. I am sure Codemasters will be able to interpret it better. I can see above in recent posts that @Lozzy had informed @spacecake1234 that the graphic driver was an issue.

1. Good advice then for all with this issue to update their graphic driver.

or -

2. Do the SFC scannow procedure

Ok I will report back. My first will be to update to the latest graphic driver.

To be continued.......................

Thank you @EnsiFerrum  for your driver information much appreciated. I will download them, excellent !!

Ok I have been working on this issue for about 4 hours now.  I have been listening to many informed views and advice here. I was using my methodology above in my last post based on the many posts here.

My final conclusion based on all the facts is that the issue is with the Windows Anniversary Update and a Driver issue.

So from many of the helpful posts here  I was at last !! able to resolve the Desktop Crash !!.

Here are my findings -

My new gaming laptop came with the stock version of WIN 10.

I discovered a few things about it that some folks here may already know.

1. From stock WIN 10 you update to the Anniversray Update
2 When you update to the Anniversary Update a folder named "Windows.old" is created
3. So if you want to you can go back to your old version, you can via this folder which contains the previous version of WIN 10
4. When I updated to the Anniversary Update all was well, no ill effects some nice changes and no immediate issues.
5. However !! I was shocked to notice that when I did a driver check from the Nvidia Control Panel I noticed that Microsoft had updated my drivers from my original OEM drivers (359.23) to this new version 369.09. ( I since found out that I could have avoided that by making changes to the way Updates are handled from the Settings menu.
6. A little angry to say the least !!.
7. Apparently 369.09 was introduced as a means of giving stability and also updating WDDM to 2.1  ( WDDM is a graphic driver architecture for video card drivers running Microsoft Windows versions )
8. However I accepted 369.09 may be ok, after checking posts and forums on the internet, most people said 369.09 was ok.
9 But !! after looking through folders and stuff on my Anniversary Update I noticed a strange issue.  -

My Nvidia Control Panel correctly showed my system drivers as 369.09 BUT  when I looked at "Uninstall Programs from the Control Panel I noticed that all Nvidia entries were for my previous driver 359.23 !!. How could this be possible. If you install a program or VGA driver then it should appear in the "Uninstall list". So now mention of the new 369.09 in the uninstall list. How strange !!!.

I was wondering if maybe after the Anniversary Update the system was looking at the "Windows.old" folder where it picked up my previous driver.

But that is not logical. The "Uninstall List should have showed the new driver 369.09.

Ok, so I ran other games on my system Witcher 3 and Deus X - Mankind Divided and both had no problems. My system was working ok. Windows Anniversary Update appeared ok. Hmmmmmm very strange I thought.

10. Then I ran F1 2016 and it crashed to desktop !!

-------------------------------------------

So to end my story I am now wondering if the Microsoft Anniversary Update driver 369.09 were somehow overlaying my previous OEM drivers 359.23 which was causing F1 2016 to crash. But the Nvidia Control Panel still showed only 369.09 as listed !!.

I never guessed that there was a problem with this new driver as my other demanding games were working ok.

Also when I normally uninstall a program or driver I always go  to the "Uninstall Programs" list through the control panel, but still 369.09 was not listed there !! The only other way to uninstall this driver is to go to "Device Manager, select the Display Adapter, then its driver properties and then select "Uninstall" from there.

So I eventually did this. ------- Lo and behold !! I expected no drivers to appear after a restart of my system, as I had just uninstalled them !!

BUT !! when I ddi the restart I noticed that my original drivers 359.23 were all there magically recovered !!.

what the XXXX was going on !!???? I thought. Just as well that I did not uninstall them from "Uninstall Programs" list.

------------------------------------------------

Ok so I know most of you are getting bored now !!!! after reading all this nonsense !! LOL !!. Yeah I should have just updated the drivers first of all !! yeah yeah I here you say !! But as everyone here who has used a PC for more than 10 years will know that its not always so obvious since all other games were running ok. Hmmmm ???

ok-

My advice for F1 2016 crash to desktop is for those who did the update from WIN 10 to Windows Anniversary Upadate.

1.  Check your Anniversary Upadate works ok, no freezes, no odd behaviour.
2.  Check your Nvidia Control Panel and see your driver version, make a note.
3.  Check  the "Uninstall Programs " list to see what driver version is listed there
4.  Uninstall 369.09 from device manager through Display Adapter, then properties, uninstall driver.
5.  I have not installed GeForce Experience. I have just noted that version 3 has just come out, but I did not download it. I wanted to be free from any other mitigating issues.
Update your drivers to the new ones as the good advice from @EnsiFerrum and other helpful people here.
7. OR go back to your old drivers, meaning relatively old !! See if the game runs ok.
8. Nvidia driver 372.90 is good for me I just checked. I also went one step further to prove a point. I uninstalled the new driver 372.90 and installed my previous OEM version 359.23. F1 2016 runs ok !!!!!!!!!!.

But I will eat my hat !! as I have only run the game for 30mins in Quick Race. I am assuming I wont get any more crashes, fingers crossed.

-------------------------------------------

Interesting journey here in the forums. !! thank you to all of you, much appreciated !!! "Power to the people" !!

Go race !!!

To anyone whose game is still crashing then be methodical and go with the driver issue. Remove GeForce Experience and check your background bloatware. Its very easy to overload the system with background tasks.

As per the advice of folks here the DMP crash files did show an exception error within the graphics system. So thats also a good place to check.

Definately a driver issue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! assuming your system meets the recommnded specs.

Thank you.

error above " So now mention of the new 369.09 in the uninstall list. How strange !!!. " should read -

So no mention of the new 369.09 in the uninstall list. How strange !!!.

upadated LOL !! should be spelt " U P D A T E D "

Codemasters I hope you will issue a FAQ here or on your website support notes for F1 2016 about game crashes to desktop and the issue of updating from WIN 10 to the Anniversary Update and the strange issue of 369.09 being installed without the users knowledge !!. Looks like some sort of conflict as 369.09 is updated perhaps over the top of the users origianl driver OR 369.09 updates ok, BUT causes some sort of overlay issue.

Thank you

@pcgamerr
could you please tell me, where you found the Nivida Control Panel (->FOUND IT) ? (you should know, that I speak german, so I'll have some problems with finding the things :open_mouth: )
A few screenshots would be appreciated :)
So the only missing things are:
1. finding the list of "uninstalled programms"
2. finding "Display Adapter"
3. update a new driver (also found out, that mine is 369.09)
4. and checking if F1 2016 is working

ok @darkness12951 let me help.

1 click on the start menu or type into the search box where cotana awaits your every desire !! LOL

2. type "Control Panel "

3 you will see it listed in the dialogue box of entries for the word "control"

4. click to open the control panel

5. You will now see the control panel dialogue box

6 One of the entries listed is "Programs" and underneath it syas " Uninstall a program" click on that

7. Now you will see a complete list of all the programs on your PC or laptop

8. Scroll down the list looking for Nvidia entries and you will see your graphic driver version listed along with stuuf like Phsy X System Software version etc and all other versions of your Nvidia graphics components. (If you went through the Anniversary Update your old driver should be lsited here !! ) BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DELETED IT BEFORE !!

9. Check the version of your graphic driver . Make a comparison of what is listed in the "Nividia Control Panel " you can find the "Nvidia Control Panel " as shown by @EnsiFerrum . Just right click on your desktop and you will see it listed in the dialogue box.

10. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel". At the bottom left of the box you will see something called " System Information " click on this and it will open another box where you will see your driver version. ( like me it said 369.09 )

----------------------------------------------------

Next go back to the "Control Panel " list.

1. Select "Hardware and Sound"

2.  This will open another section of the control panel.  Clcik on the word "Device Manager" you will find it as it has the small blue and yellow shield icon to its left.

3. After you click on the device manager it will open another dialogue box which will now list all your hardware.

4. One of the items listed will be "Display Adapter" with a small "right arrow to its left"

5. Click on the arrow to further oprn the list.

6. Now you will see your Graphic GPU listed for example GTX 980 or whatever you have.

7. Right click on the GPU name and a small dialogue box will open.

8. Select "Properties" under the tab "Driver" you will see an entry at the bottom  which says "Uninstall". Click on this.

9. A Further dialogoe box will open with a "Warning - you are about to uninstall this device from your system"

10. But also below there is a small box to tick. "It says " Delete the driver software for this device"

11. Yes, tick this box.

12. what will happen now is that your GPU graphics driver will be deleted along with any other Nvidia software.

13. Restart your PC or laptop.

14. Now !! if you did not uninstall your old drivers previoulsy as seen in the "Uninstall a program list" then after the restart your system will pick them up, and now you can see them listed in the "Nvidia Control Panel "

15. However !! if you had deleted the old ones after your  " WIN 10 Anniversary Update " then you need to download new drivers

16. From the  "Nvidia " website or  "GeForce" website - 372.90 is the latest. However check what your OEM manufacturer of your laptop or PC recommends and install them. I found that 372.90 are ok for me. But I also tried my old driver 359.23 which also worked for me.

I hope this helps for you. Please let me know how you get on..

I still have further testing to do with F1 2016 as I only played 30 minutes. It was extremely late last night (after midnight !! ) before I resolved the issue so sleep was required. I will continue to test.

Thank you.

hahahaha ok thank you @pcgamerr :D 
I've installed Version 368.39 and it works excellent :D 
So it seems, that the problem was Version 369.09

Hello all again.

I am glad that F1 2016 is now working for some of you. Those who are still having problems do not be despondent. Experiment with different drivers. Delete 369.09 if you caried out the update to the Anniversary version. Yes I now believe that driver 369.09 as delivered by the WIN 10 Anniversary Update is to blame. However it may not be the driver on its own thats at fault, it may indeed how it is introduced to your system via the Anniversary Update. Again it was stange on my system to note that 369.09 was present in "sytem Information from the "Nvidia Control Panel" BUT when i checked my Windows Uninstall list it only showed my old driver there. I would have expected the Anniversary Update to have written over everything previously. But as i said earlier during the Anniversary Update a "Windows.old" folder is kep which has your previous WIN 10 setup. So, I am not sure whats going on here when 369.09 is introduced.

Food for thought perhaps. But anyway its time to have some fun with F1 2016 !!

Thank you again to all who post here. No credit just for me, this is all a team effort to everyone who gives up their valuable time to take the effort to see whats hapening with their system and to explore new avenues. When I subscribed here, I merely took on the facts and went a little deeper. :)

Thank you.

@pcgamerr
let me thank you too. I did not have any problems with crashing, so in this case you did not help me.
But you did a tremendous Job in writing all your findings in such a detailed way!

@Lozzy @Hoo @Britpoint @jennyannem @AndrewMather
Don't know if Codemasters has currently a Trainee or an apprentice.
If yes, he / she should write all of @pcgamerr s findings down and make a new FAQ article out of it.
If no, you should find some bored secretary do that Job. If there is no bored secretary, someone of you should start to do this Job ASAP.
And last, make a FAQ thread finally. Sticky and closed, like @Lozzy did with "Useful Information To Provide With Bugs".

Thank you for the mention folks and your applause. I guess that means I am now on the "F1 2016" podium, regarding this "F1 2016 crashes to desktop " LOL !!.

Yes I do hope Codemasters read my analysis regarding the crash and inputs this to an official FAQ on their website. It s important that forum entries here are taken seriously. It would be very easy for the developers to say " I told you so " when they keep repeating their same message about "Does your PC meet the recommended specs ?" or Have you updated to the latest drivers ?".

These suggestions are relevant and common for all game type crashes, however not everyone has a shiny new PC or gaming laptop, with top specs etc. But most folks will be aware of what is required to run this demanding game. Its just that many people will have such a varied setup on their own PC or laptop that its difficult  for Codemastersto develop a game to cover all GPU, CPU, setups. Also most people will have their own pre-installed bloatware, or Ge-Force Experience setups, and thats a personal matter for them. But running any demading game in this environement is fraught with problems. Also the latest drivers are not always relevant. Nvidia launches so many so called "Optimised" drivers for every game relase that it is so difficult to keep updating this every time we purchase a new title. Also not all new driver releases are good, many can have a detrimental effect on our games, so beware of falling into the "update trap !! " There is a figure of speech " IF IT AIN`T BROKE DON`T FIX IT "

So what I am saying is that Codemasters should read all posts here relating to the crash and not dismiss written offerings as a naive Geekish !! gamers  thought. Yes I guess some posts are not relevant here and to an expert "laughable !!" but you have to respect everyone here, they are only seeking help and guidance. Whether teenager !!, ex-console kiddie !! or some older person just trying to get their favourite PC game to work.

Windows OS systems, either WIN 7 or WIN 10 are complicated with many background processes running and the more developed they get such as WIN 10 which is more of a "connected" OS than we have ever had before, then yes games can crash. Maybe none of us are software experts, however I am sure there are people in this forum with many years of PC gaming experience and some good knowledge that I hope the game developers dont ignore.

CODEMASTERS please acknowledge this !! - thank you - and put all of my previous posts and findings in your official FAQ.  Codemasters you might raise a FAQ entitled " Game crashes after WIN 10 Anniversay Update ".  possibly relating to the introduction of driver 369.09. and the manner upon which it is delivered, and whether it over-writes or not as the case, the users previous driver before the Anniversary Update, causing perhaps some sort of conflict.

Thank you,
Cheers,
PCGAMERR

Ohh and Codemasters are you offering me a new postion in your company as post game tester!! and crash expert !!. I am not cheap, but I am not greedy. I have many years experience with PC games. If not then pass my findings to your new Trainee or Apprentice, let me help him/or her with my experience. Its a tough world out there with a great deal of competition from the new emerging Xbox and PS 4 consoles and their new editions which arrive very shortly. Also from the other big game developers. However I do believe in todays current climate that the future does look "rosy !!" for PC games whether FPS, Racing, MMO games, whatever. And certainly for F1 racing titles.

Codemasters thank you for your annual update of this great !! F1 series !!. I know you have a tough job keeping us fans happy and trying to introduce a new and varied title each year, but remember without your fan base then none of this will exist.

Thank you.