Sign in to follow this  

Take the god damn AI out of RaceNet Challenges!!!

Loore said:
> people complaining about AI behavior in both Time Attack and Race RaceNet challenges
> developer decides to bias non-party-fun challenges towards Time Attack

such logic, wow

It gives you what you want no? It lessens the effects of AI in the challenge but still keeps the 'fastest lap' style mechanic?

Either you were seriously sleep deprived when you wrote that or you were being deliberately obtuse.

After 2.5 hours worth of restarts I have emerged victorious in both Endurance and Open Wheel challenges this week. I think you should embed a new medal in the RaceNet system for getting past the first lap and those 11 overly-idiotic AI with an intact vehicle. I'm far from being a pro but I'm not a novice either, and I've had my fair share of racing games from the uber-arcade-ish ones to the SimBin simulators, but this is the single hardest and most frustrating thing I've ever done in a racing game. Dirt Showdown with IndyCars and LMPs. @Loore, guys... seriously, now. Have you tried the darned things? I truly doubt you would deem everything to be A-ok if you did. Come on, you've messed the AI up, at least take it out of the online modes. No sense in ruining those.

DLT222 said:
Zodh said:

1) every first lap is wasted, because we have a rolling start at a speed which is quite slower than possible;

You should always run a quicker outlap than a rolling start -- get used to it.

2) if we don't sit at least 20-30 seconds before the last turn of the first already_wasted lap, there's a high chance we'll get bots in the way;

You've answered your own arguement -- drop back and hit that stella lap.

3) bot placement is random for each full restart.

It's not random -- the animation sequence of the AI can be very predictable -- it depends how much time you invest in understanding how you start and how that correlates to the AI.

I don't have the answers but mere suggestions.

Good luck in racing.

1) "Get used to it"? Sorry, but what bullcrap is that? Have you ever seen a not-race with a rolling start? It makes no sense. The game forces me to waste 1 lap every time I try, plus the 20 seconds to wait. I want to play a game, not waste my time! Having the game send me into a useless lap is plain stupid and crappy programming. Look at NfS:Shift... when doing training, you gain control way before the start line, so you have it in your control to get to proper speed. 1st lap not wasted.

2) You honestly suggest waiting because of stupid AI settings?! It's a fucking game! When I start that thing I want to play and not wait ages and do nothing.

3) It is random. Look what he wrote... at each full restart... The placement of the AI is different every time and they are not the same. Look at the party challenge. There are 3 different cars... restart the race (quit and reenter, not restart!) and you will have a different order in front of you. And yes, that makes a huge difference. In some constellations you get most of the cars where they don't bother you, but in some others it is nearly impossible to pass them without losing time. I call that random.

Another week and the racenet challenges are still ruined by the scripted cars.
This week you gave us more time attack and it didnt change anything. Its about time CM starts to listen to what we're saying. We are NOT racing the scripted cars, we ARE racing the leader boards. If we want to race scripted cars we have single player to do that. 
Let us start in pos 1 in racenet challenges. That way you can keep your precious scripted cars and we will not be bothered by them unless we're driving super slow. Its not that hard to do.

i agree here. why on earth include AI anyway on them kind of challenges. especially time attack. i hope TT mode on consoles doesnt have AI too. do the devs actually have any experience with classic racing games? or are the devs newly qualified and never heard of TOCA and alike

Let us start in pos 1 in racenet challenges. That way you can keep your precious scripted cars and we will not be bothered by them unless we're driving super slow. Its not that hard to do.

That's a great idea, should be even easier than ghosting bots. 

Loore, how hard is any of that?

Problem with a lot of your guys arguments is you saying your racing the leaderboards but isn't everyone having to deal with the AI? I think so . So I concur get used to it. Hope they dont cave in to such minor bs.

The AI is never the same. They behave slightly different in every race and apart from that, the grid is shuffled, too. That means, that some stronger pilots might end up in front or in the back and therefore everyone has different situations to cope with the AI. Some might have the luck to pass every one of them at the right time, some might catch every one right in a corner. The whole purpose of time attack is spoilt by that.

If you just drive to get platinum, that's fine for you, that is possible most of the time, whatever the AI does. But to compete for the top spots, it's a pain in the ass. Yes, everyone has that problem and everyone is annoyed by that. So why keep that nonsense in the game, if it's just a single fucking variable that needs to be changed?

I don't know what you are... a huge fanboy? Someone that doesn't question anything? Do you take everything for granted and unchangable? This is an official forum, so the exact place to complain about features, that ruin the game.  But you saying 'get used to it' all the time helps no one. If anyone did that, CM would just continue that way, bringing incomplete games without logic in its core.

Zodh said:

So imagine, it's about 3am, I'm Time Attacking and out of the blue... will you see it coming?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VlY76adiCc

And a copy/paste from steam forums, because I can whine about racenet bots all day long...

Here's my typical Time Attack: 

1) every first lap is wasted, because we have a rolling start at a speed which is quite slower than possible;

2) if we don't sit at least 20-30 seconds before the last turn of the first already_wasted lap, there's a high chance we'll get bots in the way;

3) bot placement is random for each full restart.

TL DR: first lap + 30 seconds of each attempt is wasted.

I really miss Grid 2 Power Laps, where you have a standing start + only 1 lap and nobody that gets in the way. Checkpoints had no AI as well.

>end of copy/paste

I think the best/easiest solution is to ghost bots in Every. Single. Challenge. Because a challenge should not be luck based!

lol nice crash man! yeah i agree , i have gone crazy with A.I cars in  racenet challenges many times... codies must disable them..

Photonik said:

The AI is never the same. They behave slightly different in every race and apart from that, the grid is shuffled, too. That means, that some stronger pilots might end up in front or in the back and therefore everyone has different situations to cope with the AI. Some might have the luck to pass every one of them at the right time, some might catch every one right in a corner. The whole purpose of time attack is spoilt by that.

If you just drive to get platinum, that's fine for you, that is possible most of the time, whatever the AI does. But to compete for the top spots, it's a pain in the ass. Yes, everyone has that problem and everyone is annoyed by that. So why keep that nonsense in the game, if it's just a single fucking variable that needs to be changed?

I don't know what you are... a huge fanboy? Someone that doesn't question anything? Do you take everything for granted and unchangable? This is an official forum, so the exact place to complain about features, that ruin the game.  But you saying 'get used to it' all the time helps no one. If anyone did that, CM would just continue that way, bringing incomplete games without logic in its core.

How about I just read and no need to post the same stuff over and over when CM has already said that some stuff will be addressed into upcoming patches.

I thought RaceNet Challenge was supposed to be an 'online challenge'.. So what is it with the AI? Please take them out Codemasters!

Problem with a lot of your guys arguments is you saying your racing the leaderboards but isn't everyone having to deal with the AI? I think so . So I concur get used to it. Hope they dont cave in to such minor bs.

I agree with you with the first part, we all have to race with them so it's kind of fair to all.

I disagree with the second though, because they are so pityfully crap the fight is against them and not some online leaderboards.

They are just spastic blocks in the middle of the road.

Although I care little about achievements, I'm now getting annoyed by that crap myself....They're not even a tenth of a challenge....

Ollie24 said:

I thought RaceNet Challenge was supposed to be an 'online challenge'.. So what is it with the AI? Please take them out Codemasters!

Kinda makes no sense what you just said . An "online challenge " when your racing online are you racing by yourself or with others ? 

I meant thick as a brick, which is another expression  I guess, I'm happy if your girlfriend enjoys it.

Joke aside, the AI IS useless, I'm sorry if u feel like you have to defend it.

How about I just read and no need to post the same stuff over and over when CM has already said that some stuff will be addressed into upcoming patches.
The more we complain, the more prioritized this issue becomes, it speeds up the process. You can test this anywhere in real life.

I like the AI in RACENET CHALLENGE. It makes it more challenging.

You must be racing with their pace then. Because to others bots are more annoying than challenging. Racing vs. leaderboards - that's the challenge.

Open Wheel Challenge - having to stop for 35/40 seconds on the first lap so that the 1st AI car completes a lap, catches me up and I can get the hammer down.  This. Is. Frickin. Stupid.

REMOVE THE AI, OR UP THERE SKILL LEVEL

Ollie24 said:

Kinda makes no sense what you just said . An "online challenge " when your racing online are you racing by yourself or with others ? 

How does it make no sense? It is effectively an online thing as you are competing against your friends and the world for quick lap times etc..

+1 to This. The AI is a joke in general i have to say. Countless times i am hit, blocked or bashed about by them

We want to race where skill is the decider, not luck. With scripted cars involved the worse driver can beat the good driver because he got lucky with the  scripted cars or found a way to overtake them outside the track without getting penalized.

But somehow I think you are just in this thread to troll when all you can say is: get used to it.

If you want to drive the scripted cars then you can do that. CM made an entire part of the game dedicated to just that. Its called single player.